GDT: GDT #4 New York Islanders @ St. Louis Blues | October 17th | 8:00 PM | F/OTL 1-0

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Only watched the highlights but for those who watched the game, has the 5v5 defense looked better than last year?

The highlights only show some things, but a lot of the Blues shots/chances seemed to come from the outside/points or very close down low. The slot appears to have been cleaned up a bit.

Grabbing a point when not scoring a single goal is a good result but discouraging for our offensive woes.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Only watched the highlights but for those who watched the game, has the 5v5 defense looked better than last year?

The highlights only show some things, but a lot of the Blues shots/chances seemed to come from the outside/points or very close down low. The slot appears to have been cleaned up a bit.

Grabbing a point when not scoring a single goal is a good result but discouraging for our offensive woes.

Much better, they did keep St Louis to the outside a lot more. And not taking penalties.

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
Mostly watched that unfortunate Met game last night but from what I watched of NYI, they looked pretty competitive and well coached for a road game. Sorokin looked back in his top form and NYI seemed to have the better of the chances.

So far I'm encouraged by what I've seen. Wins/pts aren't reflecting the quality of the play IMO. Not saying this looks like a powerhouse contender, but more of a 94-99pt team rather than the 90-95pt teams we've seen the past two years.

One thing that's unfortunately carried over is Isles having the worse luck (or performance) in the league when it comes to 3v3 games. You'd expect to get about half of those extra points and seems like NYI get about 1/4 to 1/3 of the,.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
To me this is the most encouraging thing. This team made the playoffs last year while Sorokin struggled. If he can bounce back I think this team should cruise to a playoff spot.
Considering the first two weeks are usually bizarro on GF and GA league-wide, the Isles have been fine. UT just can’t happen again.

Isles will be in the playoffs, depends on who they play in first round - I doubt it’s Carolina again - they should move through.

It’s a long season, but seeing Sorokin playing like that is very very encouraging.

Reactions: WangMustGo

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
ehhh, team is close. Man, if that Eiserman kid was ready to pop in some PP goals, we may be a threat. But if we're lucky, next year. As the great Throttle likes to say: The PP ain't getting it done with the horses we have.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
The team will make the playoffs. How far they go will largely depend on Sorokin. To me the biggest milepost for Lou will be the continued wait for contracts to expire and gaining more flexibility under the salary cap,

Reactions: Bill Herlyn

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
I don't think Duclair is a good fit on a Barzal line, Barzal is an east / west player and super difficult to adjust to. I think his speed would help the 2nd line and he would be more productive there. Move Tysplakov up, Duclair down
And Tysplakov can get pucks in the corners and get to the front of the net. Duclairs speed opens up one for Nelson and Palms.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I'll jump in as well. Duclair seemed like a more natural fit as a neutral zone/speed/zone entry guy for Nelson and Palmieri from the start, and I was a bit surprised to see him penciled in on the 1st line. Maybe he'll work out with Barzal and Horvat, but it seems like matching Barzal's playmaking with Horvat and Tsyplakov, two guys with great releases, would make some sense.

Rehabguy

In ROY I trust
Oct 2, 2011
I'd focus more on the lack of production from the 3rd and 4th line. Personally I would move Wahlstrom up with Pageau and Holmstrom and Lee down to the 4th line. Wahlstrom needs players who can set him up for his 1 timers and on a line that is more geared towards offense than the 4th line. Lee is a good fit for Cizikis and Maclean who are strong along the boards and could get the puck to the front of the net where Lee likes to hang out and Lee is responsible defensively. Right now the offense appears a little too top heavy. They got to get that 3rd line going. They need a shooter on that line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad