Salary Cap: Garbage Day collection comes early!

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrd1166

Jun 19, 2024
Pittsburgh
That's not rebuilding. You're confusing rebuilding with the Oilers history.

Rebuilding is using youth, a mix of vets, getting as many picks as you can and leveraging cap space to hoard picks and prospects as sweeteners.
This guy knows what a definition of a hockey rebuild looks like lol I guess the pens are into rebuilding old bones
This team trading a 2nd for Jeannot would have been completely moronic.

Yes which is exactly what the Hayes trade was.

They just need to continue making those kind of moves and do a proper rebuild. What young players are in the lineup lmao you got 1 player under 25
This team trading a 2nd for Jeannot would have been completely moronic.

Yes which is exactly what the Hayes trade was.

They just need to continue making those kind of moves and do a proper rebuild.
We don’t need any more 30 year old players

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
I don’t see any reason to trade Smith.

Acciari seems like the odd man out.
Acciari is a Kindergarten Kyle crony. Dubas has traded for him when he was in Toronto and immediately signed him as a Pens GM.

One thing we know of Dubas, he likes "his guys" and isn't shy to bring them over.

Funny thing is Acciari is a Sullivan type too. But holy f***, to get him then Nieto and Hinostroza was just so many levels of what the f***.

Reactions: Jacob

mrd1166

Jun 19, 2024
Pittsburgh
This guy knows what a definition of a hockey rebuild looks like lol I guess the pens are into rebuilding old bones

We don’t need any more 30 year old players
Rust valley restoration!!!

Acciari is a Kindergarten Kyle crony. Dubas has traded for him when he was in Toronto and immediately signed him as a Pens GM.

One thing we know of Dubas, he likes "his guys" and isn't shy to bring them over.
Smith hates it here lol he’s poison in a locker room just like jarry

Reactions: Coastal Kev

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002

Maybe on the wing that’ll free him to be a little more rambunctious on the forecheck, because he was mostly rather gentle last year.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

Rebuilding is using youth, a mix of vets, getting as many picks as you can and leveraging cap space to hoard picks and prospects as sweeteners.
Yeah we don’t want to go down Edmonton’s loser mentality rebuild. They sucked forever then their good players wanted to leave because they didn’t have a winning culture.

They finally pivoted once they got McDavid but even then it was a few years after getting him until they started building a team properly.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

mrd1166

Jun 19, 2024
Pittsburgh

Funny thing is Acciari is a Sullivan type too. But holy f***, to get him then Nieto and Hinostroza was just so many levels of what the f***.
I think he’s been playing too much nhl 2024 lol idk what kind of meds he’s on !!!

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
To me the roster is or should be

O’Connor - Crosby - Rust
Bunting - Malkin - Rakell
Smith - Hayes - Puustinen
XXXX - Eller - XXXX
XXXX

3 of Poulin, Pono, Puljujarvi and Acciari fill those final forward spots.

mrd1166

Jun 19, 2024
Pittsburgh
I've been saying that for a couple years now.
If your rebuilding lol you dump all your vets for picks an you don’t bring in a 10 million dollar defenseman they’re still trying to win with the veteran formula I could not tell you the last time the oldest team in the nhl ever won a cup I think #NEVER

O’Connor - Crosby - Rust
XXXX - Eller - XXXX
XXXX

Will win 30 game’s with that kinda roster lol pens should just bring back Carter an jags

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
As it stand right now the roster is, imo

Smith-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
O'Connor-Hayes-Puustinen
Ponomarev-Eller-Acciari
Puljujarvi

Pettersson-Karlsson
PoJ-Letang
Graves-St. Ivany

Jarry
Ned

That's about 5.5 mill in cap space.

Reactions: Jacob

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

O’Connor - Crosby - Rust
XXXX - Eller - XXXX
XXXX

Rust, Rakell, Smith, Hayes, Eller, Jarry and Acciari should all be off of the roster.........and Graves. Not sure how much money that would be, but they could sub young guys and a couple FA's and would be a much, much better team.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Bringing my post in from the other thread in here.

I'm think some Penguins fans have a really warped view of what a "rebuild" looks like for actual NHL teams, just because the Penguins haven't done one in so long. The Penguins rebuild that made them the team they've been with Crosby/Malkin wasn't done overnight, and the moves made pre-dating the Crosby and Malkin picks were absolutely essential in the team turning into the dynasty it was.

Just pulling up the Penguins trade history starting with the Jagr trade, here's when some of the more rebuilding trades went down with more "major" Penguins players of that era:

-July 2001: Jagr trade
-March 2002: Kasparaitis trade
-February 2003: Ference trade
-February 2003: Kovalev trade
-March 2003: Hrdina trade
-August 2003: Hedberg trade
-November 2003: Straka trade

It wasn't anything immediate, and it didn't really fully ramp up until the 2002-2003 season (that 2003 deadline was wild with trades from the Penguins). But it took all of those moves plus the picks/prospects used in those drafts PLUS the Crosby, Malkin, Fleury and Staal additions for this team to take the next step. The real "nuking" of this roster isn't going to take place for another 2 or 3 years.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
If this is a rebuild, I’m absolutely expecting Petts and Rust to be traded and any other vet we can get a good prospect or high pick for…anything else would be hypocritical

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California
I don’t see any reason to trade Smith. Him, Hayes and Puustinen is the 3rd line.

Acciari seems like the odd man out. Well, he should be, but will probably be glued to the 4th line because he’s a team guy.
Dubas and Sullivan love Acciari. Smith will be the odd man out, but when that will happen only Dubas knows.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
If this is a rebuild, I’m absolutely expecting Petts and Rust to be traded and any other vet we can get a good prospect or high pick for…anything else would be hypocritical
It's not that kind of rebuild.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
If your rebuilding lol you dump all your vets for picks an you don’t bring in a 10 million dollar defenseman they’re still trying to win with the veteran formula I could not tell you the last time the oldest team in the nhl ever won a cup I think #NEVER

Will win 30 game’s with that kinda roster lol pens should just bring back Carter an jags
I’d say it’s a slight improvement on the forward group that finished the year (Hayes > Carter, no Harkins) but wins and losses mostly will hinge on what they can do to fix the PP.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
It's not that kind of rebuild.
So it’s a shitty rebuild? Just clarifying…I don’t think just getting a second for Hayes, qualifies as a rebuild fwiw

Caps have been moving out players for picks and younger player the last couple
Seasons…exactly what the Pens should be doing

• Haha

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
In the Penguins 2001-2006 rebuild, Kovalev and Straka weren't traded until 2-3 years into the rebuild.

Teams don't nuke their roster the instant they start a rebuild.

Not all but some…see the Caps..2 players out at minimum per season

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I don’t see any reason to trade Smith. Him, Hayes and Puustinen is the 3rd line.

Acciari seems like the odd man out. Well, he should be, but will probably be glued to the 4th line because he’s a team guy.

If they moved Acciari and Jarry I would consider this a B grade week in June.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Yeah we don’t want to go down Edmonton’s loser mentality rebuild. They sucked forever then their good players wanted to leave because they didn’t have a winning culture.

They finally pivoted once they got McDavid but even then it was a few years after getting him until they started building a team properly.

Yes, I don't think outright tanking works. The issue is these top guys just get habituated to losing with each other. The Penguins IMO got lucky with the lockout and maybe even lucky that Malkin dominated in Magnitogorsk for an extra year in '05-'06. Let these guys come to the NHL ready to win.

Now do I think we'll end up with multiple top 5 picks in the next 5-6 years? Yes.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Laine (2x8.7) or Stamkos (say 3x8) would still fit Dubas's criteria of adding to the team without committing to long term deals. Go get it done. There's room to do it if Smith goes out.

Rakell Sid Rust
Bunting Geno Laine/Stammer
DOC Hayes Puustinen
Poulin Eller Acciari
Pulji Gruden

Petts Karlsson
POJ (1.5m) Letang
Graves St Ivany
Ludivg

Jarry
Ned

I could live with this