Salary Cap: Garbage Day collection comes early!

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
While the pens were relevant for nearly two decades, every other "contending" team had a few bad years along the way
The TBL, BOS, NYR, WAS, etc etc all had shit stretches.

We didn't. And we had like #60 draft picks cause we never had a low slot.

We didn't really play correct for a salary cap sport. Now we have to suffer the five year long reset we're lining up. Then five more for windows to open.

Boston never did.

What year is it?

I was trying to make references Ryder would understand.

• Haha
Reactions: Dennis Reynolds

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Over the hill forwards who decidedly got worse as the year went along. A PP that was mind numbingly and inexplicably bad. He had one of the worst hands any GM could have possibly had.

The core let him down, he believed in them and they soiled the bed. THEN they got the blues when Jake was traded and played like shit. That's on them, not him.
Not firing Reirden way sooner was on him. Not sure if he has the authority to fire Sully, but if so, that too.
That's not to say there aren't things that he did which I liked. I do believe he would execute a rebuild well. However I am a bit concerned with how attached and loyal he gets, when he should be prioritizing what's best for the team. This goes back to his Toronto days too.
As a GM you need to be able to make the hard choices, not succumb to the path of least resistance.

Reactions: Andy99

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Not sure I buy that.

Boston is a perfect example of how easily the Penguins good have had success with their older core and a win now mentality that was intelligently approached.
Are they? We don't have a McAvoy or a Pastrnak. The closest we had to that was Jake and he's nowhere near as impactful as either player.

They had/have better goalies too.

I will agree that Boston has done a much better job building around their star players than the Pens have over the past few years but they also have two young superstars to build around and we don't.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Not firing Reirden way sooner was on him. Not sure if he has the authority to fire Sully, but if so, that too.
That's not to say there aren't things that he did which I liked. I do believe he would execute a rebuild well. However I am a bit concerned with how attached and loyal he gets, when he should be prioritizing what's best for the team. This goes back to his Toronto days too.
As a GM you need to be able to make the hard choices, not succumb to the path of least resistance.
He was here ONE year and got rid of him. He saw that this team wasn't playoff caliber after being here for 8 months and traded the muppet. Not sure what you want him to do in such a small amount of time.

No one and I mean no one could have forecasted just how abysmal that PP would have been. Especially with EK being in the fold. With a decent PP they might have backed their way in to the post season. The core deserves the majority of the blame. They all of a sudden forgot how to play? They're the ones out there, they can figure it out. Regardless of the coach, they should know what to do.

Are they? We don't have a McAvoy or a Pastrnak. The closest we had to that was Jake and he's nowhere near as impactful as either player.

I will agree that Boston has done a much better job building around their star players than the Pens have over the past few years but they also have two young superstars to build around and we don't.
And they won one cup, we've won three in that era.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shady Machine

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Most people could have forecast how abysmal the PP would have been because it's been declining for years and hasn't changed. But that's not the real issue; the issue is why let it fester all season long when it could have been reworked by decree from on high at any time?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA

McAvoy was taken with a 14th. Pasta with a 25th overall.

Boston pulled the trigger on Cassidy.

Boston didn't get in love with their coach and roster players.

Boston sold great pieces.

Boston made big swings for roster players that had elite potential in Lindholm, Nash, etc.

Boston ran their franchise the right way. Not the arrogant way the Penguins have.

Yet we won 3 cups. A testament to our core who has been let own greatly by management.

Ryder does understand, he just didn't find it funny.

You know that old trees just grow stronger
And old rivers grow wilder every day
Old people just grow lonesome
Waiting for someone to say
"Hello in there, hello"
So if you're walkin' down the street sometime
And spot some hollow, ancient eyes
Please don't just pass 'em by and stare
As if you didn't care
Say, "Hello in there, hello"

Most people could have forecast how abysmal the PP would have been because it's been declining for years and hasn't changed. But that's not the real issue; the issue is why let it fester all season long when it could have been reworked by decree from on high at any time?

Dubas was planning.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Ryder does understand, he just didn't find it funny.
giphy.gif

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
McAvoy was taken with a 14th. Pasta with a 25th overall.

Boston made big swings for roster players that had elite potential in Lindholm, Nash, etc.

Boston ran their franchise the right way. Not the arrogant way the Penguins have.

Yet we won 3 cups. A testament to our core who has been let own greatly by management.

You know that old trees just grow stronger
And old rivers grow wilder every day
Old people just grow lonesome
Waiting for someone to say
"Hello in there, hello"
So if you're walkin' down the street sometime
And spot some hollow, ancient eyes
Please don't just pass 'em by and stare
As if you didn't care
Say, "Hello in there, hello"

Dubas was planning.

We've just stopped trying at this point I guess. :thumbd:

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

All true but none of that would have mattered at all if they hadn't also gotten outrageously lucky in the draft.

And if we don't want to call it luck, then what the hell were they doing when they had three first rounders in 2015 and took two busts and passed on Connor and Barzal.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
All true but none of that would have mattered at all if they hadn't also gotten outrageously lucky in the draft.

And if we don't want to call it luck, then what the hell were they doing when they had three first rounders in 2015 and took two busts and passed on Connor and Barzal.

Not sure. But much like losing the Seguin trade, they continued trying.

Because that's what champions and winners do. They don't give up like Dubas is.

A joke. A true embrace of Mike Sullivan's loser message.

You make your own luck in this league.

We've just stopped trying at this point I guess. :thumbd:

Days go by too slowly and
The years go by too fast
When your golden loneliness is
Heavier than stone
You can call me up and say
"My God, I'm all alone...
All alone..."

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

Dubas is just following the proud traditions set by JR (who gave up so hard that he just quit the team mid season) and Hextall (who gave up literally from day one when Mario/Burkle wouldn't let him do the rebuild he wanted).

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

They haven't won a cup since 2011. So much for them being champions. Best record a couple years back and lost in the 1st round.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Dubas is just following the proud traditions set by JR (who gave up so hard that he just quit the team mid season) and Hextall (who gave up literally from day one when Mario/Burkle wouldn't let him do the rebuild he wanted).

Hextall didn't give up.

He sucked his last year here, but he at least tried.

They haven't won a cup since 2011. So much for them being champions. Best record a couple years back and lost in the 1st round.

Yes, our core and management used to have it.

Now we give 50 million dollars to guy a who wears glasses, talks well and has one playoff win to his name.

He is our anoited champion.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Rightfully so.

Just like I said Hextall trading for Granlund was a fireable offensive by itself.

I'd still rather have a GM that tries versus whatever it is Dubas is doing the last 365 days.
Hayes move is alright. Hopefully the start of Dubas' redemption tour.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Hayes move is alright. Hopefully the start of Dubas' redemption tour.

Trades for Erik Karlsson.
Makes no moves throughout the season besides Pulju and Bemstrom.
Trades Guentzel for a win now player in Bunting and prospects that are also in the "retool" range and a 2nd round pick.
Now he says this team won't make win now moves and is focused on futures and young players that the core can usher in.
Keeps Mike Sullivan who sucks with youth.
Hires David Quinn who has been fired from two rebuilding teams because he sucks with youth.
Trades for a 32 year old who Sullivan and Quinn both will lap up and play over youth.

What is the plan?

If he's focused on building a young team why is he blocking out our two young prospects who are Cs by acquiring Hayes?

If he's focused on building a young team why is he allowing the hire of David Quinn who got the boot from San Jose after they were supposed to suck?

1719727994468.png

1719728003728.png

Reactions: HandshakeLine

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Better than nothing.

I like ChatGPT over Kindergarten Kyle.

When considering free agency signings for the Pittsburgh Penguins, a few factors come into play such as their current roster needs, available cap space, and the overall strategy of the team. As of now, here are a few potential targets they could consider:

1. Defensive Depth: Given the importance of solidifying the defense, targeting a defenseman who can play significant minutes and contribute defensively would be prudent. Players like Alec Martinez (Vegas Golden Knights), Ryan Suter (formerly of the Minnesota Wild), or Jamie Oleksiak (Seattle Kraken) could be options to bolster the blue line.
  2. Scoring Forward: Adding depth to their forward lines could also be a priority. Depending on their cap situation and available funds, players like Zach Hyman (Edmonton Oilers), Tomas Tatar (New Jersey Devils), or Blake Coleman (Calgary Flames) could provide scoring punch and versatility.
  3. Goaltending: Depending on their confidence in Tristan Jarry and Casey DeSmith, they might consider a veteran goaltender who could serve as a backup or provide competition. Players like Jonathan Bernier (New Jersey Devils), James Reimer (San Jose Sharks), or Brian Elliott (Tampa Bay Lightning) could be affordable options.
  4. Cap Management: It's crucial to consider players who fit within their cap constraints, especially considering their commitments to key players like Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin.
Ultimately, the Penguins should target players who not only fill their positional needs but also complement their existing roster and style of play. The availability of these players in free agency and their willingness to join Pittsburgh will also play a significant role in any potential signings.

• Wow
Reactions: BusinessGoose
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad