Salary Cap: Garbage Day collection comes early!

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
By the time the Pens made it clear they suck last year Dubas:

1. Traded Nylander/6th in 2026 for
Bemstrom
2. Signed Puljujarvi to try out
3. Traded Guentzel for a roster player, 2nd and three prospects.
4. Tried to trade Smith/Jarry
5. Acquired a 2nd with Hayes

Pattern/direction is clear. Remodel the house without tearing out the foundation by making low risk moves/adding futures. Nothing bipolar about it.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I am expecting more dominoes to fall July 2/3/4 than tomorrow or July 1.

As teams miss out on FA targets, the Pens can dangle Smith and Jarry. And as UFAs and even RFAs miss out on opportunities because of initially high asks, the Pens will be able to snag a couple.

Bemstrom

Pattern/direction is clear. Remodel the house without tearing out the foundation by making low risk moves/adding futures. Nothing bipolar about it.
And over the course of the next 18 months, I expect Smith, Jarry, Pettersson, Eller, Acciari, Rakell, and possibly Rust/Karlsson to all be gone.

Bemstrom

And over the course of the next 18 months, I expect Smith, Jarry, Pettersson, Eller, Acciari, Rakell, and possibly Rust/Karlsson to all be gone.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
I also think if a young player became available who could potentially create a new window with Pittsburgh like Tkachuk did with Florida, then Dubas would prefer that. But before that you actually need stuff the other team would want. Or with Marner, I highly doubt Toronto would even consider Pitt given the politics.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I also think if a young player became available who could potentially create a new window with Pittsburgh like Tkachuk did with Florida, then Dubas would prefer that. But before that you actually need stuff the other team would want. Or with Marner, I highly doubt Toronto would even consider Pitt given the politics.
Yes. That could be a trade or two we see, especially after the frenzy of July 1. Some 24-25 year old with NHL experience is passed over on a contending team that goes out and gets higher profile UFAs at the players position.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Bemstrom

The only way it's "bipolar" is because people don't actually know what rebuilds look like, because it's been 23 years since the Penguins last started a rebuild.

The Sharks have had one of the more sell-offs in recent memory and they're still only averaging about 2 significant players sold off per year:

-Burns trade: July 2022
-Meier trade: February 2023
-Karlsson trade: August 2023
-Hertl trade: March 2024

Granted they don't have a ton more worth trading, but they still have Couture and Ferraro as notable pieces yet to sell off.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Imo this upcoming season will be the last where the facade of a "retool" will be kept up if they dont make the playoffs. After that Geno will be 39 and Letang/Sid will be 38. You cant keep selling the casuals on a retool after missing the playoffs for 3 years with an ancient core.

ThosePuckingPenguins

Apr 28, 2009
Pennsylvania
Imo this upcoming season will be the last where the facade of a "retool" will be kept up if they dont make the playoffs. After that Geno will be 39 and Letang/Sid will be 38. You cant keep selling the casuals on a retool after missing the playoffs for 3 years with an ancient core.
Especially since season after next year will more than likely be Geno’s last.

Reactions: Malkinstheman

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Crosby, Malkin and Letang aren't idiots.

They all know that if they want to compete for one more cup, that their best chance to do so would be elsewhere.

They obviously are willing to give up that better chance to stay together, to stay in Pittsburgh, and to end their careers here.

Have they given up on another Cup?

No.

But realistically the chances are small and no move made will change that.

So we have what we see. A soft rebuild. Sort of like treading water.

And we owe it to them.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I don’t see any reason to trade Smith. Him, Hayes and Puustinen is the 3rd line.
Smith could be our best PK'er if used there more next year.
Put him with Sid all year and I think he can play up to his contract.
Good player who had a bad attitude in year 1. Will be more at peace with being here in year 2.
Still squeezed out 40 points in a PP2 role, so people exaggerate his futility.

Smith-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Geno-Rakell
DOC-Hayes-Puustinen
???-???-???

Maninthebox87

Dec 5, 2014
PA
Since I was like 15 years old I’ve always scheduled off work or skipped school to monitor the trade deadline and the first day of free agency because I know I’d get nothing accomplished with constantly refreshing hfboards and twitter while having NHL network on tv. As a man in my mid late to late 30s I can say I feel the way you do when you know your dogs getting up there in age. Your dog was the goodest boy but now he’s starting to slow down and have accidents in the house. You still love him but know it’s almost time. I want the pens to do well and will still watch all the games but I feel I might have had unrealistic expectations for an offseason after missing the playoffs two years in a row.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Crosby, Malkin and Letang aren't idiots.

They all know that if they want to compete for one more cup, that their best chance to do so would be elsewhere.

They obviously are willing to give up that better chance to stay together, to stay in Pittsburgh, and to end their careers here.

Have they given up on another Cup?

No.

But realistically the chances are small and no move made will change that.

So we have what we see. A soft rebuild. Sort of like treading water.

And we owe it to them.

Still wouldn’t be shocked if they ask out tbh.

Dubas is nuking this team.

Since I was like 15 years old I’ve always scheduled off work or skipped school to monitor the trade deadline and the first day of free agency because I know I’d get nothing accomplished with constantly refreshing hfboards and twitter while having NHL network on tv. As a man in my mid late to late 30s I can say I feel the way you do when you know your dogs getting up there in age. Your dog was the goodest boy but now he’s starting to slow down and have accidents in the house. You still love him but know it’s almost time. I want the pens to do well and will still watch all the games but I feel I might have had unrealistic expectations for an offseason after missing the playoffs two years in a row.

The dog is fine. Mom and dad are just taking the lazy way out and putting them down.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Still wouldn’t be shocked if they ask out tbh.

Dubas is nuking this team.

The dog is fine. Mom and dad are just taking the lazy way out and putting them down.

Dubas did literally what you were asking him to do when you said "take on Mikheyev to get a 2nd back", but since he did it with Hayes instead of Mikheyev, he's now "nuking this team".

Reactions: Dominance

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Dubas did literally what you were asking him to do when you said "take on Mikheyev to get a 2nd back", but since he did it with Hayes instead of Mikheyev, he's now "nuking this team".

Huge difference between Mikheyev and Hayes.

Also, it’s not the Hayes trade I am talking about. His comments, sporadic decision making, and lack of clear path while we get lapped by the rest of the division is what I mean.

Reactions: Maninthebox87

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
That's what I'm looking for also. Laine only two years, Stammer could be a 2 year deal, high AAV. I believe Marner is signed for two years - I don't even care about an extension. (I dont want Laine btw but w/e go for it). Two more years and I'm good. Just do something. I don't need Rakell to put up 40 empty points on a 10th place Eastern conference team. That's basically what we are. I know everyone thinks this is a bottom 5 team but until the 87'/71/58 actually bottom out, I'm convinced we never will be with them.
The PP isn't going to magically fix itself, even with a new coach. They need a shooter there. Any RHS trigger man in the mold of Ovie, Stamkos etc. It's crazy that it could actually be Stammer, but I'd take a 2nd rate version like Laine. Reinhart is the dream but no long term UFA deals means thats not happening. Anyone think Boeser is still available?

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

mrd1166

Jun 19, 2024
Pittsburgh
The only way it's "bipolar" is because people don't actually know what rebuilds look like, because it's been 23 years since the Penguins last started a rebuild.

The Sharks have had one of the more sell-offs in recent memory and they're still only averaging about 2 significant players sold off per year:

-Burns trade: July 2022
-Meier trade: February 2023
-Karlsson trade: August 2023
-Hertl trade: March 2024

Granted they don't have a ton more worth trading, but they still have Couture and Ferraro as notable pieces yet to sell off.
The sharks know what a rebuild is all about ! Vs the pens so called rebuild

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019
Rust valley restoration!!!

Smith hates it here lol he’s poison in a locker room just like jarry

And you know this is factual how?

I'd like to see him traded for an asset but I'm not sure it's possible.

I wouldn't want him at his current cost.

mrd1166

Jun 19, 2024
Pittsburgh

He’s openly said he wants to go back out west FACT

I don’t care get a bag of old pucks an jock strap an a 2030 7th round pick

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
People are really looking past the fact Hayes essentially has been told to get bent two consecutive years by two teams with little playoff aspiration.
Yeah I think they’re counting on him being able to be babysat by Quinn & Sullivan for 2 years.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
The sharks know what a rebuild is all about ! Vs the pens so called rebuild
The Sharks have already been bad for longer than the Pens were between Jagr and Crosby.

The Sharks have already been bad for longer than the Pens were between Jagr and Crosby.

And there's no end in sight.

mrd1166

Jun 19, 2024
Pittsburgh
The Penguins are a rebuilding team, the sooner fans accept that, the easier it will be to come to terms with it.
If they we’re rebuilding why sign a 10 million dollar defender rebuild last year an not have less than 2 players under 25 years old a rebuild consist of 2-3 veterans max not 16-20 lol the sharks are in a rebuild been duping vets to acquire draft picks hens the 30+ picks they have over this draft an the next 2 that’s a rebuild not picking up a 4th line center who’s no better than Carter an has the Same 3 million dollars cap hit you could of easily signed benstrom as a 4 th line center look what happened to the Nelander trade the kid actually got a chance to play made us look. Stupid good rebuilding. #firesullivan

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
One thing I really hope the Pens do is get a guy who isn't O'Connor to play with Sid. Just for watchability reasons, I don't wanna see Sid have to lug around bottom six players at this point for 82 games. They don't have to be great.. just hopefully better than O'Connor or Smith.

If they we’re rebuilding why sign a 10 million dollar defender rebuild last year an not have less than 2 players under 25 years old a rebuild consist of 2-3 veterans max not 16-20 lol the sharks are in a rebuild been duping vets to acquire draft picks hens the 30+ picks they have over this draft an the next 2 that’s a rebuild not picking up a 4th line center who’s no better than Carter an has the Same 3 million dollars cap hit you could of easily signed benstrom as a 4 th line center look what happened to the Nelander trade the kid actually got a chance to play made us look. Stupid good rebuilding. #firesullivan
If you're old enough to get a tattoo you're old enough to use periods.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad