Salary Cap: Garbage Day collection comes early!

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Think I read they're more afraid of arbitration. Which still isn't all that much I believe.
What's his arb case? "Dude, you sucked for SEVERAL years and you had a good spurt of 15 games...why do you deserve anymore than 900k?" and honestly, it would be quite the battle win. But may it's a no QO and you resign anyway to something. I think CBJ would be smart to bring him back and I have to imagine Nylander understands his struggles to stay up with the big boys. Have to assume he just wants a 1-2 year one-way at a cost that makes the team want to keep him up.
Friedman was saying during the draft that 8x8 had been on the table for a while from Carolina. Jake's intention for a while had been to test UFA though
I would be interested to get the NHL's take on the "reporting" lately. Someone is feeding a guy like Friedman contact discussion tidbits. Every NHL team interested is taking that in and creating their own competitive offer then just pontificating to the media "Well gosh if it was US, WE might offer something like $9.5mil!" Effectively, teams can "negotiate" and "talk to players" prior to July 1st. If the sentiment "well another team is offering XxX" is discussed by Jake's agent, I'd be waiving the flag on tampering. It clearly violates the spirit of the tampering rule even if it's not expressly forbidden.
Half of these threads are just people responding to Pixies' consistent and nonstop bitching
If you're comin' to HFboards for some high brow, intellectual discourse then buddy have I got some potentially shocking news for you.
50 pages of the SAME. EXACT. BULLSHIT. I cannot tell you how much better your HFPens experience will be if you put him on ignore like I did. You are literally missing nothing.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I don’t know enough about Quinn to make an informed opinion. But I’ll come back to you in a year after I’m able to tell you one way or the other, rather than make a reactionary judgment.

Why is it a reactionary judgement? Because you don't like the sound of it?

Quinn's record is there for anyone to see. I'm not being reactionary... I'm making an informed opinion based on precedent.

Also message boards are for takes from stupid regular-ass fans like me. Are some of you sure you're in the right corner of the internet?

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I thought it was obvious he is going to sign for league minimum in Vancouver right?
Seems about dumb enough to be a JR (sorry, Alvin) move, yeah.

Speaking of Vancouver, it'd be very funny if Jake didn't sign in Tampa, made it to FA and JR (*ahem* sorry, Alvin) threw like $10M AAV at the guy last second. Love a bit of chaos.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Speaking of ol' acorns for brains, has Kap turned tail and headed back to Europe to fade into obscurity in some D-tier pro league yet?

f***, that dude sucks, and this team spent two 1sts on him. :laugh:

He will definitely accidentally harm people though. Like a driving accident or lighting a house on fire or undercooking chicken. Just some sort of Darwin Award kinda thing.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
So is it just me or is there tampering going on basically all the time?

Tampa had to be pretty damned confident that Guentzel would sign to clear all that cap space and trade a third for him.

How would they know that without talking to him or his agent?

Then there's also how guys sign almost immediately on July 1st when FA opens and before they even had much of a chance to talk to anybody.

Lust for Life

Jun 30, 2018

Tampa had to be pretty damned confident that Guentzel would sign to clear all that cap space and trade a third for him.

Then there's also how guys sign almost immediately on July 1st when FA opens and before they even had much of a chance to talk to anybody.

I thought the teams could talk with the players a few days before, was that removed?

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024

It's not tampering, it's "tampering."

It's basically the UFA version of "we're not circumventing the cap, we're just using LTIR."

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I don’t know enough about Quinn to make an informed opinion. But I’ll come back to you in a year after I’m able to tell you one way or the other, rather than make a reactionary judgment.
EK had his best offensive production under Quinn. So yes, give it a chance to see if it works before panning it. Getting rid of TR should have been met with optimism, but some here are mired in depression I suppose.

ThosePuckingPenguins

Apr 28, 2009
Pennsylvania
Pixies is definitely determined to suck all the oxygen out of this thread. But I get it. Dubas as some boy wonder is a farce, like the Wework guy or Theranos lady.

I have accepted the org knows it's over but just wants Sid to stay on regardless. And that is the path forward.
Honestly, this is why I don’t get as frustrated about the current predicament. It’s clear the plan is to give the core a dignified end and not go into a full tear it down rebuild. But they’re also not going to spend assets on trying to maybe sneak their to get pasted in the first round. They’ll collect assets so they have some good pieces when the core three are retired.

It sucks because it feels like we’re stuck in purgatory but I also get it from a ‘give the core three the ending that THEY want.’

Reactions: ChaosAgent

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019

I think there are still rumors that Jake might not sign there, as a previous poster mentioned earlier in the thread. So maybe not tampering? Although there absolutely has to be tampering league wide when so many player signings get announced the first minute free agency starts.

Didn’t we lose a pick trying to acquire a player quite a few years ago? Hambuis?

You can’t talk shit on Dubas. But you can be critical of Quinn in a year.

Any other rules?
Oh boy.

Reactions: Pancakes

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
You can’t talk shit on Dubas. But you can be critical of Quinn in a year.

Any other rules?

When it comes to a large chunk of Penguins fans... there's always a good number of excuses at the ready to kick the can down the road re: coaching. Even though again... let me emphasize this... this is not a league that should show loyalty to coaches. Armchair generals can get as sour about that inconvenient little fact as they want to get but it's been the rule of the road for a long ass time and hasn't changed and in fact is possibly as pertinent as ever looking at last season.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Honestly, this is why I don’t get as frustrated about the current predicament. It’s clear the plan is to give the core a dignified end and not go into a full tear it down rebuild. But they’re also not going to spend assets on trying to maybe sneak their to get pasted in the first round. They’ll collect assets so they have some good pieces when the core three are retired.

It sucks because it feels like we’re stuck in purgatory but I also get it from a ‘give the core three the ending that THEY want.’

If the moves mimic that then I am fine.

It’s my belief outside of the Hayes trade nothing we have done mimics that narrative.

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
EK had his best offensive production under Quinn. So yes, give it a chance to see if it works before panning it. Getting rid of TR should have been met with optimism, but some here are mired in depression I suppose.
That’s actually a good point on the EK connection.

The major issue I had with the coaching staff last year was how they handled Karlsson. I thought he looked good to excellent in the first half of the year, and it seemed like the staff was set on trying to make him play into a system that does not play to his strengths or skill set. He was way better off playing his own game and improvising, and we should have adjusted our style a bit, at the very least for when he was on the ice. Hopefully this changes very quickly.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
When it comes to a large chunk of Penguins fans... there's always a good number of excuses at the ready to kick the can down the road re: coaching. Even though again... let me emphasize this... this is not a league that should show loyalty to coaches. Armchair generals can get as sour about that inconvenient little fact as they want to get but it's been the rule of the road for a long ass time and hasn't changed and in fact is possibly as pertinent as ever looking at last season.
Watching fans defend Quinn now like they did after Todd’s signing is funny as hell.

Same exact narrative too. He’s the EK whisperer!!!

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
If the moves mimic that then I am fine.

It’s my belief outside of the Hayes trade nothing we have done mimics that narrative.
He shoulda got Mikheyev and Hayes tbh. Take em both for seconds.

Maybe Mikheyev wouldn't have wanted to come here rather than Chicago

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I don’t think there was any situation where Quinn would have come out of that a winner.
"Well Quinny bud, you were bad enough to make us last and get us the 1ov but at the same time, you weren't good enough to make the assets we want to send out value's good and we had to take less...so for that, you're fired.

Reactions: PenguinSuitedUp

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Watching fans defend Quinn now like they did after Todd’s signing is funny as hell.

Same exact narrative too. He’s the EK whisperer!!!
I personally don't think assistant coaches matter all that much. At least not here they don't. It's clear that Sullivan has extensive control over all things with the team as evidenced by how they've switched his assistants out repeatedly only for the team to continue to have the same problems.

Reactions: Andy99

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
Why is it a reactionary judgement? Because you don't like the sound of it?

Quinn's record is there for anyone to see. I'm not being reactionary... I'm making an informed opinion based on precedent.

Also message boards are for takes from stupid regular-ass fans like me. Are some of you sure you're in the right corner of the internet?
It would be reactionary of me to make a judgment on Quinn because I don’t have any knowledge of him to base an opinion on him. And I don’t think a stat record of his time with the Sharks and the prior Rangers’ teams is enough for me to feel comfortable with. I didn’t say anything about you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Turkey
    KNOCKOUT Austria vs Turkey
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $15,750.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia