Generic Tank Thread - The end is nigh...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
We all want the same thing for this team... A cup. People will have their different opinions on how we get there... Obviously I think anti-tankers are very wrong, and that winning at this point will only hurt us, but that's my opinion. I think we desperately need elite young talent to replace the Sedins, and I don't think that the prospects we have now will do that. Some may beg to differ...

It's historically proven that you need elite talent to win a cup, outside of a few fluke runs... Chicago has top picks in their lineup, LA has top picks in their lineup... etc... It's the way to build a contender in this league. We were able to build one around prime Kesler, Luongo and the Sedins. That's 4 elite players, with a lot of very good players surrounding them... I, personally, think that we have a lot of potential 'very good' players in our prospect pool... I just think we need elite. Could some turn into elite level players? Sure, but a top 3 pick makes the chance of that increase a lot.
I've been a Canucks fan longer than most of you have been alive. I remember Harold Snepts atrocious giveaway in game one overtime of the Stanley Cup finals against the New York Islanders in 1982. I don't think I have ever forgiven Harold for that. I remember of course the 1994 Stanley Cup finals 12 years later and in my opinion, the greatest brief snapshot of time to be a Canucks fan. My father was a Canucks fan. He died in 2008 and never had the privilege of seeing them win a cup. I may follow him. I don't know. I come from a pro 'hockey family' with two close relatives who played pro hockey. One had stints with the Blues and Hawks, the other was a perennial all star in the minors whom Don Cherry likes to mention frequently on Coach's Corner and who went on to win coach of the year in the old WHA. I was expected to carry on the family legacy when my older cousin failed to make the pros. When I also failed to make the pros my family practically disowned me. We still hardly talk. Hockey blood may run in the veins of my family but I suppose empathy is a scarce commodity.

That is a bit of my pedigree when it comes to hockey and the Canucks. As a Canucks fan I am not better than you nor am I worse.

No one holds any moral superiority over me because I still root for the Canucks to win every single time they step on the ice. I cheer every goal and mourn every loss. It is simply not in my DNA to root for the Canucks to lose, even if it means getting a higher draft pick. Some of you will understand and get this, others will not. Maybe this comes from the same competitive spirit that I displayed on the ice - I don't know, but I cannot and will never cheer for my team to lose. And I will not begrudge those of you who feel different. I understand your motivations and they make perfect sense. Just please do not begrudge those of us who feel as I do.

canwincup

Aug 28, 2008
Van city
aka fans try to rationalize any draft position to make themselves feel better

I'm not trying to make myself feel better....the top 3 is a lottery obviously the top three players are impact players, but finishing last doesn't guarantee anything. All I'm saying is that there isn't much separation between Dubois, Chychrun, Tkachuk, Juolevi. IMO

Numbers

Sep 26, 2011
I'm not trying to make myself feel better....the top 3 is a lottery obviously the top three players are impact players, but finishing last doesn't guarantee anything. All I'm saying is that there isn't much separation between Dubois, Chychrun, Tkachuk, Juolevi. IMO

Very true and if Canucks get Chychrun or Juolevi can't complain. That would significantly improve young defence. Future top 4 could be:

Hutton - Tanev
Chychrun/Juolevi - Tryamkin

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
I've been a Canucks fan longer than most of you have been alive. I remember Harold Snepts atrocious giveaway in game one overtime of the Stanley Cup finals against the New York Islanders in 1982. I don't think I have ever forgiven Harold for that. I remember of course the 1994 Stanley Cup finals 12 years later and in my opinion, the greatest brief snapshot of time to be a Canucks fan. My father was a Canucks fan. He died in 2008 and never had the privilege of seeing them win a cup. I may follow him. I don't know. I come from a pro 'hockey family' with two close relatives who played pro hockey. One had stints with the Blues and Hawks, the other was a perennial all star in the minors whom Don Cherry likes to mention frequently on Coach's Corner and who went on to win coach of the year in the old WHA. I was expected to carry on the family legacy when my older cousin failed to make the pros. When I also failed to make the pros my family practically disowned me. We still hardly talk. Hockey blood may run in the veins of my family but I suppose empathy is a scarce commodity.

That is a bit of my pedigree when it comes to hockey and the Canucks. As a Canucks fan I am not better than you nor am I worse.

No one holds any moral superiority over me because I still root for the Canucks to win every single time they step on the ice. I cheer every goal and mourn every loss. It is simply not in my DNA to root for the Canucks to lose, even if it means getting a higher draft pick. Some of you will understand and get this, others will not. Maybe this comes from the same competitive spirit that I displayed on the ice - I don't know, but I cannot and will never cheer for my team to lose. And I will not begrudge those of you who feel different. I understand your motivations and they make perfect sense. Just please do not begrudge those of us who feel as I do.

The solution is quite simple my friend. Do as I do and cheer for other teams to win more than your team to end the season. That way you can still be loyal to your team and its future!

NucksRuleYep

Feb 19, 2013
1-8-1 in our last 10

We shouldnt even be down this low. We are lucky. We should be up with Buffalo and Arizona.

Be happy and enjoy our loss tomorrow against Anaheim.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..

Hey, absolutely fair enough, and I respect this comment. I've had enough of toiling in mediocrity, though. 2011 was our first real 'go for it' year. 1994 was great, but no one really expected to do the things that team did... It was a cinderella team, just like the '82 team was... As much as winning is fun and every fan likes to see the players on their team succeed, it's much different now...Losing is beneficial.. As a fan who's been through a lot of mediocre years watching this team, and seeing the great teams built off the backs of legendary players knock us out of the playoffs year after year, (Red Wings, Avalanche, Ducks, Blackhawks, Kings) etc, it makes me want to get out of 'mediocrity'.

The best way to do that is having elite players on your team to build around. I was ecstatic when we drafted the Sedins... When Burke made the ballsy move to get them both... It was genuine excitement.. Genuine hope that we found the next two superstars to lead this team.. and we did. They have given us some great years, and taken us from the 'mediocre' or 'Very good' territory to a genuine contender. I want that again. I am willing to sacrifice a year, or two, or three for long term success to see a kid like Matthews, Laine or Puljujarvi, elite dubbed players, throw on a Canuck jersey and put everything on the line for this team... I want to see the city of Vancouver genuinely excited again. I want the highest chance at a cup we can get.

I do respect your loyalty to winning, though, and I look forward to cheering the Canucks on with you when the wins actually don't hurt the long term success of this team. I just can't find it in me to cheer for wins, knowing it could be the difference between picking an elite player, or another 'very good' player.

canwincup

Aug 28, 2008
Van city
Very true and if Canucks get Chychrun or Juolevi can't complain. That would significantly improve young defence. Future top 4 could be:

Hutton - Tanev
Chychrun/Juolevi - Tryamkin

Exactly if we draft Chychrun or Juolevi we're one dman away from having our future top 4 set. Maybe Tryamkin will be the guy we'll see.

pahlsson

Mar 22, 2012
ya i'll definitely be glad to have gone through this season and end up with a 2nd pairing dman

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Not sure about a lottery system that provides for the 30th place team only having a 20 percent chance of winning the draft lottery....but whatever happens in the last five games, Canucks will get a good player, hopefully an impact d-man.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Hey, absolutely fair enough, and I respect this comment. I've had enough of toiling in mediocrity, though. 2011 was our first real 'go for it' year. 1994 was great, but no one really expected to do the things that team did... It was a cinderella team, just like the '82 team was... As much as winning is fun and every fan likes to see the players on their team succeed, it's much different now...Losing is beneficial.. As a fan who's been through a lot of mediocre years watching this team, and seeing the great teams built off the backs of legendary players knock us out of the playoffs year after year, (Red Wings, Avalanche, Ducks, Blackhawks, Kings) etc, it makes me want to get out of 'mediocrity'.

The best way to do that is having elite players on your team to build around. I was ecstatic when we drafted the Sedins... When Burke made the ballsy move to get them both... It was genuine excitement.. Genuine hope that we found the next two superstars to lead this team.. and we did. They have given us some great years, and taken us from the 'mediocre' or 'Very good' territory to a genuine contender. I want that again. I am willing to sacrifice a year, or two, or three for long term success to see a kid like Matthews, Laine or Puljujarvi, elite dubbed players, throw on a Canuck jersey and put everything on the line for this team... I want to see the city of Vancouver genuinely excited again. I want the highest chance at a cup we can get.

I do respect your loyalty to winning, though, and I look forward to cheering the Canucks on with you when the wins actually don't hurt the long term success of this team. I just can't find it in me to cheer for wins, knowing it could be the difference between picking an elite player, or another 'very good' player.
I know losing makes sense and I'm also tired of the same things you are. Hell this is a paradox for me. I just wanted to make the point that no matter which side you're on that no one has the right to accuse anyone else of not being a fan, or being stupid. I've seen some of that around here from both sides and no one holds any high moral ground here.

canwincup

Aug 28, 2008
Van city
ya i'll definitely be glad to have gone through this season and end up with a 2nd pairing dman

You could lose every game in a season and you would still have a 20% chance at first overall, the odds aren't great.....I don't think the season would be a waste if we end up with one of those players I mentioned.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
Not sure about a lottery system that provides for the 30th place team only having a 20 percent chance of winning the draft lottery....but whatever happens in the last five games, Canucks will get a good player, hopefully an impact d-man.
we need to relax,because we will get a great player this year,and dim Jim is going to guide us in another top pick next year as well.I am still holding out hope for a top 3 this year.

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
we need to relax,because we will get a great player this year,and dim Jim is going to guide us in another top pick next year as well.I am still holding out hope for a top 3 this year.

I can't relax because the inmates are running the asylum.

I expect we will probably end up drafting around 6th after tonight's win. And with Weisbrod at the helm drafting, we could end up off the board with a top ranked yank like Bellows or Keller.

We need to end up in the top three this year to avoid such a disaster.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
I can't relax because the inmates are running the asylum.

I expect we will probably end up drafting around 6th after tonight's win. And with Weisbrod at the helm drafting, we could end up off the board with a top ranked yank like Bellows or Keller.

We need to end up in the top three this year to avoid such a disaster.
i hear what your saying,but the tank is not over yet,,,and Keller could be the steal of the draft,,but having these idiots run this team scares the crap outta me too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad