News Article: Geoff Molson re-affirms confidence in Marc Bergevin, will not hire a president of hockey operations

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
So much for building through the draft. Would have respected him more if he just traded every pick and prospect for players since they can't draft and develop anything.

People still defending Timmins is unreal.

Thing is, pre bergevin our overall drafting (as far as NHL talent vis a vis draft range and depth as far a nhl games from drafted players) with Timmins in the organization, was top tier...
The shift to MB as GM, & his chosen AHL/Nhl coaches & hockey ops staff, even though he started with a top 3 draft picking year, and hasn't traded away a 1st until this summer, is what most directly correlates with our franchise becoming a bottom tier team in drafting & development... did timmins regress or get worse at his job over time, or did the new GM usher in a decade of dismal internal ops?

Who knows, and at this point, matters little... the whole thing needs to be dumped & allow for a new group to start over

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Interesting take at Prospect Ramblings: Cold Caufield, Rashevsky's Red-Hot Start, a Word on Kayumov

Main take on Caufield is that the habs make their prospects mediocre by focusing on and working on their weaknesses instead of using their strengths. He's got a point, working on a weakness is a good thing to do, but maybe do it in the minors and try to put the player in a position to succeed in the NHL.

Edit: conclusion, "I still believe Caufield is too good to be ruined by this organization, but the Habs will need to clean up their treatment of young players in order to get anything meaningful accomplished in the near future."

Last edited:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Claude Lemieux wasn't a star player. The org has also generally been shit at managing expectations since they're allergic to rebuilding for whatever reason.

You also generally need more than one star player to avoid the whole wilting thing. Like so much else, its not a unique thing to Montreal, its just something Montreal thinks is unique to Montreal.
Claude Lemieux was real good player in playoffs though.

Canadiens going to continue on downward spiral. They have key players with huge contracts who are on the back 9 or about to enter the clubhouse. Not enough in the farm to replace that kind of skill and Timmins is not that good at recognizing skill. He is average at his best. We will continue to go down bottoming out around 2025 or 2026. When these contracts are done. Next 3-5 years going to be darkest in Habs history

High probability a star top pick in draft will not stand pressure here. He is going to be blown away.

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Interesting take at Prospect Ramblings: Cold Caufield, Rashevsky's Red-Hot Start, a Word on Kayumov

Main take on Caufield is that the habs make their prospects mediocre by focusing on and working on their weaknesses instead of using their strengths. He's got a point, working on a weakness is a good thing to do, but maybe do it in the minors and try to put the player in a position to succeed in the NHL.

Edit: conclusion, "I still believe Caufield is too good to be ruined by this organization, but the Habs will need to clean up their treatment of young players in order to get anything meaningful accomplished in the near future."
This has been a problem with the organization for a long, long time. Offensive players like Caufield aren't put in positions to succeed very often. And hell, non-offensive players are sometimes put in offensive positions and also don't succeed. It's a mess and it has been for a long time.

We develop a lot of decent 3rd liners and below because that's either what we draft or what we force players to work on.

Unfortunately, I disagree with the article. No prospect is too good for the Montreal Canadiens to ruin.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I can guarantee you 100% Habs will hire a bilingual GM after they saw what happened to Air Canada with his anglophone CEO. News journos went batsh*t crazy. As for the coach position expect the exact same...
More than the journalists, provincial politicians from all the parties ensured it merited front page / click bait attention

I agree the next GM always was going to be & will always be able to communicate en francais

sharknado

Aug 22, 2014
More than the journalists, provincial politicians from all the parties ensured it merited front page / click bait attention

I agree the next GM always was going to be & will always be able to communicate en francais
I think this logic is mainly from the old generation. Once these dinosaurs die, the newer generation, which have no issue speaking 3 languages, will see no issue in having a sports team hire the best person for the job. The newer generation have no idea what the habs were upto the 70's and thats where all the talk about the habs being a culture should stop because we have done absolutely nothing since then.

Reactions: iamtalbot

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
I think this logic is mainly from the old generation. Once these dinosaurs die, the newer generation, which have no issue speaking 3 languages, will see no issue in having a sports team hire the best person for the job. The newer generation have no idea what the habs were upto the 70's and thats where all the talk about the habs being a culture should stop because we have done absolutely nothing since then.
they dont need to die. You need a leader with balls. WHo will say it is what it is , for a few weeks, many will threaten this and that and if the team wins, no one will ever give a damn again.
fortune favors the brave and we are led by cowards

sharknado

Aug 22, 2014
they dont need to die. You need a leader with balls. WHo will say it is what it is , for a few weeks, many will threaten this and that and if the team wins, no one will ever give a damn again.
fortune favors the brave and we are led by cowards
Most are close to passing but I agree, a leader with balls would be ideal. Roy would seem to be the only one with balls and can get us out of this language nonsense.

Reactions: Kimota

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I can guarantee you 100% Habs will hire a bilingual GM after they saw what happened to Air Canada with his anglophone CEO. News journos went batsh*t crazy. As for the coach position expect the exact same...

The thing about that type of backlash is you just let people vent and rant, tire themselves out and move on.

Mandala

Dec 7, 2006
The thing about that type of backlash is you just let people vent and rant, tire themselves out and move on.

Air Canada has a long history of opposition to francophones. Even when it was a public entity. You don't see that in European airlines used to multilingual clients.

The Habs are a real private company but they have a multilingual market. It makes sense that in such a case, the leaders can communicate with the market.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Air Canada has a long history of opposition to francophones. Even when it was a public entity. You don't see that in European airlines used to multilingual clients.

The Habs are a real private company but they have a multilingual market. It makes sense that in such a case, the leaders can communicate with the market.

You know what I do when a French tweet comes out with a quote from DD or MB? Click translate tweet.

When a RDS article is in French? Use Google translate on the page.

When a press conference happens and the response is in French? Read the subtitles.

There's way to get the message if it isn't in your first language and again, for the thousand times I've asked, why does it matter what language the GM is talking in when the message is that they are incompetent and don't know how to succeed?

Eventually someone needs to put success over politics and if they aren't prepared to do that they need to start investing in their own people so they have a more diverse, qualified and developed pool of executives and coaches to choose from.

Reactions: Mr Mom

Mandala

Dec 7, 2006
You know what I do when a French tweet comes out with a quote from DD or MB? Click translate tweet.

When a press conference happens and the response is in French? Read the subtitles.

There's way to get the message if it isn't in your first language and again, for the thousand times I've asked, why does it matter what language the GM is talking in when the message is that they are incompetent and don't know how to succeed?

Eventually someone needs to put success over politics and if they aren't prepared to do that they need to start investing in their own people so they have a more diverse, qualified and developed pool of executives and coaches to choose from.

Straw argument. Communication AND competence are required.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Straw argument. Communication AND competence are required.

Communication can be done in a variety of ways - as long as you receive the message and can get the message in your language, why does it matter the language of its origin?

If the general manager of the Montreal Canadiens was competent and never spoke a word to anyone, I wouldn't care at all. In fact, I don't care what Bergevin says in english or french because most of the times, what he says doesn't align with what he does.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017

Montreal Canadiens won't hire a general manager that isn't bilingual.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad