Geoff Molson - When will he understand?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Norlinder is not at NHL level yet. He is barely starting in the Swedish top league. Let's wait and see. But habs took a huge risk trading (if they were loving him so much) a second for a third. So many, many other teams thought Norlinder was nothing special and did not care to draft him.

Your not telling me or anybody anything we already don't know. What's your point? Value pre draft is the same as draft +1 and +2 coming up? Norlinder is going to disappoint? You act like your telling us something that is new info ? Prospect do disappoint yes. But are you seriously acting like Norlinder's value today is the same as it was when we drafted him? Come on man.

Fact: We acquired Norlinder through the Patch trade and he is far from heading into bust territory. Your pessimistic stance don't trump this. Keep trying

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I was not crazy at all about the trade. Giving your top D prospect is a very risky business. We saw it in the past with the McDonagh for Gomez trade. But Drouin was an amazing player in the Q ( drafted 3rd Overall) and was seeming to reach his potential during his last Playoffs with TB.

Habs traded Sergachev after they got a good look at him... same as the Knights with Suzuki. Both made calculation errors on their future growth when they traded for the proven NHL talent using futures.

Reactions: dcyhabs

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
My post solely pertains on the title of the topic, but I've lost all hope on Molson. He's literally just a féfan running the team.

It's both depressing and hilarious at the same time.

Reactions: Gains

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
True, but Vegas got a proven player in Max, Habs got Laflamme, who has been worse with the Habs than he was with the Bolts.

I have not given up on Drouin yet. I think if Suzuki and KK mature in to 2C's, the results are different from several players. Drouin needs a stable spot with a real top 2C. He's never had it for a full season yet.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I have not given up on Drouin yet. I think if Suzuki and KK mature in to 2C's, the results are different from several players. Drouin needs a stable spot with a real top 2C. He's never had it for a full season yet.
I hope you are right...............I am still waiting for MB to be a good GM too, but that is not looking good at all. As Habs fans, all we do is hope these days, pretty sad times.
Mol$on meanwhile just counts his money, and is ok with the team finishing 24th....

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Habs traded Sergachev after they got a good look at him... same as the Knights with Suzuki. Both made calculation errors on their future growth when they traded for the proven NHL talent using futures.

I dont think Habs misjudged Sergachev they were always really high on him.

I think it simply comes down to Habs expecting more from Drouin.

Reactions: Amerika

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I dont think Habs misjudged Sergachev they were always really high on him.

I think it simply comes down to Habs expecting more from Drouin.

Fair. I have not lost hope of the soft skilled/skating Drouin yet. Age 25-30 years to come at the same time as when the centers are maturing? If Drouin can put it together with better talent to play with, it's on him.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
ESPN had an article and they spoke with players in the bubble under the guise of anonymity. And they were able to share some stories on how life in the bubble was/has been.

Here is one player who spoke about Montreal:

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
True, but Vegas got a proven player in Max, Habs got Laflamme, who has been worse with the Habs than he was with the Bolts.

Exactly. As good as Suzuki is, Vegas got exactly what they wanted, and more, in Patches. While I'm sure they wish they had given MB the player he wanted in Glass instead of Suzuki, at the time of the trade there was no reason to believe Nick would surpass Cody as much as he has.

Either way, Vegas still makes that deal even with Nick's progress. Not at all comparable to MBs gaffe moving Sergachev for Drouin.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Exactly. As good as Suzuki is, Vegas got exactly what they wanted, and more, in Patches. While I'm sure they wish they had given MB the player he wanted in Glass instead of Suzuki, at the time of the trade there was no reason to believe Nick would surpass Cody as much as he has.

Either way, Vegas still makes that deal even with Nick's progress. Not at all comparable to MBs gaffe moving Sergachev for Drouin.

I hate to bring this up again, but when you look at it on paper at the time, with or without hindsight;

Montreal Canadiens Captain, best point getter on the habs by a fair margain, top 5 best LWer for goal scoring during the previous 7 years, plays PP and PK, can eat 20+ minutes a night safely as a defensive minded scorer. Wweet heart 4.5 million contract habs will retain even more salary on for the deal :eek: Made David Desharnais look like a #1 center. (Goes on to just shy of PPG player on their team!) Star caliber player to draw fans in entertainment mecca vegas.

Vegas-underperforming, bad playoff player, contract dump of tatar 5.4 million, AHL center with the depth to not care as much as a star level 1LW they needed, a second round pick end of the next season (sept trade) that would take at least 3 or more years to develop, even if its a good pick. With an already full stable of picks to develop thanks to the expansion draft. Win now mode! We even traded that second to get a 3rd and 5th. Norlinder was 64th overall.

They still win this trade. Suzi has been great for us and Nor might be a good 4th dman...but this is already 3 years out from the trade and we have a great promise but it doesn't beat the value they got in that trade, regardless of tatars couple of 'good' seasons or how good our future might be with suzuki.

At the time of the trade it was a HUGE win for vegas. We know how patches is a complimentary player, but on paper he looks like a lot more.

We have people that say 2+ round picks are inter changeable and have little value. So its of little consequence when its Dvorak, but a win when MB does it with Patches. Otherwise contract dumps usually net you picks and prospects anyway. So in essence VGK Suzuki(magic beans AHL player at the time) for Patches-win now move. Tatar and 2nd round to dump contract and make the money work. I hope Suzuki can be a PPG player for us, as max has been for vegas, but that remains to be seen.

Ryan McDonagh, Scott Gomez and what the Canadiens paid to go for it - Sportsnet.ca Nice tree that we enabled in this trade.

The cost of trading a bad Contract salary dump discussion here.

Cam York? First-round pick? NHL teams asking silly prices to take on salary

The Philadelphia Flyers finally cleared some salary on Thursday afternoon. They traded Shayne Gostisbehere and his $4.5 million cap hit (along with second- and seventh-round picks) to the Arizona Coyotes for that cap relief.

Last edited:

Bring Bak Damphousse

Fire Bergevin...into the Sun
May 27, 2002
Canada
once you realize that it is not a cherrished hobby but a bad habit, you finally will be liberated. ;)

I always felt like you have to suffer a bit as a fan, to truly enjoy the winning when it happens. Thats crazy though, sports are supposed to be fun, I cancelled my sportsnet and have been mostly ignoring the habs this year and I feel great, I’ve lost weight and my hairs growing back, highly recommend lol.

amethyst

#10 Forever
Mar 15, 2013

I think this was his last public appearance but it's been radio silence from him since the summer. Do something :(

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Molson is actually doing better than I would have expected this year. I guess the problem is that previously he left people in roles that they didn't do particularly well at, Lefebvre for years... But then Julien went at a sort of crazy time. I liked Friedman's 32 thoughts comment that you get "tombstone trades" when the team is bad, that is trades bad enough they follow you to your grave. The Dvorak trade and this year's signings were dumb, and they'll damage the team for years, but there's at least a chance we aren't hearing about them when Bergevin dies, at least not if he manages to trade them all reasonably. It's a dump year not a splash year.

I don't know if Houle should stay, the team is not doing well but they lost their best players, like the NHL team. I don't know if Ducharme is the guy once the team is good. Bergevin, if he stays absolutely needs someone above him with vision to second guess him, and veto both some of the trades and signings, and some of the the non-signings. I would much rather have Danault then Hoffman, Dvorak, and Savard. I'd take Danault over all 3.

Molson seems to want just a few things:
  • To make money.
  • Not to have to do much himself.
  • To look like he's in charge.
  • To have the last word on money decisions.
He doesn't seem all that invested in the team winning. He doesn't want to fight with people, and he's happy to let Bergevin make whatever moves he wants. He doesn't want to worry about the team workings.

The only way this works out for us is if Bergevin refuses to come back and Molson flukes out with his next hire. I was happy with Bergevin the last year or two, but this offseason just stunk. There is no vision, stuff gets better or worse at random. The cup run was a lot of fun, though, and worth a bad year or three. It would be worth four or five bad years to stop the mediocre "maybe we'll make the playoffs" results, and actually contend a bit.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
His ego won't let him hire someone competent to run the team as President.
And it would be an easy solution. President cans craptastic management group and puts into place anything better. Pres could be franco, anglo, hell I would settle for orcko the tolkien kind or that stupid little character from he-man. If he is anglo pres then a french GM. If he is Franco-best GM possible please. Puts a kibosh on the language issue and hopefully we start rebuilding properly.

Another thing that would help the habs-Quebec gets their team. Then habs would have to start being competitive again.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
I mean it would help having two hockey heads. So i agree. But still, if we get a bad president, he could continually hire bad GM's.

One name I'd consider as president is Bob Gainey.
Ever since Bob Gainey’s daughter Alice was lost at sea and wasn’t recovered, Gainey lost all interests in NHL hockey.

Reactions: 26Mats

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad