GDT: GDT #2 New York Islanders @ Dallas Stars | October 12th | 8:00 PM | F/L 3-0

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
As an isles fan, they need to abandon the ship. This patch work is getting tiring. Middle of the road gets old. They need a top pick 5 pick. In that range

I agree. I would love to add another Strome, Reinhart, or MDC. Maybe if we are lucky we can draft another Nino.

They need to continue to keep draft picks, not sign guys long term (AKA Palmieri/Nelson), and continue to keep Roy.

I personally did not mind the play these last two games aside from Dobson in the final two minutes the other night. This team will be fine, however, I believe the third line will be an issue for them.

Reactions: Rehabguy

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
I agree. I would love to add another Strome, Reinhart, or MDC. Maybe if we are lucky we can draft another Nino.

They need to continue to keep draft picks, not sign guys long term (AKA Palmieri/Nelson), and continue to keep Roy.

I personally did not mind the play these last two games aside from Dobson in the final two minutes the other night. This team will be fine, however, I believe the third line will be an issue for them.
I'm not sure age wise as a team where they fit in in the league but, I agree, let some of these older vets move on. Geet picks, and stop trading them away and build from there. Cause what they're doing , ain't working.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Ha. Mocking the concept of getting elite talent because of garth snow. Nice.

I guess according to you in a few years when the Isles finally do suck enough to get a top 5 pick they should just trade it because there's no chance they'll get a player like Doughtly, MacKinnon, Crosby, Draisaitl, Stamkos, Makar, Petterson, Kane, Barkov, Malkin, Reinhart, McDavid, Matthews, and we could go on and on with this list...

If you don't want to rebuild because you don't have the stomach/patience to go through the years it will take to do so that's fine, but just admit that. Don't act like truly sucking and drafting high (with a GM who isn't Mike Milbury or Garth Snow) isn't pretty much the key to ultimately winning a Cup.

barz2

Jul 1, 2023
"What's your impression of Oettinger ?"

Seriously ... That's the question you ask? He just shut out your team .. Think that was Staple too ..

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island

I guess according to you in a few years when the Isles finally do suck enough to get a top 5 pick they should just trade it because there's no chance they'll get a player like Doughtly, MacKinnon, Crosby, Draisaitl, Stamkos, Makar, Petterson, Kane, Barkov, Malkin, Reinhart, McDavid, Matthews, and we could go on and on with this list...

If you don't want to rebuild because you don't have the stomach/patience to go through the years it will take to do so that's fine, but just admit that. Don't act like truly sucking and drafting high (with a GM who isn't Mike Milbury or Garth Snow) isn't pretty much the key to ultimately winning a Cup.

I think it’s more important to keep your picks and draft well you don’t necessarily need top 5 picks. Look at Dallas and Boston for example. Heiskanen is the only top 5 pick on either roster that is a core player. Isles need to move some of the vets and shed some dead weight, but I don’t think a full rebuild is the only solution.

Reactions: Nassau Revisited

gordie43

Nov 21, 2008

Ok maybe they can draft another wahlstrom

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017
Chicago, Pittsburgh, and Washington. Kinda want to include Tampa on the list too, Stamkos was the beginning of a big reset for them. Maybe Avs too. All these teams got elite centerpieces as a result of being total garbage for at least one year.

If we’re talking about teams who have recently torn down, I think the Devils could break out but depends on goaltending and health. Edmonton obviously always a threat as long as they have McDavid and Drai.
We also can turn out like Buffalo, Phoenix, Anaheim, Detroit , Ottawa or Philly. Tanking and being bad for 2-4 years also means getting lucky and grabbing a superstar and not MDC or Kakko Kappo

We also have a small fan base and tanking for 2-4 years means 8-9k a night . I do not agree with Lou and his horrible long term contracts but a solid team can be built without tanking

Last edited:

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011

Of course you keep them. Every year there's a top 5 pick that turns into a McDavid, Crosby, Malkin, Kane, Matthews. It's as simple as that.

Purposely building a bad team in the hopes that the next McDavid may just be around the corner is a foolish way to build a team. I wouldn't want these fans to stomach what Edmonton fans had to go through to eventually end up with McDavid and Draisaitl or what Buffalo had to do to draft Jack Eichel and look where his career went. These teams sucked and sucked and sucked for what appeared like eternity acquiring #1 draft picks left and right including arguably the 2nd best player to have ever played the game but neither team has won the Cup.

For many teams it's just drafting smart or drafting lucky. We were lucky this past offseason in acquiring Tsyplakov in the offseason as well as drafting Cole Eiserman in the position he was still available at. Bossy was drafted at #15 overall. Barzal at #16. Sorokin was drafted at #78 in the 3rd round by a shrewd GM who went for a hail Mary pick given that most thought he would never come over to the NHL. Some later round picks become key players on all Cup winning teams.

It is not as simplistic as just tank and you become an instant Cup favorite.

Reactions: Nassau Revisited

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017
Of course you keep them. Every year there's a top 5 pick that turns into a McDavid, Crosby, Malkin, Kane, Matthews. It's as simple as that.

Purposely building a bad team in the hopes that the next McDavid may just be around the corner is a foolish way to build a team. I wouldn't want these fans to stomach what Edmonton fans had to go through to eventually end up with McDavid and Draisaitl or what Buffalo had to do to draft Jack Eichel and look where his career went. These teams sucked and sucked and sucked for what appeared like eternity acquiring #1 draft picks left and right including arguably the 2nd best player to have ever played the game but neither team has won the Cup.

For many teams it's just drafting smart or drafting lucky. We were lucky this past offseason in acquiring Tsyplakov in the offseason as well as drafting Cole Eiserman in the position he was still available at. Bossy was drafted at #15 overall. Barzal at #16. Sorokin was drafted at #78 in the 3rd round by a shrewd GM who went for a hail Mary pick given that most thought he would never come over to the NHL. Some later round picks become key players on all Cup winning teams.

It is not as simplistic as just tank and you become an instant Cup favorite.
Excellent post. Also would like to add this is a business and drawing less than 10k a night during a “re-build” is not appealing to any owner.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Roy post game interview: "I thought tonight we had better jump and were moving well on the ice,” Roy said. “If we could just fix our turnovers coming out of our d-zone we’ll be fine. We had a lot of good looks, couple posts here and there, so if we keep playing like this I know we’ll win our share of games,"

He's right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad