OT: General Video Game Discussion IX

Wabit

May 23, 2016
@Wabit I see you lurking. Buy it.

I fear I'm hyping it up too much, but for me it's amazing lol

Memorial Day is one of those bad/dark days for me. I can't give an accurate game review right now. I tried it it was bad. Then I tried a review of RDR2, and it ended up in the meh category. I didn't even take the balls deep bait for D4 earlier. It's a Stardew Valley and a 6pack night for me.

Reactions: Soldier13Fox

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Oh, I've been meaning to check that out. Maybe after this (and before elden ring dlc)
Its been a lot of fun. I havent played since S1. Its super easy to level up now, the helltide changes have been great. theres legit end game gear to grind for and seek out with the greater affixes rolls, most builds are viable. Ive level multiple characters to lvl 100 (lost one of them) this season. Ive gotten to lvl 30+ in an hour just running helltides in WT2 from the start. Leveling your glyphs in the NMD isnt nearly as bad as it was before either.

If you didnt like it before whether it was the skill tree, classes. or skills you probably wont like it now either. But if you did its definetely worth coming back to and giving it a go. Genuinely a step in the right direction.

@Wabit What D4 bait? lol You not a fan?

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Shadow of the Erdtree is out in a couple weeks. I think I'm going to get crazy and see of I can make a game out of a pure INT build to start. And then revert back to, the best, STR/FTH build when it sucks

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Finished Ghost of Tsushima and the DLC.

11/10

Just a fabulous game all around. Story, combat, graphics, visuals, style, music... perfect.

Not going to try and get my first platinum... I just don't care about chasing those boring details. Did all the side quests and everything notable on the map. After just over 100 hours that's enough for me. Game deleted with satisfaction.

Now I'm just waiting for elden ring dlc to drop, dipping my toes into star ocean 2 remaster until then.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Finished Ghost of Tsushima and the DLC.

11/10

Now I'm just waiting for elden ring dlc to drop, dipping my toes into star ocean 2 remaster until then.

So it's either it's very good and above the rating scale, or it's a very bad 1.1 score. :huh:

I've tried star ocean 2 a couple of times. I don't know if I can't get in to it, or I just don't have the time to play it. Seems like every time I sit down to play a game I'm called away to do something.

Reactions: Soldier13Fox

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
So it's either it's very good and above the rating scale, or it's a very bad 1.1 score. :huh:

I've tried star ocean 2 a couple of times. I don't know if I can't get in to it, or I just don't have the time to play it. Seems like every time I sit down to play a game I'm called away to do something.
It's very good and above the ratings scale, lol. I love that game. Right up near the top all time for me.

Yeah, not too sure about star ocean... JRPGs are extremely hit or miss for me. We'll see.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
It's very good and above the ratings scale, lol. I love that game. Right up near the top all time for me.

Yeah, not too sure about star ocean... JRPGs are extremely hit or miss for me. We'll see.

It was a good game. I'd say it was at the top of what ps4 graphics could be. Not an all time best for me, but for sure a game worth playing. GoT is free if you have the ps+ subscription, RDR2 is on the ps+ now too. I have the top tier, so it might not be on lower tiers?

I usually like JRPGs and give them a lot of rope to hang themselves before I give up on them.

I've been playing some sim game lately. It's nothing special, but it's a game that has kept my attention and I can just pause it and go do the random things the wife tells me to do without missing a beat.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
If you’re itching for a 4x off the same ilk, try out Humankind

I have that on my wishlist for Steam. My PC can't handle it and it looks like a game that if I played it on a console I'd just be mad that I wasn't playing on the PC and quit.

I did just go on a shopping spree at Target. They had a bunch of games on clearance. Not games I'm really interested in but for $6-$8 each I'll give them a try. The Mario/Rabbids game for the Switch was $20 so I got that for the wife.

Persona 3 hit the $30 price point for me at Walmart, so I picked that up. Elden Ring was down to $30 (IIRC) at Walmart too.

I'm still waiting for RDR1 remake to drop to $30 and I'll probably buy that then.

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Yep. Star ocean isn't for me. Elden ring DLC comes out soon. May as well just start my new playthru and hope they don't change stuff too much when it drops. Let's see how this pure INT build goes, fully expect to be rolling STR/FTH in a week, that's my jam.

Ugh. I've barely even started and I miss my STR/FTH security blanket.

Last edited:

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Gave up on the INT build pretty quick. Back in the STR/FTH nest and comfy.

This is a weird game to replay from scratch. A large part of the, I don't know, joy, playing it blind when it first came out was the open world and exploration. That exploration led you to grind which led you to level up, which led you to progressing naturally. Playing it again... I know all the story beats. I know where I have to go, know the map, most of the interesting places, where I should go, and it's nowhere near as a "holy shit." With the other way more linear From games you can replay them and it's an A to B or C decision (and C might rock your world so you go back to B).

Honestly, not sure where I was going with this. I guess the end result is I'm stuck in a conundrum. I know I need to go to stormveil and progress the story, but I also know i need to go to Weeping peninsula to explore and level up. But it's not really exploring at this point since i know everything down there like the back of my hand. Kind of feels like a chore.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
The wife got me "Atlas Fallen" from the library. Has anyone played this?

It seems like a game I should like, but everything about it is annoying me as I'm trying to get into the game. I don't know if it's the game or me. I've been fighting a migraine on and off since Monday, so I don't know if I'm just out of patience with the world at this point.

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
The wife got me "Atlas Fallen" from the library. Has anyone played this?

It seems like a game I should like, but everything about it is annoying me as I'm trying to get into the game. I don't know if it's the game or me. I've been fighting a migraine on and off since Monday, so I don't know if I'm just out of patience with the world at this point.
I think I briefly heard about it with not great, but also not bad, reviews.

I am in the thick of my new Elden Ring playthrough. My last thoughts were entirely incorrect. I still find myself lost in the world even though it's not new and I know (most) everything. Just a masterclass game.

More Cooley

We walk together forever
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2015
Any cities skylines players here? Im still playing CS1 because CS2 is supposedly mediocre at best, but I heard there is a large game changing patch released today (for CS2).

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Finally reached the DLC.

I wasnt going to play on release because ive done 3 separate play throughs in the last 6 months but i couldnt resist.

I took a bit longer and didnt b line it straight for the DLC, got as far as setting the tree on fire. Wanted to make sure i had all the bell bearings for weapons and summons before i moved on, also this game is just so effin good its easy to get sucked back into it.

Up until now ive been using the Magma Blades, easily one of the coolest weapons ive come across in the base game, plus the ash of war on them is super effin cool. Theyre really rare with a 1% drop rate from 2 enemies in volcano manor so it took me a couple hours to farm for them but it wasnt all bad with some item discovery buffs.
1719605295599.png

This is what they look like. Its a strength/ faith build but i could easily see myself switching it up to something new i find in the DLC in fact i want to at some point.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN

This game made me cry a couple times, made me laugh more than a couple times, and made me think. I recommend only playing one chapter per day, and letting yourself ruminate on what you learned, and ponder where it may be going and what it all means to you. The game is only 10 chapters, each chapter took me roughly an hour to an hour and a half.

I guess I can give more info than this. It's sort of a walking simulator, which has a negative connotation and almost kept me from buying it. I'm glad I gave it a chance. There's a little bit of resistance when you go to the main hub area for the first time, as it's a bit labyrinthine, but your mind will make a mental map fairly quickly and it's worth powering through it.
It's very story rich, fully voice acted (well), and its game systems inform and enhance its story and the emotional impact of it. I recommend going into it knowing as little as possible. That's not as important as it would be for something like Outer Wilds, but I'm glad I didn't know more, personally.

Last edited:

Wabit

May 23, 2016

This game made me cry a couple times, made me laugh more than a couple times, and made me think. I recommend only playing one chapter per day, and letting yourself ruminate on what you learned, and ponder where it may be going and what it all means to you. The game is only 10 chapters, each chapter took me roughly an hour to an hour and a half.

I guess I can give more info than this. It's sort of a walking simulator, which has a negative connotation and almost kept me from buying it. I'm glad I gave it a chance. There's a little bit of resistance when you go to the main hub area for the first time, as it's a bit labyrinthine, but your mind will make a mental map fairly quickly and it's worth powering through it.
It's very story rich, fully voice acted (well), and its game systems inform and enhance its story and the emotional impact of it. I recommend going into it knowing as little as possible. That's not as important as it would be for something like Outer Wilds, but I'm glad I didn't know more, personally.

You've peeked my interest. Just looking at it a little, it seems like a game that I would buy as part of a bundle package.

If I ever upgrade my pc to something that can stream. This looks like a good game to run on twitch (story rich, chapter setup, and emotional responses). I admit I have some strange game lists for different topics.

Reactions: BagHead

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
You've peeked my interest. Just looking at it a little, it seems like a game that I would buy as part of a bundle package.

If I ever upgrade my pc to something that can stream. This looks like a good game to run on twitch (story rich, chapter setup, and emotional responses). I admit I have some strange game lists for different topics.
Do it, I'll watch. Not live, but as long as you make them available, when I have time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad