Salary Cap: Garbage Day collection comes early!

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrd1166

Jun 19, 2024
Pittsburgh
I don't get why any team would give up a second for Jeannot. So much hype for a nothing player.
We gave up a 3rd for smith the way he played he’s worth a 6th rd an he’s got a 5 million cap hit lol an he’s a panzi no back bone jeannot at least is 2.75 mil an some one who could stand up for his teammates this way your 36 year old captain doesn’t have to

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think Guentzel should absolutely chase the money, but to hear that the Canes basically said "okay, we'll meet your demand on your contract" only for him to say "nah I'm going to go to UFA anyway" definitely paints a picture of him not negotiating in good faith.

mrd1166

Jun 19, 2024
Pittsburgh
I hope the core asks out at this point.

Sullivan just hiring and acquiring a bunch of Bostonians is putting a severely bad taste in my mouth.

It's wild that Dubas is letting his legacy be drug down by this. True hockey guy.
#bringbackMario ans owner odd we have not won a playoff series since Fenway took over !!!

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
These discussions are worthy of Toronto media. Arguing over the semantics of rebuild/retool and 'core 4' core 3 core core CORE.

What we have is a team that is arguably an 8th seed if firing on all cylinders (while frankly also relying on the under-performances of 2-3 other clubs). Our problems could be addressed with an actual plan. A plan that is seemingly absent from the minds and desks of those who get paid handsomely to have one. Hopefully the lunchtime talks about the good old days in Boston are worth it.

We're not trading to improve, we're not trading to subtract, we're not tearing down and maximizing insane returns on guys like Karlsson at 50% or Crosby if you want to go there - we're just idling in the middle.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
These discussions are worthy of Toronto media. Arguing over the semantics of rebuild/retool and 'core 4' core 3 core core CORE.

What we have is a team that is arguably an 8th seed if firing on all cylinders (while frankly also relying on the under-performances of 2-3 other clubs). Our problems could be addressed with an actual plan. A plan that is seemingly absent from the minds and desks of those who get paid handsomely to have one. Hopefully the lunchtime talks about the good old days in Boston are worth it.

We're not trading to improve, we're not trading to subtract, we're not tearing down and maximizing insane returns on guys like Karlsson at 50% or Crosby if you want to go there - we're just idling in the middle.

Yep. Pathetic work by Dubas.

The people eating it up will be dunking on him when we are spinning our wheels still 3-4 years from now.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Again, go look at what actual NHL teams do when they start "rebuilds". The idea that any team immediately blows it up and trades everyone is nothing but a fantasy. It's just a bunch of NHL 24 GM thinking.

There are literally zero examples (at least in recent memory) of a team initiating a rebuild tearing it down entirely immediately after starting the rebuild. It doesn't happen, and judging Dubas based on that fantasy scenario is absolutely ridiculous.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Again, go look at what actual NHL teams do when they start "rebuilds". The idea that any team immediately blows it up and trades everyone is nothing but a fantasy. It's just a bunch of NHL 24 GM thinking.
Even more I think that Crosby and the others tied the hands of ownership and the GM by deciding to stay. What are the Pens going to do? Gut the team other than Crosby, Malkin and Letang?

Not that ownership minds. Those three still sell tickets even if the Pens don't make the playoffs.

mrd1166

Jun 19, 2024
Pittsburgh
Eller is down to 4c where he belongs and works best for the team.

Smith I don't f***ing understand why he's still there to be honest.

See the Hayes trade has the look of that but we know that it's a player one of the dipshits on the coaching staff wanted vs just being called up and asked if they were interested. Getting a 2nd was just lucky.

Blues desperately wanted him gone. To the point of giving up a 2nd and wanting nothing back at all. Says a lot.
Yes a bum I’d like to know the future consideration lol

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Even more I think that Crosby and the others tied the hands of ownership and the GM by deciding to stay. What are the Pens going to do? Gut the team other than Crosby, Malkin and Letang?

Not that ownership minds. Those three still sell tickets even if the Pens don't make the playoffs.

Yeah it's just a bunch of nonsense from ignorant fans who don't actually understand what a "rebuild" in the NHL looks like. The idea that a team just flips a switch and says "okay, rebuild time" and demolishes their roster is a fantasy that doesn't exist.

I've already mentioned the Sharks, but the Hawks are another example. Their rebuild officially started with the Keith trade in the summer of 2021 IMO, yet Kane wasn't traded until the 2023 deadline. Does that mean the Hawks weren't rebuilding because they didn't immediately trade Kane? Of course not.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA

There are literally zero examples (at least in recent memory) of a team initiating a rebuild tearing it down entirely immediately after starting the rebuild. It doesn't happen, and judging Dubas based on that fantasy scenario is absolutely ridiculous.

Most rebuilds trade out more than just one player when they start.

Rags moved on from Nash and McDonagh
LA moved on from Martinez, Campbell, and Toffoli

These are the two teams Dubas has referenced.

There are a ton of players on this roster that we can retain on and not move those three.

Crosby could not be here as soon as next season.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida

I know that's how your brain works - at least how it's portrayed here - but recent examples and what others do do not always represent absolute outcomes.

This is a tertiary debate to the core of what we're discussing here. Why is NONE of it being done? Why the slow rollout one way or the other? Is there a specific reason we're waiting for Sid/Geno to be 40 to trade assets that have dwindled in value?

Why is Petts going to be re-upped? Why Karlsson not shopped at 50%? Why Eller will play for the team going forward? Why is any of this ridiculous to a club that sucks? New York is shopping Trouba after a President's trophy. Tampa has shaken their roster every single year for 10 straight years, Florida has retooled several times, Vegas needs no explanation... But, heaven forbid the Penguins make more than one move because that's the thing of video games and is ridiculous? f*** this roster, it's hot trash and has gone / going nowhere. What's the attachment to a single piece of it?

Bowski

That's not how we do things in Pittsburgh
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
It's wild that Dubas is letting his legacy be drug down by this. True hockey guy.
Dubas' legacy, LMFAO!
im-embracing-failure-7ven.gif

mrd1166

Jun 19, 2024
Pittsburgh
Bringing my post in from the other thread in here.

I'm think some Penguins fans have a really warped view of what a "rebuild" looks like for actual NHL teams, just because the Penguins haven't done one in so long. The Penguins rebuild that made them the team they've been with Crosby/Malkin wasn't done overnight, and the moves made pre-dating the Crosby and Malkin picks were absolutely essential in the team turning into the dynasty it was.

Just pulling up the Penguins trade history starting with the Jagr trade, here's when some of the more rebuilding trades went down with more "major" Penguins players of that era:

-July 2001: Jagr trade
-March 2002: Kasparaitis trade
-February 2003: Ference trade
-February 2003: Kovalev trade
-March 2003: Hrdina trade
-August 2003: Hedberg trade
-November 2003: Straka trade

It wasn't anything immediate, and it didn't really fully ramp up until the 2002-2003 season (that 2003 deadline was wild with trades from the Penguins). But it took all of those moves plus the picks/prospects used in those drafts PLUS the Crosby, Malkin, Fleury and Staal additions for this team to take the next step. The real "nuking" of this roster isn't going to take place for another 2 or 3 years.
Your rebuild only took 2-3 years they traded every single one of the good players. How can you say they are doing a rebuild when they’re keeping four of the best players, and all of the other supporting roles who are all veterans that is not what a rebuild consists of look at what the sharks have done they have over 30 pics over the next three drafts that’s a rebuild fish

Reactions: Gurglesons

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Dubas' legacy, LMFAO!
im-embracing-failure-7ven.gif

Well, that's what I mean.

Dubas was already a mark for Toronto.

Now he's going to basically return to the Penguins to the 2002 era.

Pretty impressive work.. I can not imagine what FSG is thinking from a business perspective.

I know that's how your brain works - at least how it's portrayed here - but recent examples and what others do do not always represent absolute outcomes.

This is a tertiary debate to the core of what we're discussing here. Why is NONE of it being done? Why the slow rollout one way or the other? Is there a specific reason we're waiting for Sid/Geno to be 40 to trade assets that have dwindled in value?

Why is Petts going to be re-upped? Why Karlsson not shopped at 50%? Why Eller will play for the team going forward? Why is any of this ridiculous to a club that sucks? New York is shopping Trouba after a President's trophy. Tampa has shaken their roster every single year for 10 straight years, Florida has retooled several times, Vegas needs no explanation... But, heaven forbid the Penguins make more than one move because that's the thing of video games and is ridiculous? f*** this roster, it's hot trash and has gone / going nowhere. What's the attachment to a single piece of it?

You are ignorant because you don't agree with Empo.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Dubas’ plan is fine, the execution sucks…no one is saying he has to strip it to the studs but he hasn’t traded one vet yet, except Jake at the deadline because he wanted to go to market…if the plan is to get young hungry players around the core, where are we? I don’t blame him if no one wants Jarry or Smith, but he absolutely needs to trade Petts and ask Rust to waive if there are markets for them….no one but the core should be unmoveable

Reactions: Gurglesons

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018

>f*** this roster its hot trash
>what why the f*** does nobody want my hot trash?

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad