Prospect Info: General Discussion of Prospects

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Funny I just said that a few days ago in another thread. Give the CHL Team some cash which most probably could use buying the rights of the player from them.

Its a win-win.
The weird thing is that this is not just a CBA thing, it is an NHL-CHL transfer agreement thing.

I wonder if they will update the transfer agreement to give teams cash for every season of eligibility teams lose. Even for guys like Benson and Bedard that make the jump straight to the NHL.

:dunno:

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
The weird thing is that this is not just a CBA thing, it is an NHL-CHL transfer agreement thing.

I wonder if they will update the transfer agreement to give teams cash for every season of eligibility teams lose. Even for guys like Benson and Bedard that make the jump straight to the NHL.

:dunno:
If you think about it Benson would benefit a season in the AHL but he can't. Yet his WHL team gets nothing. So its a win-win to give the WHL team cash and let him play in the AHL. In the end it could be million(s) of dollars over 5-10 years for the CHL team from multiple teams for players.

It also means the money has a possibility to trickle down to other areas of the CHL team depending on how it can be used such as improved facilities.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
It's going to look odd. I think the NCAA is going to be accepting CHL players so you could have a situation where if the kid decides to go to college, the CHL team gets nothing but if they decide to go AHL, the team gets paid. They'll be fighting to phase each other out (NCAA vs. AHL) and it will be interesting to see how things evolve.

Well the AHL isn't going anywhere so it's probably more like the NHL and CHL trying to phase out the NCAA route.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
It's going to look odd. I think the NCAA is going to be accepting CHL players so you could have a situation where if the kid decides to go to college, the CHL team gets nothing but if they decide to go AHL, the team gets paid. They'll be fighting to phase each other out (NCAA vs. AHL) and it will be interesting to see how things evolve.

Well the AHL isn't going anywhere so it's probably more like the NHL and CHL trying to phase out the NCAA route.
That is never going to happen.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013

How will allowing CHL players into NCAA phase out that route?

Reactions: Matt Ress

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
How will allowing CHL players into NCAA phase out that route?
It won't. Allowing CHL players into the AHL at a younger age will lessen the likelihood of kids taking the college route.

As I fasten my tinfoil hat, the NHL would probably want to boost the CHL as more and more kids look to the NCAA as apposed to the CHL. The ability to earn money in college just sweetens that move. The same can be said for young foreign players and more and more Canadian players. Having to not spend an extra year in the CHL for a talented player is less of a deterrent to go that route.

That is never going to happen.
I probably used too strong of terms but you have to realize that the NCAA and CHL/AHL are vying and posturing for good young players.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
It won't. Allowing CHL players into the AHL at a younger age will lessen the likelihood of kids taking the college route.

As I fasten my tinfoil hat, the NHL would probably want to boost the CHL as more and more kids look to the NCAA as apposed to the CHL. The ability to earn money in college just sweetens that move. The same can be said for young foreign players and more and more Canadian players. Having to not spend an extra year in the CHL for a talented player is less of a deterrent to go that route.

I probably used too strong of terms but you have to realize that the NCAA and CHL/AHL are vying and posturing for good young players.

Why would the NHL want them in the CHL instead of the NCAA?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad