GDT: GDT #8 Florida Panthers vs New York Islanders | October 26th | 7:30 PM | F/L 6-3

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
We replaced Pierre Engvall and Matt Martin with Pierre Engvall and Matt Martin.

With a few exceptions this is the team that got dispatched by the Hurricanes in the first round last year. Insanity.
we should've sold off after 2022 but nooooo, new building and they got hit by COVID and blah blah blah. every time they get eliminated its an excuse. the time to tear down and add youth is NOW.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
we should've sold off after 2022 but nooooo, new building and they got hit by COVID and blah blah blah. every time they get eliminated its an excuse. the time to tear down and add youth is NOW.

If they do that, I’ll reconsider watching. I am not putting up with any rebuilding, knowing that it guarantees lots of losing and doesn’t lead to any winning.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
To an owner, those are pretty compelling reasons to NOT rebuild.

Can you identify one team in the past 20 years that went to B2B conference finals, then missed the playoffs during an ‘odd’ season, then went into a rebuild?

No owner says ‘yes’ to that. Sorry, this is fan fiction.

Hey, I just invested in a $1B arena, no worry with 8k fans showing up due to a rebuild… Now, that generates momentum.

Mr Misunderstood

Must win.
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
To an owner, those are pretty compelling reasons to NOT rebuild.

Can you identify one team in the past 20 years that went to B2B conference finals, then missed the playoffs during an ‘odd’ season, then went into a rebuild?

No owner says ‘yes’ to that. Sorry, this is fan fiction.

Hey, I just invested in a $1B arena, no worry with 8k fans showing up due to a rebuild… Now, that generates momentum.

End of 2022 was the time to change things up with the roster and move out some pieces while they still had value.

Now, those pieces have lost their value for equivalent NHL pieces. It is time to part ways for future assets.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
End of 2022 was the time to change things up with the roster and move out some pieces while they still had value.

Now, those pieces have lost their value for equivalent NHL pieces. It is time to part ways for future assets.
What assets are/were you dumping?

Recently resigned Pamieri? JGP? 35 goal scorer in Nelson? Near 30 goal scorer and captain Lee? A possible franchise goalie that came to the Isles bc oh his mentor was on the same team? The mentor wasn’t going anywhere either.

Mr Misunderstood

Must win.
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC

Recently resigned Pamieri? JGP? 35 goal scorer in Nelson? Near 30 goal scorer and captain Lee? A possible franchise goalie that came to the Isles bc oh his mentor was on the same team? The mentor wasn’t going anywhere either.

Yes to Nelson...kinda like how Florida traded away a 115 point core player who had been there for 10 years.

Doesn't matter looking back because we can go back and forth on hypotheticals. But I was on the record then to make a change and I'm sticking to it.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

But you were ok with trading Barzal. New arena and all.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
But you were ok with trading Barzal. New arena and all.
100% - see above. Make a Tkachuk and Huberdeau trade.

Barzal is not that special and that’s just becoming more and more apparent. Just like FL figured out Huberdeau was not that special and needed to make a big move and change the tone of their franchise. The Isles needed to and do need to do the same.

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.

Barzal is not that special and that’s just becoming more and more apparent. Just like FL figured out Huberdeau was not that special and needed to make a big move and change the tone of their franchise. The Isles needed to and do need to do the same.

Barzal in an Ottawa Jersey with Their Captain coming back would be great....

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

But you just listed a handful of reasons why not to trade lesser players because the owners opened a new building in 2022. Yet you and I were both always ok with not resigning Barzal and should have traded him at that same juncture. Yet to trade Barzal, the face of the franchise, after 1 year in a new building would have sent fans tearing up their renewal invoices.

Point is the reasons you always gave for keeping the status quo back then (owners don’t have the stomach for those type changes) you were okay with for Barzal.

There’s always a reason for not doing something unpopular but necessary.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
But you just listed a handful of reasons why not to trade lesser players because the owners opened a new building in 2022. Yet you and I were both always ok with not resigning Barzal and should have traded him at that same juncture. Yet to trade Barzal, the face of the franchise, after 1 year in a new building would have sent fans tearing up their renewal invoices.

Point is the reasons you always gave for keeping the status quo back then (owners don’t have the stomach for those type changes) you were okay with for Barzal.

There’s always a reason for not doing something unpopular but necessary.
We’re fans in FL upset at trading Huberdeau for Tkachuk? A homegrown player? Nope, maybe initially at the wow of the deal, but beyond that it was identified why they did it - they needed to change how they played if they wanted to win.

I mention the other lesser players more bc that would be very Vegas-like to acquire, re-sign, then trade away in a short time. The Isles didn’t (and don’t) have that cache to recover from that or set that tone. They actually had to use assets to acquire players and over pay them just to get better players.

On Barzal, wasn’t a fan of his bridge deal and certainly not a fan of his extension. Fans had visions of the ROY-like player. Others, saw multiple flaws and he is a very difficult player to play with and he’s not a gamer. He could have been traded, but the organization ‘invested’ in him. Ain’t working out too good.

If he was traded for a Kirk Muller type deal, then no it would not go down well. But a Huberdeau/Tkachuk deal, I think the fans would be all for that after seeing how the on ice product would benefit.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
We’re fans in FL upset at trading Huberdeau for Tkachuk? A homegrown player? Nope, maybe initially at the wow of the deal, but beyond that it was identified why they did it - they needed to change how they played if they wanted to win.

I mention the other lesser players more bc that would be very Vegas-like to acquire, re-sign, then trade away in a short time. The Isles didn’t (and don’t) have that cache to recover from that or set that tone. They actually had to use assets to acquire players and over pay them just to get better players.

On Barzal, wasn’t a fan of his bridge deal and certainly not a fan of his extension. Fans had visions of the ROY-like player. Others, saw multiple flaws and he is a very difficult player to play with and he’s not a gamer. He could have been traded, but the organization ‘invested’ in him. Ain’t working out too good.

If he was traded for a Kirk Muller type deal, then no it would not go down well. But a Huberdeau/Tkachuk deal, I think the fans would be all for that after seeing how the on ice product would benefit.
Huberdeau was never the face of the Panthers franchise, Barkov was (and maybe Luongo before him). My point is you trade the face of the Islanders franchise after losing Tavares and you risked back then the same fan backlash that, according to your reasons, telling them we were going to rebuild would have brought.

Reactions: Levi Walking Bear

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad