GDT: GDT #5 Colorado Avalanche vs New York Islanders | October 24th | 8 PM | F/7-4 L

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
As people have stated here. This team is a total train wreck and it's only going to get worse. Same crappy roster just a year older. Ownership is to blame, so now I hope was suck so bad we are a bottom 5 team so the ownership can stick it up their ass just worried about ticket sales!!!! I hope by mid-season the arena is EMPTY!

They need to relief Lou and start turning over this roster now!

Reactions: Bood12

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Played shitty D and made a bunch of mistakes, yet still took one of the best teams in the league the distance. Everything’s not all that bad.
the defense core hasn’t really played all that well other than coyote game. No Mayfield means basically playing five D which hadn’t helped. If Mayfield is out longer I’d hope they IR him and bring up someone like Hutton who has played well to start in Bridgeport. Bolduc isn’t trusted and can’t stay in much longer.

Reactions: JKP and Osakahaus

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Check out these TOI stats for a minute

Dobson 26:25

I’ll add Cizikas 9:43. Not that I love him at this point in his career but with 4 years left on his deal, what is the thought process here?
Trying to tie game mostly, I think we will see Martin get scratched from time to time and perhaps you could have argued tonight would have been goof opportunity to do that. I believe this is why Gauthier was brought in to spell Martin and Clutterbuck at times.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
As people have stated here. This team is a total train wreck and it's only going to get worse. Same crappy roster just a year older. Ownership is to blame, so now I hope was suck so bad we are a bottom 5 team so the ownership can stick it up their ass just worried about ticket sales!!!! I hope by mid-season the arena is EMPTY!

5 games in and you want them to finish bottom 5? Some fan you are.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
When I said play defense, I meant play defense

They've given up over SIXTEEN GOALS over the past three games. This is some of the worst defense i've seen since 2018. If you want to be mad at anyone, be really mad at the PP being god awful. That breakdown in the 2nd came down to the absolute awful breakdown of the power play. Be mad at how awful Lambert has managed this team as well. I'm just tired. This season might go down the shitter and FAST.

Oh, and I best recommend start getting ready for cap hell. We're gonna be in it for a long time if the NHL continues to suck.

Reactions: Levi Walking Bear

Rehabguy

In ROY I trust
Oct 2, 2011
Yep. No chemistry between Horvat and Barzal. Split those two up. Barzal needs to be back at center and get rid of this crappy system by getting rid of Lambert. Lou shouldn’t be too far behind. Toews for 2 second rounders. Are you kidding me?

Honestly Jack Capuano was a better coach than Lambert. Way way better. This team plays horrible. The guy doesn’t have a clue. How many more seasons will this team not have a power play to speak of. This is inexcusable. The team needs to totally revamp its system. The Trotz/Lambert era is over. Screw the trap. The team doesn’t know if it should be sitting back or attacking. No Mojo. Not playing hawd.

They need to turn the page with new management from Lou down. The trap era is over. Get these boys playing hockey again. At least make it entertaining. The Avs play to win. Bring in an offensive minded coach and open up the Isles game again. Get Barzal back at center. Horvat is an overpaid 3rd line center. He shouldn’t be on the first line. The Isles play not to lose and in the process- lose.

Another year of this? I’m that close to changing my Verizon plan and giving up my free ESPN+ channel. This crap ain’t worth it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Olliemets

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
Lane and his entire staff need to go asap. The roster isn't great, but it shouldn't playing be this bad.

Bring in a new coaching staff before we bury ourselves. Give it one last good go. If it doesn't work out, send Lou off into the sunset and get ready to start another long rebuild.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
This goes back to last year. The defense is horribly mismanaged. The Dobson minutes reflect that. Pelech has been a nightmare last three games. How does playing Bolduc 6 minutes help that.

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
Barzal is just not the guy
If I remember correctly, someone on this board posted that his no trade doesn't kick in till next year. And that Lou would be looking at him very closely prior to that. Who's to say what the future holds?

A boarding penalty 120 feet away from your net while on a 4 minute power play in the 3rd period.

I’d be very upset with Barzal if I was a teammate. That’s stupid hockey.
Hockey IQ ?

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
Its pretty bad. Without Sorokin, this team is picking top 8.
Sorokin goes down with a season ending injury , Islanders drop out of contention Lou trades anyone he can for pennies on the dollar , earth shattering trade of Barzal & Varly to a contender ushering in a new direction for the return of Garth Snow only in Islanderville!

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
My two observations from this game. One, Pelech has been flat out bad in multiple games already early in this season. He really needs to get his act together. Second, I dont care how many highlight reel saves you make, you cannot have your Vezina contending goalie allowing 10 goals in a two game span when you face good teams for the first time. There is no way to win if that happens. For all the great saves Sorokin made, there was minimum 4 goals of the 10 in these two games that he should have had.
Can you say Rogie Vachon.

Sloppy. Undisciplined. Many bad decisions with the puck
Caused by a team that's on you like " White on Rice"

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
When I said play defense, I meant play defense

They've given up over SIXTEEN GOALS over the past three games. This is some of the worst defense i've seen since 2018. If you want to be mad at anyone, be really mad at the PP being god awful. That breakdown in the 2nd came down to the absolute awful breakdown of the power play. Be mad at how awful Lambert has managed this team as well. I'm just tired. This season might go down the shitter and FAST.

Oh, and I best recommend start getting ready for cap hell. We're gonna be in it for a long time if the NHL continues to suck.
Correct, unfortunately an early injury to one player ,Mayfield highlights how poor our NHL depth is on defense and it's not pretty.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
They need Mayfield back. Barzal needs to not take that penalty when they have a 4min PP. It's only 5 games. I have faith they'll get things sorted out and the PK will be much better when Mayfield returns. On the Thursday!

Reactions: MJF

Rehabguy

In ROY I trust
Oct 2, 2011
I don't know why anyone would put any blame Barzal for this loss. He is one of the more dynamic players on the Islanders if not the league and he willingly plays under a system that stymies the game he naturally wants to play and is best suited for. I haven't seen any complaints from him. I see him being a good soldier giving up his coveted center position if it were to help the team. (Which I don't think it is). Like him or not, he's still the best offensive player on this team and I remember pre-Trotz days he was the most visible player on the ice making things happen on every shift. EVERY SHIFT. We barely see that anymore though people like to focus on the few mistakes he will make from time to time because he naturally more puck possession time. That boarding call BTW was a weak call and the opposing player look like he was hit by a truck. He clearly embellished it.

The problem with this team is the coaching and construction of the roster. I'll give credit to Lou for treating the team as a family and holding onto aging players that we all want to see succeed while wearing the Islander's uniform but it's the GM's position to see beyond that and look out for the long term success of the team. Too many assets, first round picks, salary spent on players that won't take this team any closer to the Cup. Gauthier and Fasching were brought onto this roster and they're not even playing most nights. The Horvat Barzal experiment is not working. Have them both centering on two different lines.

I know it's early in the season and they played against some really good teams but the team looks disjointed. STILL no power play to speak of and it's been what, 4 years? They need to clear out management first from GM to coach and start fresh and get this club headed in a new direction. Keep the roster intact under a new more offensive minded system. We have one the best goaltenders in the league how much more do we have to focus on defense? Take their chances. Open up the game again. Play the modern game. I think the roster has more talent than we give it credit for but there's just way too much emphasis being placed on defense and sitting back most nights. We have a good mix of offensively gifted individuals including Dobson, Pulock, Horvat, Barzal, Nelson, Palmieri, Lee etc.... There's offense there to be had. It seems like they opened up the game a little the last 3 games but Lambert has no idea how to implement such as system because he was educated on a totally defensive minded system and this is no time for a rookie coach to take this team in a new direction.

Reactions: Olliemets

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
It amazes me how sloppy they are and Lambert has had one full season, one full offseason, and two full training camps.

I’m adamant this this team needs a fresh voice from the outside that can actually implement ANY system. Lambert is living off the coat-tails of Trotz.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
When you play a team which is far better than you -- you look bad.

Yall are ready to go jump off a bridge because we got out gunned by the Avs. Comon people. reality check.

Too early in the season to be this off the rails. At least give it till Thanksgiving....

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I don't know why anyone would put any blame Barzal for this loss. He is one of the more dynamic players on the Islanders if not the league and he willingly plays under a system that stymies the game he naturally wants to play and is best suited for. I haven't seen any complaints from him. I see him being a good soldier giving up his coveted center position if it were to help the team. (Which I don't think it is). Like him or not, he's still the best offensive player on this team and I remember pre-Trotz days he was the most visible player on the ice making things happen on every shift. EVERY SHIFT. We barely see that anymore though people like to focus on the few mistakes he will make from time to time because he naturally more puck possession time. That boarding call BTW was a weak call and the opposing player look like he was hit by a truck. He clearly embellished it.

Cool, in a no defense system where the team would run and gun almost a decade ago he was noticeable every shift. You think he just reverts to being that player if things are opened up again? When he was doing that he had a lot of issues, the points were masking issues. Trotz fixed a lot of those issues but the one glaring one remains, he's not able to penetrate the defense on his own. I mentioned in the other thread that the NHL has caught up to players like him, there are more shifty players like Barzal than ever before. His possession games means almost nothing if he can't score or help set anyone up. Opening things up will result in more goals against and the team being less competitive on a nightly basis, but it'll give you those highlight reel 2 on 1 goals you're looking for.

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
They need Mayfield back. Barzal needs to not take that penalty when they have a 4min PP. It's only 5 games. I have faith they'll get things sorted out and the PK will be much better when Mayfield returns. On the Thursday!

Barzal reminds me of my 3 year old cat. When things do not "Go His Way" he does Stupid $hit!!!!! :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: Lek and JKP

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
This was a sloppy one again but they hung around until the end. Special teams were the star of the show again in this one.

The PK decided to get too cute two different times and both times the puck ended up going the other way for goals. The PP wasn't good, especially when Barzal took that dumb penalty to create a more disjointed PP opportunity. That sort of thing just can't happen and happens all too often with this team right now.

Sorokin was unbelievable, which is crazy to say in a game where he let in five.

The entire defense struggled, sans Romanov. Dobson is having one of the roughest stretches of his career. It's becoming a real problem that he can't seem to take the next step and requires being sheltered. Pelech is having a tough time, not sure if that's because he's not clicking with Dobson or if he's having his own issues. Pulock looks good in moments and then just non-existent in others. He's playing way too soft defensively and giving the opposition a lot of space to get shots off. Offensively he jumps in the play but is always winding up for the slap shot that hasn't worked since he was 16 years old. He'd be better off mixing in a wrister every now and again.

On offense I didn't have many issues with the top 6. I don't like Lee on the top line and would put Holmstrom back there but that won't happen since each of them scored. Pageau, Cizikas, Wahlstrom, Martin, and Clutterbuck all had bad moments. Martin becomes way less useful (which is saying something) when the fourth line is broken up. Wahlstrom was invisible, again, minus a big hit he threw in the first period (I think).

I give teams ten games to settle in but a lot of the same issues we saw last year are prevalent again in the early going.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005

Only caught the last 10 minutes of the game. Came here to get people's takes and unfortunately this is the first post I read.

Relief Lou! lol

Yall are ready to go jump off a bridge because we got out gunned by the Avs. Comon people. reality check.

Too early in the season to be this off the rails. At least give it till Thanksgiving....
Teams that lose rarely "look good."

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010

So true

The 6-0 Avs just set the ALL TIME NHL record for winning 15 straight regular season ROAD games last night and we took them down to the empty net goals PLAYING THEIR GAME, in a high scoring game. They were certainly motivated to beat us for that record. And enough with the "oh, it could be 8 or 9", we spent our money on goaltending specifically to have some games play like this and Sorokin earned that money to keep us in the game against a powerhouse.

Lee's tip-in attempt with the empty net missed by inches or we would be talking about how resilient we were. Barzal and Horvat created a lot of chances and those are going to be converted eventually. Finding the proper wing for them is still a work in progress. More and more I think someone who plays like Boeser is what they need. A fast shot who can keep up with them and doesn't need to create for themselves. Lee isn't fast enough and Wally hasn't figured out off-puck movement.

Holmstrom looked great last night; playing with Pageau and Clutterbuck freed him up to play deeper in the offensive zone and you can see the skill is coming out.

Martin got only 5:31 of ice time as the 4th line did not play much (Wally with 8:12 and Casey with 9:43) and we've been clamoring for that. Lambert sent a message to Casey last night (3 minors in 5 games is 98 PIMs for the year and that's unacceptable). More and more, Aho's offensive skills are showing up.

I've been saying to this board for a year now that the league has figured out that Pelech makes slow decisions when he is retrieving pucks and that has been exploited. Chip it deep to his side and get on him quickly; that's what is causing his issues (the last few games his aggressiveness also hurt, but the lack of moving the puck quickly is the root of his issues). He's got to stop trying to make a big play and move it around the boards quicker. If you haven't noticed by now, just watch the next game.

Pittsburgh and Washington look cooked and no way Phily and Columbus are going the whole year. Clean up Pelech and Dobson's game and we are going to be fine. We're 2-2-1; not 1-4.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad