Salary Cap: Garbage Day collection comes early!

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

ThosePuckingPenguins

Apr 28, 2009
Pennsylvania

Actually some good info here for once.

- Top priority is a LW for Sid to bump DOC down to L3. Player will be brought in on a short term deal. They will be patient and wait for the guys that get caught in the cap squeeze if necessary. No names given but this sounds like one of the mid-tier options like Duclair/Mantha to me.

- Penguins feel they need to tear it down, but want to field a semi-competitive team that spends to the cap for Sid's final years

- There is interest in Smith from other teams.

- POJ may return, but Dubas spent yesterday pondering replacements if necessary.
This is why I was a little annoyed with the whole ‘I’m not trading and clearing space just to salary dump.’ If he did that, he could’ve afforded someone like DeBrusk for Sid’s wing. Now we’re going to go bargain shopping instead.

Just sign Skinner and be done with it.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
This is why I was a little annoyed with the whole ‘I’m not trading and clearing space just to salary dump.’ If he did that, he could’ve afforded someone like DeBrusk for Sid’s wing. Now we’re going to go bargain shopping instead.

I don't think Skinner's got any reason to come here but I would love if he signed for a year, lit it up with Sid, and was dealt for a good return at the TDL to send him to a team playoff bound. Think he's got the record for most games played without seeing the playoffs iirc. :laugh:

That'd be a solid, smart gamble to make. But I dunno that Skinner gambles with the Pens instead of just signing somewhere that's a contender for pennies on the dollar.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish

Or if he just, you know, didn’t sign Graves and Acciari to ridiculous contracts last year. There still room for another boner contract today.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Sideline

May 23, 2004
I don't think Skinner's got any reason to come here but I would love if he signed for a year, lit it up with Sid, and was dealt for a good return at the TDL to send him to a team playoff bound. Think he's got the record for most games played without seeing the playoffs iirc. :laugh:

That'd be a solid, smart gamble to make. But I dunno that Skinner gambles with the Pens instead of just signing somewhere that's a contender for pennies on the dollar.
I think a one year deal for Skinner might suit him pretty well. He'd be super glued to the best centre he's ever had which would juice his stats. Give him a handshake agreement to put him on a contender at the deadline if (be real when) the Penguins are out of the playoff hunt and he would be well positioned to secure a massive bag in 2025.

He's only 32 so he doesn't have to worry about a 35+ contract scaring people off next year. But if Edmonton or Colorado offers the same money obviously hard to compete with those situations.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I think a one year deal for Skinner might suit him pretty well. He'd be super glued to the best centre he's ever had which would juice his stats. Give him a handshake agreement to put him on a contender at the deadline if (be real when) the Penguins are out of the playoff hunt and he would be well positioned to secure a massive bag in 2025.

He's only 32 so he doesn't have to worry about a 35+ contract scaring people off next year. But if Edmonton or Colorado offers the same money obviously hard to compete with those situations.
Yeah, I mean, I get it from a Pens perspective (sign a one-year, hope he excels with Sid and can be flipped for a good return from a contender at the TDL) but I'd imagine Skinner just signs that one-year deal with a contender. I dunno. Could see it going either way. Wouldn't be mad with Skinner with the above plan, always liked him.

Reactions: Sideline

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Good for Jake, get paid Boi!

I don't think the cap space is the issue, i think it's term. If you are asking for $6mil+ for example, I doubt you're wanting just 2 years, ya know?

Reactions: Sideline

Sideline

May 23, 2004
If it's Bob, that locks it up imo. Jake should do well alongside Kuch.

8 years, $69M total for Reinhart in Florida. Pretty fair for both sides on that one.
I really enjoy how owned the current generation of hockey insiders is when the Bobfather comes out of retirement two days a year. TSN literally drags him off a beach or back from the cottage and he still breaks more big news than half of the 'credible' reporters.

Last edited:

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Monahan, Foegle, Duchene or Duclair. Plenty of 2hd tier guys to chose from, ONE undoubtedly will be ours!:nod::laugh:

Sideline

May 23, 2004
I wish more teams did offer sheets. The way it's an "unspoken rule" not to use them is so dumb. Just eliminate it entirely if it's so verboten. :laugh:
I think one of the biggest reasons there aren't more offer sheets is that teams have 1 month to match. If the timeline was 1 business day it would be a lot easier to plan your offseason. If you have a potential big contract floating off your books for a month while everyone else is signing guys to firm deals you risk getting left with nothing.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
The Hayes arrival has burst my bubble. I am not expecting good moves today. The pick was nice to acquire from St. Louis, but whomever we pick there will ultimately be blocked by some veteran player with ties to the Boston area, so who gives a shit anymore?

Get a LW. Don't get a LW. Whatever.

Hopefully, they prove me wrong but I have no idea how we are going to be rid of 4 veteran players this off-season. And if we do, the free agents are going today so what will be left?

So, plus ca change plus c'est la meme chose.

Reactions: Dennis Reynolds

Sideline

May 23, 2004
The Hayes arrival has burst my bubble. I am not expecting good moves today. The pick was nice to acquire from St. Louis, but whomever we pick there will ultimately be blocked by some veteran player with ties to the Boston area, so who gives a shit anymore?

Get a LW. Don't get a LW. Whatever.

Hopefully, they prove me wrong but I have no idea how we are going to be rid of 4 veteran players this off-season. And if we do, the free agents are going today so what will be left?

So, plus ca change plus c'est la meme chose.
With some of the term being given out today I can see GMs looking at Smith as very low risk alternatives to giving a Tyler Bertuzzi 5.5x4 or Eller being preferable to Sam Carrick for 3 years

Reactions: Jag68Sid87
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad