Salary Cap: Garbage Day collection comes early!

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Smith didn't want to be here and seemingly half-assed it in response.

I am not above being petty enough for keeping him just to give him the middle finger in response.
1st world problems, being rich and being upset what team you play for and half assing it. So many people dream of playing in the NHL but you got these little bitches upset that they have to play for so and so team. YOU'RE PLAYING IN THE NHL!!!

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Not all but some…see the Caps..2 players out at minimum per season
Yes because the Caps are the gold standard, right?

Who gives a shit what they do? Seriously! They've been OUR bitch. You need to remember that. Either that or go to their board!

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
1st world problems, being rich and being upset what team you play for and half assing it. So many people dream of playing in the NHL but you got these little bitches upset that they have to play for so and so team. YOU'RE PLAYING IN THE NHL!!!
ever hear the term FU money? I'm surprised more athletes with guaranteed contracts don't sabotage their own careers.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
LOL even though Marino gets sh1t on here constantly, he still fetched 2 2nds. So he has/had higher trade value than all but 4-5 guys on this roster currently.

Hextall's big gambit was Marino and Matheson for Petry. What a fail.

maybe if our coach gave Ty Smith a single stretch we would’ve seen more value there.

Interested to see if he gets a chance in. Carolina.

Reactions: mrd1166

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Anything less than a second round pick, then screw him.

Reactions: 66-30-33

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Watch Matheson get traded for a 1st later too.

What a brilliant man.

Ryan Poehling should’ve been a future bottom sixer here that could be providing what Eller and Hayes will for 1-2 mil over this year and the next two.

Great move by Dubas not qualifying him and tying us to Acciari and Eller.

We need to get younger and faster tho.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
Laine (2x8.7) or Stamkos (say 3x8) would still fit Dubas's criteria of adding to the team without committing to long term deals. Go get it done. There's room to do it if Smith goes out.

Rakell Sid Rust
Bunting Geno Laine/Stammer
DOC Hayes Puustinen
Poulin Eller Acciari
Pulji Gruden

Petts Karlsson
POJ (1.5m) Letang
Graves St Ivany
Ludivg

Jarry
Ned

I could live with this
That's what I'm looking for also. Laine only two years, Stammer could be a 2 year deal, high AAV. I believe Marner is signed for two years - I don't even care about an extension. (I dont want Laine btw but w/e go for it). Two more years and I'm good. Just do something. I don't need Rakell to put up 40 empty points on a 10th place Eastern conference team. That's basically what we are. I know everyone thinks this is a bottom 5 team but until the 87'/71/58 actually bottom out, I'm convinced we never will be with them.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I mean it is but apparently everyone on this board disagrees with me. Maybe I’m referring to successful rebuilding.

You rebuild successfully by both getting high picks and hitting on lesser picks to build up a supporting cast. Look at the Penguins rebuild in the early 2000s, it wasn't just "draft Fleury, Malkin, Crosby and Staal". Go ask Buffalo how their rebuild has gone with their inability to build up a supporting cast.

The Penguins rebuild started with the Jagr trade in 2001, and the Penguins didn't really "tear down" the team until 2003. Before that tear down, the Penguins drafted all of Scuderi (5th rounder in 1998), Malone (4th rounder in 1999), Orpik (1st rounder in 2000), Ouellet (4th rounder in 2000), Armstrong (1st rounder in 2001), Whitney (5th overall in 2002), Christensen (3rd rounder in 2002) and Talbot (8th rounder in 2002) that had a significant impact (either direct or indirect) on the Penguins rebounding as a team.

The Penguins are in the stage of "draft the next Orpiks, Malones and Armstrongs" right now. They're building up the supporting pieces of the prospect pool now so that when they truly bottom out (probably in the 2027 timeframe), the top guys they'll be drafting once they suck won't be thrown into a completely helpless situation.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
I mean it is but apparently everyone on this board disagrees with me. Maybe I’m referring to successful rebuilding.
That's just tanking, which is a good idea a lot of the time, but a lot of the time it's also going to get you stuck in the basement and make you waste prime years of your picks like Buffalo, who has rebuilt 3 times without making the playoffs once, or Detroit and Ottawa.

Reactions: mrd1166

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
That's just tanking, which is a good idea a lot of the time, but a lot of the time it's also going to get you stuck in the basement and make you waste prime years of your picks like Buffalo, who has rebuilt 3 times without making the playoffs once, or Detroit and Ottawa.

Another example: go look at the Penguins in Lemieux’s first 6 years in the NHL if you think just getting stars out of high picks is enough to build a good team.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
You rebuild successfully by both getting high picks and hitting on lesser picks to build up a supporting cast. Look at the Penguins rebuild in the early 2000s, it wasn't just "draft Fleury, Malkin, Crosby and Staal". Go ask Buffalo how their rebuild has gone with their inability to build up a supporting cast.

The Penguins rebuild started with the Jagr trade in 2001, and the Penguins didn't really "tear down" the team until 2003. Before that tear down, the Penguins drafted all of Scuderi (5th rounder in 1998), Malone (4th rounder in 1999), Orpik (1st rounder in 2000), Ouellet (4th rounder in 2000), Armstrong (1st rounder in 2001), Whitney (5th overall in 2002), Christensen (3rd rounder in 2002) and Talbot (8th rounder in 2002) that had a significant impact (either direct or indirect) on the Penguins rebounding as a team.

The Penguins are in the stage of "draft the next Orpiks, Malones and Armstrongs" right now. They're building up the supporting pieces of the prospect pool now so that when they truly bottom out (probably in the 2027 timeframe), the top guys they'll be drafting once they suck won't be thrown into a completely helpless situation.
Pens also got lucky by being able to sign criminally underrated #1 defenseman Gonchar the year Sid was drafted.

Reactions: SEALBound

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
So..

Why would Sid sign an extension here? Subsequently, why would Letang/Karlsson not asked to be moved..?

I guess we'll see what 'other' moves we have in store but GM Sullivan is unsurprising in his roster each year. Not expecting a lot.

Reactions: Andy99

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
It's called a retool.

Guentzel was selling off a asset they were not going to be able re-sign. The Pens re-signing Crosby, Malkin and Letang, plus adding a 10.0 Karlsson means they are not rebuilding, they're retooling.

Adding Hayes with a 2nd attached is retooling while adding draft capital. But that also is not rebuilding.

Rebuilding is selling off all top expensive contracts worth draft/prospect capital. Teams still need to meet the cap floor and will still carry heavy contracts.

Reactions: Nakawick

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
  • Haha
Reactions: molon labe
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad