Providence Bruins General Discussion thread XIX

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Log jam and I didn't even include Lysell.

Providence Possibilities.PNG

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I would have to think McLaughlin is looking for a chance to go elsewhere. I really do think he could be a 13th forward somewhere.

Either way, there is definitely a logjam, and I suspect there will be points where we are complaining about some people being sent down to Maine

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Very happy for Regula.
I like both of these players. I don't know what Callahan's ceiling is, but the little I've been able to see of him, he stood out. Regula I'm more intrigued by our board's scouting reports.

Our depth on the blueline seems much more unproven than this time last season. But I like it much better.

Ozzy Osbourne

Nov 14, 2023
I thought Regula was a real prospect but Callahan is just a token Mass born filler. Is Regula no longer considered a prospect?

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
I would have to think McLaughlin is looking for a chance to go elsewhere. I really do think he could be a 13th forward somewhere.

Either way, there is definitely a logjam, and I suspect there will be points where we are complaining about some people being sent down to Maine
I don’t get everyone's obsession with McLaughlin.
He’s a very meh player to me

Reactions: CDJ

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Regula is 775K, 1 yr two way via Puckpedia. Callahan is not posted yet but his qualifying offer was at around 875K.
On contracts like these I like to see what their minor league salaries are. I feel like it gives me a good indication of how willing they will be to send him down.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
I thought McLaughlin was going to be a young Craig Smith, good speed, gritty and smart. He looked like an NHL player to me early on, but the Bruins have a way of breaking their prospects. It seems to happen more with the lower profile guys. When they show they’re ready and Boston sends them down anyway… I think it breaks their spirit. Steen is another one.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I thought Regula was a real prospect but Callahan is just a token Mass born filler. Is Regula no longer considered a prospect?

Regula is a prospect, but more so as a depth player. He has a chance to be the 23rd player on the roster this year. there is also a chance he could get lost to waivers if they send him down. A slight chance, but could happen.

I think Callahan is a bit better than you give him credit. He is a good AHL player, but I don't see him in the NHL

No obsession. I do think he is a guy who could be a depth player in the NHL somewhere, but it seems it will never happen here. these things happen sometimes. Nate Thompson was a very meh player for Providence who got a chance somewhere and played 844 games in the NHL

Reactions: CDJ

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
I thought McLaughlin was going to be a young Craig Smith, good speed, gritty and smart. He looked like an NHL player to me early on, but the Bruins have a way of breaking their prospects. It seems to happen more with the lower profile guys. When they show they’re ready and Boston sends them down anyway… I think it breaks their spirit. Steen is another one.

I have the opposite view here. I think teams that rush prospects are the ones that break them. The Sabres and Islanders are perfect examples. I think there is nothing worse for development than an 18 or 19 year old playing a full year in the NHL and then getting demoted to the AHL the following year.

The Bruins really make them prove themselves in the AHL. If you can't be a complete player and a difference maker in the AHL then you simply are not an NHL player. Playing maximum minutes and in important situations is always best for development and the AHL is a strong enough league to challenge any prospect and many NHL players.

Reactions: The Hockey Tonk Man

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
I have the opposite view here. I think teams that rush prospects are the ones that break them. The Sabres and Islanders are perfect examples. I think there is nothing worse for development than an 18 or 19 year old playing a full year in the NHL and then getting demoted to the AHL the following year.

The Bruins really make them prove themselves in the AHL. If you can't be a complete player and a difference maker in the AHL then you simply are not an NHL player. Playing maximum minutes and in important situations is always best for development and the AHL is a strong enough league to challenge any prospect and many NHL players.

I agree with that approach, 100%. I think it's the right way to develop young players. But I also think that when a young player shows he can play in the NHL and be effective, and he gets sent down anyway, because of cap reasons or waiver issues, that's disheartening. I can see how that would take the wind out of some guys sails. Like, I'm not going to get my shot here am I?

Ultimately it's up to the prospect to persevere and find another way but I think it's why guys have asked for trades in the past, and why some guys seem to regress after it looked like there was something there.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I agree with that approach, 100%. I think it's the right way to develop young players. But I also think that when a young player shows he can play in the NHL and be effective, and he gets sent down anyway, because of cap reasons or waiver issues, that's disheartening. I can see how that would take the wind out of some guys sails. Like, I'm not going to get my shot here am I?

Ultimately it's up to the prospect to persevere and find another way but I think it's why guys have asked for trades in the past, and why some guys seem to regress after it looked like there was something there.
Good and insightful dialogue between you Beesfan.

Reactions: PlayMakers

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Although not written in stone a good estimate for a 2 way deal is about 10% of their NHLrate.
I think that's especially true of rookies. It's the 2nd deal and the free agent deals that get interesting.

For example, Regula's AHL salary is $215k. That makes me think they're ok sending him to the minors. $215k is 'well paid' for the minors but not budget busting. On the other hand, Patrick Brown gets $800k to play down there. He makes as much as 10 Merkulov/Lysell/Lohrei's. So I would think they hate burying that contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad