GDT: GDT #6 Detroit Red Wings vs New York Islanders | October 22nd | 7:45 PM | F/L 1-0

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Leagues and teams have enough information now over the first 5 years of a new building. The isles are one of the last professional teams to get a ‘new’ building, heck teams are now looking for a second ‘new’ building…

The isles had new building bump and a ton of speculators for season tickets. The team now actually has big marketing deals and corporate suites.

STH pay for tix but limit extra in arena spend. Coupe game a season guy spends on tix, even 3rd party, typically spends more in arena on high profit margin items.

The Isles will be fine.,This isn’t Winnepeg.

Rehabguy

In ROY I trust
Oct 2, 2011
This is the problem.

Why in the world would you think that the GM who led them to "mediocre" is going to do anything, but what he's been doing the last 5 years...Which is to led them to more mediocre?

Things are not going to change until the GM is changed.
But you were saying the exact same thing when Snow was here. When does it all end? When do we get this unicorn of a GM you speak of?

( I liked Garth Snow in case you didn't know. Should I feel vindicated or just believe what I believe now - It doesn't matter who is GM, but the job is difficult especially if you are in charge of the lowly Isles.)

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
But you were saying the exact same thing when Snow was here. When does it all end? When do we get this unicorn of a GM you speak of?

( I liked Garth Snow in case you didn't know. Should I feel vindicated or just believe what I believe now - It doesn't matter who is GM, but the job is difficult especially if you are in charge of the lowly Isles.)
Believe the results. The team was not good during most of Snow's tenure and outperformed their talent level under Lou for his first 3 years. Now the team has stagnated and is regressing in some areas. This is not a binary choice with GM. Lou chose a course with the players he signed that is going to make it very difficult for him to make meaningful changes without being able to sign an elite talent as a UFA.

Last edited:

Rehabguy

In ROY I trust
Oct 2, 2011
I really don't think it's an age issue as literally Lou is GM'ing as he always has like with the Devils and Leafs. He's always foot on the pedal/add vets/pay long-term deals etc.

That said regardless if it's his behavior, age, or anything else we have a GM who is quadrupling down on mediocre and overpaid. People don't want to rebuild, but the way our GM is running things all he's doing is leading us to a rebuild eventually...And the way it looks the longer we wait the worse the pain will be.
Well some of us warned all of this about Lou or at least one of us did. If I was still a biased hater I’d look at the contracts he signed and all the deals he made and rip em apart. Where are the Leddy, Boychuk, Eberle, Barzal like deals? Where is the smart development in prospects that became Lee, Bailey, Cizikas, Martin, Nelson, Pelech, and Pulock? Who would you still rather have Eberle or Engvall? Toews or Pageau? Who was more an impact a Leddy or Boychuk or Romanov and what did each GM give up for these players? From what I see the former GM overall did a better job handling contracts and a better job finding and signing talented players that were impact players and signing them to responsible contracts and most importantly building this team through the draft.

Have we just been unlucky and got stuck with 2 GMs that absolutely sucked or is it simply the fact that it’s not an easy job.

Regardless we’re stuck with what we have and the fans wanted this. They put up the bill boards for it so we just have to deal with it and move on. There is no perfect GM if you haven’t figured it out by now.

The team as I see it can make the playoffs playing the way they are playing under Roy. Maybe they are under a lot of pressure given the faith Lou put in them. Who knows. I expect this team to make the playoffs and get a shot just as every other team will get at the Cup.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lek

Rehabguy

In ROY I trust
Oct 2, 2011
Believe the results. The team was not good during most of Snow's tenure and outperformed their talent level under Lou for his first 3 years. Now the team has stagnated and is regressing in some areas. This is not a binary choice with GM. Lou chose a course with the players he signed that is going to make it very difficult for him to make meaningful changes without being able to sign an elite talent as a UFA.
Or he (Snow) was just in the very process of what you are asking for - a long and painful rebuild that got us some of the results we saw early in Lou’s tenure and many in that rebuild are still here. Some such as Sorokin, Nelson, and Barzal are still key players.

And yes believe the results Lou DID put us in a difficult position to sign an elite UFA (as Lou is apt to do) but I would also argue they don’t want and will never want to play here anyway.

Do you guys really want to go through this again? Another decade long rebuild?

Point is it really doesn’t matter who is at the helm. This is not an attractive franchise to play for. As Torrey did, and Snow said he would, the team must be built through the draft. Lou figured this out far too late.

Last edited:

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Well some of us warned all of this about Lou or at least one of us did. If I was still a biased hater I’d look at the contracts he signed and all the deals he made and rip em apart. Where are the Leddy, Boychuk, Eberle, Barzal like deals? From what I see the former GM overall did a better job handling contracts and a better job finding and signing players that were impact players and signing them to responsible contracts. Or maybe not.

Have we just been unlucky and got stuck with 2 GMs that absolutely sucked or is it simply the fact that it’s not an easy job.

Regardless we’re stuck with what we have and the fans wanted this. They put up the bill boards for it so we just have to deal with it and move on.

The team as I see it can make the playoffs playing the way they are playing under Roy. Maybe they are under a lot of pressure given the faith Lou put in them. Who knows. I expect this team to make the playoffs and get a shot just as every other team will get at the Cup.
Snow wasn't a bad GM because of his trades or signings. Snow was a bad GM because he had a gigantic chip on his shoulder, refused to hire a proper coaching staff, and couldn't draft/develop high-end talent.

Lou is a bad GM because of his giant ego, country club culture, terrible contracts, and inability to evaluate and accept the team's state. Both can stink for different reasons.

• Love
Reactions: MJF

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Sorry just looked at the condensed game. Sure they didn't maximize their chances, but the puck luck was extraordinarily poor. That part will turn around several times in a season.

Rehabguy

In ROY I trust
Oct 2, 2011
Snow wasn't a bad GM because of his trades or signings. Snow was a bad GM because he had a gigantic chip on his shoulder, refused to hire a proper coaching staff, and couldn't draft/develop high-end talent.

Lou is a bad GM because of his giant ego, country club culture, terrible contracts, and inability to evaluate and accept the team's state. Both can stink for different reasons.
Add in Milbury before those two and one would think this franchise has had a terrible time finding the right GM for the job.

If Lou is now seen a pariah what credentials are we looking for in a GM that would fix this team? Who had better credentials than Lou as many of you argued to me a few years back who can make this all right. Or is it all just a fools errand to try to look for one?

I’m sure some of you may point at Neil Smith but when he would have expectedly sucked as well then what?

The team is as good as it could be right now regardless of who had been at the helm. I just want to watch some good hockey and hope for the best.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Or he (Snow) was just in the very process of what you are asking for - a long and painful rebuild that got us some of the results we saw early in Lou’s tenure and many in that rebuild are still here. Some such as Sorokin, Nelson, and Barzal are still key players.

And yes believe the results Lou DID put us in a difficult position to sign an elite UFA (as Lou is apt to do) but I would also argue they don’t want and will never want to play here anyway.

Do you guys really want to go through this again? Another decade long rebuild?

Point is it really doesn’t matter who is at the helm. This is not an attractive franchise to play for. As Torrey did, and Snow said he would, the team must be built through the draft. Lou figured this out far too late.
Alternate facts? There’s no “or” in this. Snow was unable to accomplish anything meaningful in 13 years.

Reactions: Levi Walking Bear

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad