Games you are currently playing: ROUND SIX

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I absolutely loved Golf Story. One of my favorite games I played in recent years. I went to Poland last summer and took my Switch with Celeste, Super Mario Oddyssey, Golf Story, and Hollow Knight. I pretty much spent all my free time on my Switch just playing Golf Story. I tried the others but I kept wanting more and more Golf Story.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
I absolutely loved Golf Story. One of my favorite games I played in recent years. I went to Poland last summer and took my Switch with Celeste, Super Mario Oddyssey, Golf Story, and Hollow Knight. I pretty much spent all my free time on my Switch just playing Golf Story. I tried the others but I kept wanting more and more Golf Story.

Yeah I am about 6-7 hours in and loving it, it's very cutesy but can be challenging as well

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016
Going through my backlog,

Stardew Valley - so addictive and relaxing to play. Really enjoying not being forced to do things in a linear fashion and just taking my time doing whatever I like. The game feels therapeutic in how laid back everything is. But my god it seems like a time sink, I could see myself dumping hundreds of hours into it.

Alien Isolation - only put in 30 mins or so but it's really enjoyable so far. I like that the game doesn't make things too easy for you and you can easily get lost looking for the next objective, seems like a throwback to games before they held your hand too much and gave you an achievement for starting the game.

Cuphead - love the art style and the controls are tight, but the game ultimately feels like it always comes down to memorization. Beating most bosses just requires attempting them enough to memorize their move set and how to react. I'm not really a fan of the plane levels either, they don't do much for me. It's a game I can play in small bursts and not play that much in one time.

Dead Space 2 - I played most of the first one and the 2nd and 3rd ones were available for free. It's a good RE4 knockoff thriller with a limited user interface. Only played through the first level but I've heard it gets more action-based than horror compared to the first one.

Jovavic

Concept of a Plan
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Finally got around to starting Assassin's Creed Origins and it's pretty great so far, looking forward to more, tying up some loose ends in the first area before venturing into the rest of the map. For those that have played both this and Odyssey, how are they different and similar?

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I started playing Mutant Year Zero, the combat is pretty much exactly like XCOM. It's more of an RPG though so you can explore around the world and set up ambushes from any angle you want. You can also pick off single targets who stray too far from their group if you have silenced weapons. I'm kind of surprised by the production quality too, the graphics are great and the voice acting is awesome so far.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Got codes for the Granblue Versus and Code Vein betas this weekend. Did not get a code for the Nioh 2 alpha :(.

Not sure why everybody decided to hold a beta on the same weekend.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Started Fallout 4 yesterday.

I don't see the hype behind this game, maybe it's because I've never played any of the Fallout games.

Played for about 3 hours last night and it's like an un-fun version of Borderlands. (And Borderlands and Borderlands 2 are two of my favorite games).

- The combat is pretty terrible.
- I'm not a fan of all the 'green' on the HUD.
- The dog just wanders off whenever he wants.
- The VATS system seems pointless and slows down combat.

If I'm gonna play an open world RPG, I'd rather just play Witcher 3.

*End rant

Help me decide what to play next:

1) FFXII Zodiac Age - PS4
2) Octopath Traveler - Switch
3) Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - Switch
4) Resident Evil 4 - X360
5) Dragon Quest Builders - PS4

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Started Fallout 4 yesterday.

I don't see the hype behind this game, maybe it's because I've never played any of the Fallout games.

Played for about 3 hours last night and it's like an un-fun version of Borderlands. (And Borderlands and Borderlands 2 are two of my favorite games).

Fallout and Borderlands are pretty different. Borderlands emphasizes combat over exploration, questing and story and is more shooter than RPG. Fallout emphasizes exploration, questing and story over combat and is more RPG than shooter. "Fun" in the two series is usually two different things. In Borderlands, fun is picking up awesome loot and using it to explode enemies like pinatas and acquire more loot. In Fallout, fun is killing or stealing from an NPC simply because you can and just setting off in a direction and seeing what you discover along the way. If you could blend the combat of Borderlands with the open world of Fallout, you'd possibly have the perfect game, but it seems that that's too much to ask because studios seem to be really good at one aspect or the other but not both. Anyways, the point is that, if you hold one series up to the other, it'll be harder to appreciate what makes it good because you're focusing too much on what it's missing.

- The VATS system seems pointless and slows down combat.

That's the point. Those who wish to slow down the combat may use it to do so. It was primarily implemented to appease fans of the first two Fallout games, which had turn-based combat. It kind of gives pseudo-turn-based combat to those who prefer it or even those who aren't that good at shooters. It's also just handy for pausing combat so that you can think. Obviously, if you're looking for non-stop Borderlands-like action, instead, it's not going to be for you and you can pretty much play the game without ever using it.

Reactions: mmalady and Jovavic

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Just finished Diablo + Hellfire Expansion for the first time since I was a child. If that game was ever re-done, it'd be so freaking good. There are a lot of tedious tasks in the game, but overall it was a great play and I enjoyed the nostalgia. There were certain parts that were much easier than I remembered, while other things were a bit harder and more frustrating. It was my first time playing the Hellfire expansion, and it really wasn't that great but did provide an alternate story which added some much needed length to the game.

Probably going to move on to a newer game like Trover Saves the Universe next.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
How did you like Metro?
It's good. First half I found alright but felt like something I've played plenty of times before, 2nd half really ramped up especially with the atmosphere and story. I got the bad ending though which sucked but I found it still made a lot of sense in the context of the game.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Curious, for Metro, to get the good ending, is it as specific as Last Light? You have to do so much at specific times and places to get the good ending?

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Curious, for Metro, to get the good ending, is it as specific as Last Light? You have to do so much at specific times and places to get the good ending?
Honestly I don't know. Just don't kill 'everyone'. There's parts where your group will say something like "try not to kill these people, they're only kids afterall", and you should be doing that section with stealth. Sometimes enemies will also surrender and hold their gun up, and you can just knock them out instead of killing them. A couple times I triggered fingered them, and one section I got spotted so I just killed everyone. I didn't feel like doing it over again. It's not that specific just don't be killing everyone especially if your wife or someone else says to avoid it.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Honestly I don't know. Just don't kill 'everyone'. There's parts where your group will say something like "try not to kill these people, they're only kids afterall", and you should be doing that section with stealth. Sometimes enemies will also surrender and hold their gun up, and you can just knock them out instead of killing them. A couple times I triggered fingered them, and one section I got spotted so I just killed everyone. I didn't feel like doing it over again. It's not that specific just don't be killing everyone especially if your wife or someone else says to avoid it.

If you played Last Light, this what you had to do to get the good ending:

How to Get the Good Ending in "Metro Last Light"

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
If you played Last Light, this what you had to do to get the good ending:

How to Get the Good Ending in "Metro Last Light"
Yea never beat it but that's crazy.

Just read up about Exodus, and it's basically what I said just don't be a gunblazing maniac, especially when your wife/comrades give you the hint to go in with stealth. Also holstering your weapon when talking to 3rd party people is good, and sometimes you'll get asked to retrieve valuable personal belongings for people on missions which you should do. Seems like they toned it down from LL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad