OT: General College Hockey Talk

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Good for them. I think that hurts Laval too.

JF and his wife, Mia, have been returning to Potsdam over the last year, as their son Noah is entering his sophomore year at Potsdam, where he is a member of the Bears’ men’s lacrosse team.

I am guessing that JF is going to smack talk Patrice Robitaille before and after the Potsdam-Morrisville lacrosse game in 2025.

:laugh:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

I caught on yesterday’s show when Marty mentioned dropping Jacob off at West Point. He’ll be a first year on the hockey team in 2024-25.

Reactions: Chainshot

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Capture.PNG

Last season Lopusanova made the move to North America, playing for the Bishop Kearney Selects under-19 AAA team at a private high school in Rochester, N.Y.

It's pretty cool to see a BK Selects jersey on Sportsnet.ca.

Reactions: RabidBadger

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

These kids get $120 a week for spending money. They should be allowed to play in the NCAA after, as long as they haven’t signed a professional contract.

The Tom Willander situation is going to be the biggest issue for the NCAA, I would bet.

On the NCAA's side, they do get to make up their own eligibility requirements. There have been previous lawsuits over a variety of weird eligibility decisions and they have won them before.

I wonder if they change hockey eligibility to basically say that what a player does before they are done with HS is OK.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish

The Tom Willander situation is going to be the biggest issue for the NCAA, I would bet.

On the NCAA's side, they do get to make up their own eligibility requirements. There have been previous lawsuits over a variety of weird eligibility decisions and they have won them before.

I wonder if they change hockey eligibility to basically say that what a player does before they are done with HS is OK.
I'm not even sure why playing in the CHL is a sticking point anymore. With NIL ca$h flowing and having millionaire college athletes it's a absurd line to draw in the sand.

I'm sure the coaches would be heavily in favor of being able to nab CHL transfers. Don Lucia went as far to push for guys who went to pro leagues to be able to return to college.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Reactions: misterchainsaw

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
This is awesome. Me and a friend of mine are tentatively talking about making the trip over - good excuse to visit Ireland and see some hockey while we're at it.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
This is awesome. Me and a friend of mine are tentatively talking about making the trip over - good excuse to visit Ireland and see some hockey while we're at it.
Season starts Friday, with Miami travelling to Ferris State and Bowling Green going to Mercyhurst.

As for the locals:
RIT plays Saturday/Sunday at St. Lawrence (7 PM) and at Clarkson (4 PM)
Canisius plays them in reverse - at Clarkson Saturday night and at St. Lawrence Sunday afternoon.

All four of these games will be on ESPN+ (as they are away games at ECAC schools)

Niagara doesn't have an official game this weekend but goes to Ohio State for an exhibition sunday.

RIT starts the year as the top team in the receiving votes category - just outside the top 20 despite their losses.

Last edited:

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
RabidBadger (cliffs notes) almost-starting-the-season power 5.

Denver: lotsa guys back but they can't count on Matt Davis delivering another superhuman performance.

BC: also lotsa guys back. Ryan Leonard could hit the goal per game mark.

Sparty: my pick to win the natty this year. Trey Augustine looks like a man of destiny. Charlie Strammel will be interesting to watch; we'll see if he was misused at Wisconsin or if The Wild screwed the pooch drafting him. And...lotsa guys back.

Cornell: you probably won't be surprised to hear they have lotsa guys back. They played well enough to win a title last year but ran into Dominic Hasek's bastard son. Win one Shafer already, ya bums.

Minnesota: the jaundiced gerbils have reloaded nicely. We'll see how the talent gels together.

Game on!

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The fu

The f*** is a catallino family head coach
There are many college sports programs that have endowments for coaching positions and they are now the [fill in the blank] head coach as opposed to merely the head coach.

Screenshot 2024-10-07 075700.jpg

Cornell Men's Lacrosse has endowments for their head coach and their associate head coach.

And George Boiardi has a lasting impact on the program long after he died on the field decades ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad