WC: General Talk '14 — Denmark

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
I would not complain if they had taken him. Just trying to show the reasoning behind it.

We are all trying to see the reason behind it, some of us still havent succeeded. :)

Ok, lets pretend for a minute that both Eller and Regin advances to next playoff round. Who do we add to the WC roster then? It makes no sense not to fill out the roster, so he should have a couple of names ready, but with the coach spreading out the talent on all four lines it would make very little difference who to take unless they would improve the team. I only see two guys that Karlsson could possibly bring in.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I would like to see Oliver on the team more, just because I am very curious to see how he will handle, bigger stronger opposition.

Ehlers I am sure can do it. Oliver not so much.
Ehlers is still young (Bjork is aswell), unless he goes later in the draft, we wil prolly see him in another wc.

Last edited:

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
Lines Will be Mikkel Bødker - Morten Madsen - Jannik Hansen
Kim Staal - Julian Jakobsen - Nicklas Jensen
Patrick Bjorkstrand - Jesper Jensen - Frederik Storm
Mads Christensen - Morten Green - Morten Poulsen.

Philip Larsen - Stefan Lassen
Emil Kristensen - Oliver Lauridsen
Markus Lauridsen - Jesper B. Jensen.
Phillip Bruggisser

Interesting.

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
After Frederik Andersen did something to his knee during the game last night, it is not very likely that he will be given a green light to play at WCH if Ducks are eliminated and do he even want to with the starting job in Anaheim in sight next season? No reason to risk anything at this point if I were him.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark

LoooooL.
That is really fun.

After Frederik Andersen did something to his knee during the game last night, it is not very likely that he will be given a green light to play at WCH if Ducks are eliminated and do he even want to with the starting job in Anaheim in sight next season? No reason to risk anything at this point if I were him.

Completely agree. I don't see him coming

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
So since it less and less likely we can add Peter Regin or Lars Eller (unless Montreal loses 2 fast ones), then we still have 1 open space on the roster.

So it's either waiting or we bring in an extra d-man.
- or what about getting Nikolaj Ehlers over....

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
So since it less and less likely we can add Peter Regin or Lars Eller (unless Montreal loses 2 fast ones), then we still have 1 open space on the roster.

So it's either waiting or we bring in an extra d-man.
- or what about getting Nikolaj Ehlers over....

Dont we have three spots open? Anders Poulsen and Thomas Spelling are not included in our roster and we are allowed 22 players I think. There are only 19 in our roster and two goalies.

The Ehlers case seems outdebated, it is not going to happen. Instead what about Bjorkstrand the younger? If Portland loses the last two games in the final, they are not playing memorial cup.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
We might as well get somebody. We won't get any nhler now I think.

I have been thinking about it, and I might have been to eager to defend the coach. Its highly unlikely that we get Eller or Regin(Maybe Eller late in the tournament) and we have one completely open spot so we might as well take O. Bjørkstrand or Ehlers.

I don't think Frederik Andersen will join if Ducks go out. Sounds like its a minor day to day penalty but why risk anything.

Last edited:

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Dont we have three spots open? Anders Poulsen and Thomas Spelling are not included in our roster and we are allowed 22 players I think. There are only 19 in our roster and two goalies.

The Ehlers case seems outdebated, it is not going to happen. Instead what about Bjorkstrand the younger? If Portland loses the last two games in the final, they are not playing memorial cup.

You are right. In fact neither Dahm, A. Poulsen or Spelling is officially on the roster.

O. Bjørkstrand still could end play more matches (it's 2-2 in the series vs, Edmonton and Mads Eller) and he is uncertain as Eller and Regin.
So since Andersen is out with an injury, it will be Dahm as 3' goalie unless we want to gamble only taking two? But having only 7 d's sounds also risky.....Rasmus Nielsen most likely 8'th d-man?

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Like or not?

k1oosk.jpg

14djct1.jpg

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Random thoughts on the Sweden game:

- 1. period our D-coverage did not look solid. Wasn't great in the 2nd or 3rd either but improved. Philip Larsen and Stefan Lassen troubled me in 1st. Didn't look like either were ready mentally and seemed like a bad match. But they looked significantly better in the last two period. Philip still isn't a defensive genius but at least he didn't get caught standing still in front of the net looking at the play as often. Oliver seemed heavy at first and had a knack for getting out of position but got it together with the team and played really solid most of the game. Started to lay some nice hits. Jesper B. Jensen seemed unfocused at first. Really needs to be better at getting some speed into the attacks early and get the first pass to the forwards better.

- Our transition game lacked consistency. We rarely gained ground with our first pass(es) and then we had 5 Swedes to beat before entering the zone and the fun areas. When we did enter the zone with speed we were able either get a chance or set something up.

- The first line couldn't win a face-off to save their lives. And lacked net-presence early in the game. But the face-offs is going to be a problem. It's our best line having to start chasing the puck every shift.

- I liked our team best when we applied a high pressure and went on the fore check to smoke out the Swedes. It generated some chances in both ends. The mid zone waiting game wasn't really my taste. When we finally got the puck it's to low and we started going east-west to get out of a fore check and before we had exited our own zone the Swedes either had us pinned down again or were ready to defend their own zone with 5 man.

- Bødker showed some speed. Really, really needs this line to get some chemistry though. I'm not sure if the construction is right.

- The other lines had some good shifts. Got the direction of the game towards the net. There was some nice traffic in front of the net. And when we puck in there we battled hard.

- Julian Jakobsen and Kim Staal had two great opportunities. Should have been goals.

- Galbraith did fine.

- I think we need to cut down on the numbers of passing mistakes. Make sure there's speed, hold back on the "blind" in our own zone and in general pay more attention to the game around us.

A start that we can build on. The Sweden game was never a "must-win". It was hard earned practice and it left me somewhat optimistic that we have a chance of some points in the Norway game :)

Oh and Olaf Eller was in great shape also. He'll be a key guy for me to enjoy this tournament :D

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
Random thoughts on the Sweden game:

- 1. period our D-coverage did not look solid. Wasn't great in the 2nd or 3rd either but improved. Philip Larsen and Stefan Lassen troubled me in 1st. Didn't look like either were ready mentally and seemed like a bad match. But they looked significantly better in the last two period. Philip still isn't a defensive genius but at least he didn't get caught standing still in front of the net looking at the play as often. Oliver seemed heavy at first and had a knack for getting out of position but got it together with the team and played really solid most of the game. Started to lay some nice hits. Jesper B. Jensen seemed unfocused at first. Really needs to be better at getting some speed into the attacks early and get the first pass to the forwards better.

- Our transition game lacked consistency. We rarely gained ground with our first pass(es) and then we had 5 Swedes to beat before entering the zone and the fun areas. When we did enter the zone with speed we were able either get a chance or set something up.

- The first line couldn't win a face-off to save their lives. And lacked net-presence early in the game. But the face-offs is going to be a problem. It's our best line having to start chasing the puck every shift.

- I liked our team best when we applied a high pressure and went on the fore check to smoke out the Swedes. It generated some chances in both ends. The mid zone waiting game wasn't really my taste. When we finally got the puck it's to low and we started going east-west to get out of a fore check and before we had exited our own zone the Swedes either had us pinned down again or were ready to defend their own zone with 5 man.

- Bødker showed some speed. Really, really needs this line to get some chemistry though. I'm not sure if the construction is right.

- The other lines had some good shifts. Got the direction of the game towards the net. There was some nice traffic in front of the net. And when we puck in there we battled hard.

- Julian Jakobsen and Kim Staal had two great opportunities. Should have been goals.

- Galbraith did fine.

- I think we need to cut down on the numbers of passing mistakes. Make sure there's speed, hold back on the "blind" in our own zone and in general pay more attention to the game around us.

A start that we can build on. The Sweden game was never a "must-win". It was hard earned practice and it left me somewhat optimistic that we have a chance of some points in the Norway game :)

Oh and Olaf Eller was in great shape also. He'll be a key guy for me to enjoy this tournament :D

Good breakdown. Olaf is da man as always. I think playing Hansen and bødker together might be a mistake. Maybe put Jensen in there instead of one of them

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
I agree with your analysis as well Bank.

I felt that Patrick Bjørkstrand really showed some energy.
Markus Lauridsen also had some good defense to offense transitions, when breaking the swedish play.
Galbraith was solid in goal and can't really be faulted for any swedish goals.

But way to many key players were invisible.
Nicklas Jensen looked lost.
Mikkel Bødker and Jannik Hansen had no influence on the game really (but with that number of faceoff lost, it's perhaps no wonder).

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Okay, here's a fun game: Can someone make a scenario where we could have gotten a worse start to the tournament than this?

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
Okay, here's a fun game: Can someone make a scenario where we could have gotten a worse start to the tournament than this?

The teams consists of 12 times of Kim Staal and 6 times of Jesper B Jensen.

Playing without a goalie (actually that might help)

Denmark getting 10 penalties against Norway.

The team being detained in the airport as spies (might have saved some embarrassing moments though)

Bødker and Philip Larsen going Grabner/Vanek style and goes to jail.

Last edited:

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I am so deflated by this... I hate all the Norwegians Right now, especially after the smug Comments on vg. Oh god this is unbareable.

DK Rookie

May 9, 2013
No need to hate the Norwegians (well, not for this match at least! :laugh:) - this was all the Danish players own doing. Game starts out with Denmark skating and Norway taking a bone-headed penalty - all is well! But then Jesper B. and Mads C. starts their "show" - a charging penalty for Mads Christensen, three very avoidable penalties by Jesper B. Jensen (the last high-sticking was unfortunate, but he would have lost that race and the way he was going hooked Olimb anyhow). Thought the penalty for Mads Christensen after the scrum and the penalty shot called was a bit tight, but I've been watching the Habs-Bruins series so that might effect my view on what a penalty is! :laugh: The bench-minor and subsequent goal was just the icing on the cake after that performance. :help: Only 18 shots on goal did they manage :shakehead

Didn't like the personal on the ice: Jesper Jensen (forward), Morten Green and Morten Poulsen has no business being on the penalty kill until Hansen and Bødker is exhausted! Hansen, Bødker, Bjorkstrand, Jakobsen and Madsen should be out there before those guys.

Mentioned it in the game thread, but we didn't use our A line-up on the powerplay either (Morten Poulsen got a goal on the first one, so maybe I'm putting too much emphasis on it - defeat and all). If you're gonna fly in Nicklas Jensen, you could at least park him on the right side on the powerplay? Hansen on the left, Larsen up top, Bødker roaming and maybe Madsen for the draw, before parking himself in front of goal?

... and don't read VG, only after a win! :laugh: Wouldn't suggest our brothers up north to read the likes of EB neither - not exactly the braintrust of our societies.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
No need to hate the Norwegians (well, not for this match at least! :laugh:) - this was all the Danish players own doing. Game starts out with Denmark skating and Norway taking a bone-headed penalty - all is well! But then Jesper B. and Mads C. starts their "show" - a charging penalty for Mads Christensen, three very avoidable penalties by Jesper B. Jensen (the last high-sticking was unfortunate, but he would have lost that race and the way he was going hooked Olimb anyhow). Thought the penalty for Mads Christensen after the scrum and the penalty shot called was a bit tight, but I've been watching the Habs-Bruins series so that might effect my view on what a penalty is! :laugh: The bench-minor and subsequent goal was just the icing on the cake after that performance. :help: Only 18 shots on goal did they manage :shakehead

Didn't like the personal on the ice: Jesper Jensen (forward), Morten Green and Morten Poulsen has no business being on the penalty kill until Hansen and Bødker is exhausted! Hansen, Bødker, Bjorkstrand, Jakobsen and Madsen should be out there before those guys.

Mentioned it in the game thread, but we didn't use our A line-up on the powerplay either (Morten Poulsen got a goal on the first one, so maybe I'm putting too much emphasis on it - defeat and all). If you're gonna fly in Nicklas Jensen, you could at least park him on the right side on the powerplay? Hansen on the left, Larsen up top, Bødker roaming and maybe Madsen for the draw, before parking himself in front of goal?

... and don't read VG, only after a win! :laugh: Wouldn't suggest our brothers up north to read the likes of EB neither - not exactly the braintrust of our societies.

I cannot be logical or objecitve right now. Too irritated with loss.

Believe me, just as pissed of with the team, and my logic tells me that my Noorwegian hatred makes no sense, but let it be.. :laugh:

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
Former NT-player Jesper Schultz has a very good comment on his facebook-page (translated by google):

I 'm sorry about this but I must have speak up , because there is many things at the first World Cup key battle, I did not understand any of that. Definitely because I'm not smart enough and therefore I will have to ask.

1) Why choose a first goalie , there are virtually no games played this year? On the first goal , he is completely wrong in the goal, so he 's not near a shot from the blue with completely unobstructed view . On the second goal , the whole box opened up on a bad slide and do not even get started with the penalty .... damn, I have never ever seen a goalie who ends up five feet out of his goal without spelling of a penalty stroke . Even if he had saved it, then there should have been convicted goal because he throws the stick . Hopelessly .... simply hopeless !

2) An NHL player in the fourth chain? Are you kidding me ? Is it hidden camera or something? I do not know what to say ... but someone could explain to me why ?

3) Why will not initiate real scorer in Mikkel Bødker chain ? Anyone who has seen Bødker play knows that he can create chances , but he has trouble finishing them. Do we have a really good scorer type? Let me see ... eh , what about him that Nicklas Jensen. Oh , no, he's gotta play in the fourth chain , for he is a really good checking forward type ... apparently ... ?

4 ) Maybe we have a scorer type more ... could you imagine Nikolai Ehlers, who are caught in the top 10 (maybe top 5 ) draft choice this summer, and which can play most of this team down to size already ?

5 ) Why does the NHL -forwards play less than non NA-players ? Was it the match , nobody forced this forward and what are the tactical thinking behind this priority ?

6) You are beginning to understand some of the selection criteria that the first players taken after up to the World Cup. And one begins to understand the statement that the coach had to simply rely much on other people's information here at his first World Cup . Did he not even been out to see the players play in the years he has been employed ?

Besides Roy Johansen just a class better to put his team to play . The pace and focus was completely taken out of Denmark by a lot of strong tackles and melee attacks .

And yes , I think perhaps he was in Norway - especially when judging strokes on a situation I have seen thousands of times without seeing strokes convicted before, and so beyond me nothing of the attack on Morten Madsen last second of the second period were not punished harder. It was deeply irresponsible to look at.

But it does not change that with the exception of the first five minutes, so Norway was just better . And it was a tactic they won - not play the material.

The paradox is that Norway wins the game transatlantic , so you can not even talk about the wins that we have players who by now are more accustomed to small lane ( which is also the matter of still grown on large court and has just the inside of the spine ) . For those players who play over in the NHL / AHL ( / QMJHL ) should just be well prepared in such a match on the grounds which caused Norway , and we just KNOW they will cause , for they do every single time ! But Markus Lauridsen played only 14 minutes Mikkel Bødker 17:40 , Jannik Hansen 17.30 Nicklas Jensen, who actually used his body very against both Sweden and Norway , 12.38 .

All the talk about the NHL players who came home , and cheers once they volunteered - and so is this what they are for ... sorry - I do not understand it ....

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad