Proposal: Garland to New Jersey

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Canucks aren't going to deal him for fringe pieces. Holtz, Devils 1st, Ty Smith are the types of pieces the Canucks would be looking for.

Reactions: CaptainCanuck71

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Canucks aren't going to deal him for fringe pieces. Holtz, Devils 1st, Ty Smith are the types of pieces the Canucks would be looking for.

I can’t see the Devils dealing Holtz for Garland. Holtz numbers this year in the AHL put him on a really solid trajectory to being an NHL player.

See my post above about the Devils first, it’s just not happening this year even if they really don’t need another high asset. If it does, it’ll be for a package to acquire a player a tier or two above Garland.

Smith could certainly be on the table. Zacha, Johnsson, or Kuokkanen added to Smith is likely what the Devils would prefer. Devils have some forward prospects in the AHL that are itching for an NHL opportunity that could be traded too.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Think of what you would want for Bratt or Hischier then offer that from your team and a good chance the Canucks would want nothing to do with it even because of his age work ethic and contract so add an incentive then we'll talk reality

2nds 4ths and fringe NHLers are absolute non starters for a play driver and yes he's small and has been on PP2 because we have a group that has had success together on PP1 but the guy is an absolute gamer and our best 5v5 scorer.

Teams dont just trade their best players because someone offers a fair offer unless there is a reason to. Garland is just starting out and finding his way in Van. Great contract it would have to be a great offer that would be painful for you guys.

youryeah

Jun 21, 2019
coming from a devils fan this is a terrible offer for the canucks. kuokkanen is spare parts, boqvist has shown me something in maybe 15 games out of his NHL career? the 2nd and 4th are not much

Reactions: CaptainCanuck71

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Think of what you would want for Bratt or Hischier then offer that from your team and a good chance the Canucks would want nothing to do with it even because of his age work ethic and contract so add an incentive then we'll talk reality

2nds 4ths and fringe NHLers are absolute non starters for a play driver and yes he's small and has been on PP2 because we have a group that has had success together on PP1 but the guy is an absolute gamer and our best 5v5 scorer.

Teams dont just trade their best players because someone offers a fair offer unless there is a reason to. Garland is just starting out and finding his way in Van. Great contract it would have to be a great offer that would be painful for you guys.

Hischier and Bratt aren’t really remotely equivalent to Garland in terms of value.

Garland is definitely way more valuable than this offer. This is the type of offer when bridges are burned and a player wants out or a team desperately needs to clear cap space. Vancouver is clearly only dealing him if the incentive is there for them.

Devils would have to put together a package of a forward (Zacha, Johnsson, Kuokkanen, Foote), defender (Smith, Mukhmadullin, Okhotiuk, Bahl, Walsh), and maybe picks on both sides to balance out a deal.

There’s a huge difference in some of those assets obviously, but some combo of those two above should easily be enough to make a reasonable deal.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Hischier and Bratt aren’t really remotely equivalent to Garland in terms of value.

Garland is definitely way more valuable than this offer. This is the type of offer when bridges are burned and a player wants out or a team desperately needs to clear cap space. Vancouver is clearly only dealing him if the incentive is there for them.

Devils would have to put together a package of a forward (Zacha, Johnsson, Kuokkanen, Foote), defender (Smith, Mukhmadullin, Okhotiuk, Bahl, Walsh), and maybe picks on both sides to balance out a deal.

There’s a huge difference in some of those assets obviously, but some combo of those two above should easily be enough to make a reasonable deal.
explain

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

Hischier is a 23 year old all-around 2C who plays all situations. In his prime, you’re probably looking at a 60-70 point two-way center which is extremely valuable in this league. For a relatable comparison, I’d say he’s probably a slightly lesser Horvat.

Bratt is a 23 year old forward who has been driving play extremely well the last two years and is hovering around a point per game this season. Constantly elevating every line he’s on and making his teammates drastically better. Depending on what his next deal looks like, it might enhance his value even more.

Garland is essentially a lesser version of Bratt and two years older. His value isn’t remotely close to Bratt. He scores at similar rates to Hischier while playing a less valuable position and hardly any special teams.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Hischier is a 23 year old all-around 2C who plays all situations. In his prime, you’re probably looking at a 60-70 point two-way center which is extremely valuable in this league. For a relatable comparison, I’d say he’s probably a slightly lesser Horvat.

Bratt is a 23 year old forward who has been driving play extremely well the last two years and is hovering around a point per game this season. Constantly elevating every line he’s on and making his teammates drastically better. Depending on what his next deal looks like, it might enhance his value even more.

Garland is essentially a lesser version of Bratt and two years older. His value isn’t remotely close to Bratt. He scores at similar rates to Hischier while playing a less valuable position and hardly any special teams.
Bratt is not more valuable than Garland unless he takes less than what Garland is being paid in the off season. 2yrs is meaningless you have zero idea how their careers will track. The last 3 yrs of 5v5 production is almost identical. Garland elevates his lines as well...classic example of overrating your own players due to exposure if this is your take.

I will give you that Hischier holds more value as a C but he's scored at 52pts per 82 so far he has a little ways to go before being anointed a 60-70pt guy. Nonetheless i would expect to add but not a lot if you were the one trying to pry Garland away.

Reactions: Diamonddog01

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Bratt is not more valuable than Garland unless he takes less than what Garland is being paid in the off season. 2yrs is meaningless you have zero idea how their careers will track. The last 3 yrs of 5v5 production is almost identical. Garland elevates his lines as well...classic example of overrating your own players due to exposure if this is your take.

I will give you that Hischier holds more value as a C but he's scored at 52pts per 82 so far he has a little ways to go before being anointed a 60-70pt guy. Nonetheless i would expect to add but not a lot if you were the one trying to pry Garland away.

Bratt is putting up far better numbers than Garland did at the same age. With how well he’s been driving play the last two years, it’s a good sign he will keep up that type of production.

Bratt likely doesn’t make more than Hischier on his next deal. Fitzgerald has been pretty damn good at signing contracts since becoming GM. All of his deals have been very reasonable, if not favored for the Devils.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Garland was essentially traded for the 9OA overall pick in last years draft. He’s done nothing to decrease his value. Guessing Vancouver would be looking for Mercer or maybe Mercer+

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021

Than it's a hard pass… Our team filled with water bugs need guys with size and despite the fact that Garland plays hard, if we're giving key assets, I want to be for something we're lacking and Garland doesn't check a lot of boxes.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
I don’t really see a reason for Canucks to trade garland. Would have to be a 1st (top 15) or a good prospect / RHD. Otherwise there’s zero incentive. Garland is on a decent contract and is a good top 6 winger.

Probably have better chance dealing for Boeser.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Garland was essentially traded for the 9OA overall pick in last years draft. He’s done nothing to decrease his value. Guessing Vancouver would be looking for Mercer or maybe Mercer+

It was definitely not Garland for #9 overall. Ekman Larsson was also in that deal, Coyotes retained on Ekman Larsson, and the Canucks were able to dump a bunch of contracts that had close to zero value, if not negative. Garland would not have been traded for the #9 overall pick on his own.

Mercer is not going anywhere for Garland. He essentially has identical stat lines in his first professional season as Garland has this year, why would that be even remotely reasonable for the Devils to do.

Devils have enough assets that they can meet value for Garland with other pieces. They’re not giving up Mercer, Holtz, or 2022 1st to do so.

Reactions: TBF1972

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Devils have enough assets that they can meet value for Garland with other pieces. They’re not giving up Mercer, Holtz, or 2022 1st to do so.

What though? I doubt Vancouver would be interested in Ty Smith, we already have a similar player in Jack Rathbone that we aren’t giving NHL minutes too. And I doubt they’d have any interest in a package of lesser pieces.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
I know. But dime a dozen players, especially young ones, are quite often moved in trades like this.

To be frank, there are multiple instances where dime a dozen players find an organization and just thrive. -- Duclair in Florida first example that comes to mind. William Karlsson VGK another.

While I support the approach of dealing a couple of dimes for a quarter... considering Garland's age and cap hit... I doubt Vancouver would be motivated to consider a deal like the one you're proposing...

Players like Gallagher in Montreal, and Atkinson in Philly seem like more realistic targets

Last edited:
Reactions: sting101

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
What though? I doubt Vancouver would be interested in Ty Smith, we already have a similar player in Jack Rathbone that we aren’t giving NHL minutes too. And I doubt they’d have any interest in a package of lesser pieces.

I said it in an earlier post, but Devils likely will want to send out an NHL forward in a deal, either Zacha, Johnsson, or Kuokkanen make the most sense. Could do without it but it makes the most sense.

There’s also a bunch of close-to-NHL ready forward prospects like Boqvist, Zetterlund, and Foote. Devils also could afford to part with a defensive prospect like Mukhmadullin, Okhotiuk, Bahl, Walsh, or Misyul. A combo of any of those forwards, a defender, and a pick to round out the value should be enough to make that deal. If it’s the devils second, it’s a high second as well.

There’s definitely something there that is fair value (Zacha + Walsh/Bahl/Okhotiuk + pick or Foote + Mukhmadullin, etc.).

Reactions: Bet the Over

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I said it in an earlier post, but Devils likely will want to send out an NHL forward in a deal, either Zacha, Johnsson, or Kuokkanen make the most sense. Could do without it but it makes the most sense.

There’s also a bunch of close-to-NHL ready forward prospects like Boqvist, Zetterlund, and Foote. Devils also could afford to part with a defensive prospect like Mukhmadullin, Okhotiuk, Bahl, Walsh, or Misyul. A combo of any of those forwards, a defender, and a pick to round out the value should be enough to make that deal. If it’s the devils second, it’s a high second as well.

There’s definitely something there that is fair value (Zacha + Walsh/Bahl/Okhotiuk + pick or Foote + Mukhmadullin, etc.).

Yea, hard pass. I only see Garland being moved in either a 1 for 1 deal, or maybe a deal with two quality pieces. Zacha as a center piece is not something I'd want any part of it. Bahl/Okhotyuk are interesting secondary pieces, but I'd need someone a lot better than Zacha as the primary.

The value is there I'm sure, I just don't like the fit. If Garland is traded my guess is it will be for either a similarly aged/valued RH'ed d-man or a 3rd line center capable of handling heavy defensive minutes.

Last edited:

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
this is simply not true

garland had no contract. vancouver only acquired the signing rights for garland.

arizona took back three cap dumps (6m, 2x3m) and retained around 1 million on the OEL contract for 6 years to receive the 1st round pick. generously you assign the 2nd round pick as the value for garland's signing rights. regarding garland's value today the contract he signed is a huge part of the valuation. if you think, his value is above 5m per year, you might give him the value of a mid to late first. if you are not enarmored with his game, it is more like an early second round pick. mercer or mercer + is a wet dream fantasy.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
While I support the approach of dealing a couple of dimes for a quarter... considering Garland's age and cap hit... I don't Vancouver would be motivated to consider a deal like the one you're proposing...

Players like Gallagher in Montreal, and Atkinson in Philly seem like more realistic targets
Gallagher with his contract has negative value.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad