Celebrity Death: Gene Wilder

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
It feels wrong that I only know him from the "You get nothing" gif and accompanying film.

RIP

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
It feels wrong that I only know him from the "You get nothing" gif and accompanying film.

RIP

Oh, you really ought to see more. He's on the short list for best comedic actors all-time. Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, The Producers, See No Evil, Hear No Evil are all phenomenal.

RIP

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Well, this sucks.

May he RIP.

Was before my time, but his flicks are still awesome today.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Very sad. Wilder was deeply in love with Gilda Radner and was married to her when she battled cancer and passed away. It was a true Love Story.

Coincidence that I adopted a Marty Feldman avatar only two days ago? Yes probably.

young-frankenstein-gene-wilder-ftr.jpg

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
I heard he was a dick at his peak, but it was a different time. He was a great actor. He mellowed out as he got older. RIP.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Very sad. Wilder was deeply in love with Gilda Radner and was married to her when she battled cancer and passed away. It was a true Love Story.

Coincidence that I adopted a Marty Feldman avatar only two days ago? Yes probably.

young-frankenstein-gene-wilder-ftr.jpg

Feldman was so great in that movie :laugh:

"What hump" kills me every time.

Overall, this may be my favorite Wilder scene:

His entire performance as Willy Wonka is top notch, I can't pick a scene from that movie, though Wonka's fake-cripple intro always sticks out for me.

Edit: ^^Beaten

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
I heard he was a dick at his peak, but it was a different time. He was a great actor. He mellowed out as he got older. RIP.

Probably losing your wife (Gilda Radner) to ovarian cancer will do that to you. But I'm not 100% sure that he was - he definitely came across a little coldly on screen at times, but he did have a face that just doesn't scream a***ole. Some people just aren't very good socially, and it comes across to some as unpleasant, but they're still nice people. Just not easy to get close to. Who knows, all speculation.

Anyway, one of my favorite actors - I've never watched the Willy Wonka with Johnny Depp as Gene is the only one I want to see play the role. And he did it to perfection - he was perfectly able to portray that kind of role, that contradiction of the perfectly calm madman. Sadly I didn't catch some of his prime movies - Silver Streak, See No Evil etc., with Richard Pryor since they were rated R and came out when I was still in single digits. I did see some horror spoof he was in called "The Hand" which was nonetheless creepy as hell, and Blazing Saddles. I'm sure a couple other films as well I'm forgetting. But even seeing a limited amount of his work, one actor I wish was still taking roles when I got older, but sadly, didn't.

R.I.P...will this year hurry up and end?:cry:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad