Salary Cap: Garbage Day collection comes early!

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Watching fans defend Quinn now like they did after Todd’s signing is funny as hell.

Same exact narrative too. He’s the EK whisperer!!!

There is one reason and one reason only that Quinn was brought in and at this point everyone should know what it is. If we're really going to be so obtuse here in 2024 after everything we've seen post B2B to think otherwise I guess I just don't know what to say.

Reactions: Gurglesons

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
I personally don't think assistant coaches matter all that much. At least not here they don't. It's clear that Sullivan has extensive control over all things with the team as evidenced by how they've switched his assistants out repeatedly only for the team to continue to have the same problems.
I don’t know. I felt a LOT better about our defense when Martin was here. We’ve gotten consistently worse since then. I would take him back in a second

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
My one "this needs to happen" for this past season was dealing Jake instead of letting him walk for free or re-signing him. This season, it's move Petts at the deadline. Hope we go 2 for 2 on that.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I don’t know. I felt a LOT better about our defense when Martin was here. We’ve gotten consistently worse since then. I would take him back in a second
Maybe. That was also when everything about the team felt better and Sullivan hadn't gotten into the coaching rut yet that he has now.

maybe Martin had something to do with that. Who can say *shrug*

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
My one "this needs to happen" for this past season was dealing Jake instead of letting him walk for free or re-signing him. This season, it's move Petts at the deadline. Hope we go 2 for 2 on that.
It's really funny how the premium assets we have still aren't going to return firsts. Jake didn't bring a first back and MP sure isn't going to either even though he's worth that. There's just no way KD is gonna get one for him.

We're gonna end up with like 25 second round picks for next year's draft :laugh:.

Honestly I'd be surprised if they didn't just re-sign MP though unless his demands are outrageous.

Lust for Life

Jun 30, 2018
It's really funny how the premium assets we have still aren't going to return firsts. Jake didn't bring a first back and MP sure isn't going to either even though he's worth that. There's just no way KD is gonna get one for him.

We're gonna end up with like 25 second round picks for next year's draft :laugh:.

Honestly I'd be surprised if they didn't just re-sign MP though unless his demands are outrageous.

We could for sure get the #1 overall pick in the draft by offering 25 second-rounders though :laugh:

Reactions: Pancakes

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

Yeah but all those second round picks.

Do you even REALIZE how many Johannes Salmonssons you could draft with that?!?

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019

I think Petts could bring back a 1st at the deadline. It'll be from a contender so it'll probably be like 20-25th overall, but eh. Jake's refusal to negotiate with his new team absolutely ratf***ed his value.

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
Maybe. That was also when everything about the team felt better and Sullivan hadn't gotten into the coaching rut yet that he has now.

maybe Martin had something to do with that. Who can say *shrug*
Fair. It could also have been timing. . . Some of the parallels between Bylsma’s arrival and Sullvivan’s are kind of interesting. In both cases, the team went from a more structured, defensive philosophy to opening up their play a bit and becoming a lot more aggressive. Sometimes the timing is just what it needs to be.

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019

I think Jake would have returned a first if we didn’t decide that we needed a roster player back. And that’s where I can see valid criticism of that trade, because to me the question isn’t about whether we got enough value, but whether we got the right kind of value. Given the situation where you still have Crosby and Malkin, though, you still need to show them that you’re going to give them capable wingers. So I understand why we went for Bunting and multiple lower-tier prospects rather than a top 5 guy from Carolina’s pool or a 1st.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I think Petts could bring back a 1st at the deadline. It'll be from a contender so it'll probably be like 20-25th overall, but eh. Jake's refusal to negotiate with his new team absolutely ratf***ed his value.

Petts is going to be re-signed without question and the dorks talking about how Dubas is making good moves will use JFresh charts to say it is a great signing.

• Haha
Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
If we are about entering a youth era he should have moved Jake for pure futures and hired a coach that has success with youth.
It is puzzling in retrospect that Dubas acquired a volume of assets rather than just a first + prospect and said something like "this will help us be in on other players" and now just a few months later he's clearly all about just acquiring assets to hoard for the future rather than to trade for any sort of immediate help now.

The message has been all over the place with KD.

I'm OK with that if he sticks to the course he's chosen now, because short term deals + acquiring picks/prospects + refusing to move them out for short term help = a fine formula for me. I'm ok if that's the course they've chosen to take. They just need to stick with it though and not keep pivoting all over the place.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
It is puzzling in retrospect that Dubas acquired a volume of assets rather than just a first + prospect and said something like "this will help us be in on other players" and now just a few months later he's clearly all about just acquiring assets to hoard for the future rather than to trade for any sort of immediate help now.

I'm OK with that if he sticks to the course he's chosen now, because short term deals + acquiring picks/prospects + refusing to move them out for short term help = a fine formula for me. I'm ok if that's the course they've chosen to take. They just need to stick with it though and not keep pivoting all over the place.

Yeah this is what I am getting killed around here for saying in a repetitive obnoxious way.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Petts is going to be re-signed without question and the dorks talking about how Dubas is making good moves will use JFresh charts to say it is a great signing.
Petts is so overrated around here, it's wild. You suggest the team move him to continue the gradual but deliberate teardown and people act like you've suggested moving a prime Lidstrom or something. Dude's been meh for all of his career outside of like a season and some change.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Petts is so overrated around here, it's wild. You suggest the team move him to continue the gradual but deliberate teardown and people act like you've suggested moving a prime Lidstrom or something. Dude's been meh for all of his career outside of like a season and some change.
Eh, he's pretty good, especially compared to what we we run out of the rest of the d.

If the team really is making a token effort at being competitive, it would be insane to move him lol. If they've given up all hope on even making a push for #8 seed, then by all means ship him out asap.

Yeah this is what I am getting killed around here for saying in a repetitive obnoxious way.
Hopefully KD's message is more consistent internally than what he's spouting externally.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
It is because most people just regurgitate charts.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

I mean that's really all some of us have been saying. If they wanna dish for futures at this point I think only the most delusional fans would be opposed. But they gotta DO it and not slow-walk this thing. Obviously I myself have been pretty cynical about their words as they have not lined up enough with action in recent years but we'll know a lot more about how serious they really are by the end of Summer I suppose.

Like I get that as the GM it sucks not getting the deal you really want. But that doesn't mean it's fine to just keep letting the years slide by and holding the same cards in your hand while repeating over and over "Nope... not rich enough, yet. Better to wait until later when they change their mind!" They won't change their mind... they'll go somewhere else.

Me personally I would have much rather gone full-hog when Hex (or preferably a much better candidate) was hired, cleaned out the bench after year one (there's Sullivan's "give him just ONE more chance... he's changed... really!" moment everyone cries about) and thrown the entire ass remaining kitchen sink at trying to get Sid and co. into the playoffs as many years as possible. And no... not by simply re-upping the whole gang to lucrative, long-term deals and then tossing mid players like Raks etc. on top of that - real, needle-moving players akin to the Kessel deal or (sigh) the EK deal. Then rip the bandage off hard starting like next season or the season after. But obviously that's just fantasy now and you play the cards you are dealt. But that doesn't mean I won't continue to be bitter about it.

Last edited:

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Eh, he's pretty good, especially compared to what we we run out of the rest of the d.

If the team really is making a token effort at being competitive, it would be insane to move him lol. If they've given up all hope on even making a push for #8 seed, then by all means ship him out asap.

Hopefully KD's message is more consistent internally than what he's spouting externally.
He's not, though. He's a whatever, average middle pairing (edit, misspoke) guy who just happens to be the only halfway competent blueliner defensively. :laugh: When Marino was dealt, we all thought/hoped Petts was getting dumped cuz the dude's aggressively mediocre. /shrug

I'm hoping by this time next year, we'll have moved Petts and there's a plan in place to deal Rust during the summer when his NTC expires. That's about all I care about anymore. Way past hoping Jarry, Graves or Sullivan are removed/replaced, and this era's f***ing donezo--for years by this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad