Proposal: Garland to New Jersey

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
Boqvist & Kuokkanen are a dime a dozen type of players so i seriously doubt the 2nd and the 4th moves the needle.

Reactions: Grantham

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Boqvist & Kuokkanen are a dime a dozen type of players so i seriously doubt the 2nd and the 4th moves the needle.

I know. But dime a dozen players, especially young ones, are quite often moved in trades like this.

To be frank, there are multiple instances where dime a dozen players find an organization and just thrive. -- Duclair in Florida first example that comes to mind. William Karlsson VGK another.

Reactions: banks

Hammman

Apr 3, 2010
I know. But dime a dozen players, especially young ones, are quite often moved in trades like this.

To be frank, there are multiple instances where dime a dozen players find an organization and just thrive. -- Duclair in Florida first example that comes to mind. William Karlsson VGK another.
Ask yourself: would you trade NJs first this year for that package? Because that's essentially what the Canucks traded for Garland

Phrasing

Nov 16, 2007
No, Garland is awesome and on a good contract. Only EP, Garland and Horvat in the top 6 have little to no chance of moving.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Dude you gotta stop throwing Kuokkanen and Boqvist into every one of your proposals, unless you're asking for 3rd & 4th round picks for them. People here don't know who they are are surely not going to give up anything of value for them (as they shouldn't)

If you want Garland it'd probably look more like Severson or Walsh + Foote or McLeod + 2nd and that probably isn't enough either.

Stephen Gionta

Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Ask yourself: would you trade NJs first this year for that package? Because that's essentially what the Canucks traded for Garland

Just because that's what Vancouver did that doesn't mean it was smart for them to do that.

Not to mention there is an entirely new staff in place now. Past deals don't really matter when you have a new GM and President. It's pretty much a clean slate.

Dude you gotta stop throwing Kuokkanen and Boqvist into every one of your proposals, unless you're asking for 3rd & 4th round picks for them. People here don't know who they are are surely not going to give up anything of value for them (as they shouldn't)

If you want Garland it'd probably look more like Severson or Walsh + Foote or McLeod + 2nd and that probably isn't enough either.

See above post about young throw ins.

M2Beezy

Love ya Grubster
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Add Smith and Id potentially consider taking the proposal seriously

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Just because that's what Vancouver did that doesn't mean it was smart for them to do that.

Not to mention there is an entirely new staff in place now. Past deals don't really matter when you have a new GM and President. It's pretty much a clean slate.

See above post about young throw ins.

Problem is you're not using them as throw-ins you're using them a centerpieces unless of course you think a 2nd is the centerpiece in your trade.

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Here are a few scenarios I could see the Canucks actually thinking about

Severson or Walsh + Foote or McLeod + 2nd for Garland

Smith + McLeod for Garland

Sharangovich + Walsh + 2nd for Garland

Holtz for Garland

Reactions: zcaptain

Springfield Isotopes

Dec 9, 2018
Better to trade a big body like Zacha to the Bruins put him with veterans like Bergeron Marchand and Pasta. He will flourish and get goin. Easy 25goals there.
Jake Debrusk for Pavel Zacha

Stephen Gionta

Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
My goodness is Garland getting overrated around here...

He is a good player, but let's not act like he's a 1st liner. He is an above average 2nd line winger. I mean, he doesn't even play on the 1st PP unit on a non playoff team for Fs sake.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
The biggest issue I see with Garland deal is the lack of pieces the Canucks have — and that the Devils would want — to “balance out” the trade.

Devils could give up Foote/Zacha + Smith/Mukhmadullin quite comfortably from an organizational perspective. For Garland alone, that’s kind of a hefty price without getting some asset back in return. Devils also have some assets that would be a step down from those players. For example, Boqvist/Johnsson/Kuokkanen instead of Zacha or Okhotiuk/Bahl/Walsh instead of Smith, but I don’t think that moves the needle enough for the Canucks.

Zacha + Smith for Garland + 2022 2nd seems pretty fair to me, but Canucks are without theirs. Devils may also hold out because they may get better value by swapping Zacha and packaging Smith if they are looking to trade either.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Better to trade a big body like Zacha to the Bruins put him with veterans like Bergeron Marchand and Pasta. He will flourish and get goin. Easy 25goals there.
Jake Debrusk for Pavel Zacha

I could see this happening. Only issue here from the Devils side is their lack of RHS forward. In an ideal world, you swap Zacha for a righty, but also have to take what you can get.

Seventy7

May 16, 2015
Everything I’ve heard suggests Canucks want top 10 pick value in the primary asset coming back… ie: NJ protected 1st

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada

He is a good player, but let's not act like he's a 1st liner. He is an above average 2nd line winger. I mean, he doesn't even play on the 1st PP unit on a non playoff team for Fs sake.
Considering you're the one who made the thread and you've received pretty much only negative reactions, maybe you're underrating Garland.

Boqvist and Kuokkanen don't move the needle on any trade involving a top-6 player coming back (every team in the league has prospects like them) and that 2nd (even if its 33rd overall) shouldn't be the main piece in a deal for Garland.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Everything I’ve heard suggests Canucks want top 10 pick value in the primary asset coming back… ie: NJ protected 1st

Devils goaltending is horrendous right now and singlehandedly tanking games for them. There’s absolutely no way they can justify trading that first, even if it’s protected. The only way that might happen is if a Tkachuk-like player becomes available, but I doubt that.

What the Devils do have though is a boatload of young players and prospects they can deal from after accumulating picks in the last few years. In any deal they would look to leverage that.

Reactions: Bet the Over

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta

You're undervaluing him, he's an effective top 6 player on a sweetheart of a deal, you have to think of him like Blake Coleman was for the Devils a young cost controlled top 6 player

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad