Games you are currently playing - Part 7

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
Platinumed Cyberpunk and now working on Phantom Liberty. What an amazing game now that it’s fixed, Night City is definitely one of my favorite game worlds in recent memory

Also, Baldurs Gate III physical copy showed up today and it’s so pretty that I want to immediately start playing but it’s going to be on hold until I finish a couple of other games on my back log

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Trying to get into Ghost of Tsushima and i just cant. Right off the bat it seems like another generic "RPG" by Sony Industries. Maybe its not the best time to try and get into this game because i just got done with playing Elden Ring and have been spoiled by a genuine masterpiece of a game.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Got a PS5 and decided to jump into Elden Ring and Ghost of Tsushima. Got the latter after I decided PSN plus extra is a fairly solid deal with all those games I can download and play in the year I paid for a subscription. If I just play, say, three AAA games, it paid for itself.

Got my start on Ghost after needing a break from Elden Ring. The presentation in both games is outstanding but the combat in the latter feels a little...I don't know samey? I know from watching a review that you unlock new combat styles and techniques over time but the initial combat experience is just jump out of the way of big weapons to counter or stance break someone with heavy attacks or parry for a counter kill. Feels like the same combat experience every time.

Elden Ring just kicks my ass constantly.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Plus Extra and Game Pass are great for about a year when you first get the systems but after you play the games you want and "rent" a few you're interested in, it's not worth it imo. It should pay for itself within a few months, depending on how quickly you play.

EA Play is a good deal, I got it for a month recently and played through both Dead Space Remake and Jedi Survivor for 6 dollars total.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Struggling to stay interested in Horizon Zero Dawn. I’m probably 1/5th into the game. Wish I could lock on to enemies and the whole bit with robots designed like wildlife is a bit distracting. For some reason I also thought climbing would be more like BOTW but instead it’s very limited.

Anything I should keep in mind going forward with this one? A remaster would’ve been nice as well.

Otherwise I’ll just start Spider-Man 2, I beat the first one last week and liked it a lot.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Got a PS5 and decided to jump into Elden Ring and Ghost of Tsushima. Got the latter after I decided PSN plus extra is a fairly solid deal with all those games I can download and play in the year I paid for a subscription. If I just play, say, three AAA games, it paid for itself.

Got my start on Ghost after needing a break from Elden Ring. The presentation in both games is outstanding but the combat in the latter feels a little...I don't know samey? I know from watching a review that you unlock new combat styles and techniques over time but the initial combat experience is just jump out of the way of big weapons to counter or stance break someone with heavy attacks or parry for a counter kill. Feels like the same combat experience every time.

Right there with ya. Just got a PlayStation for Father’s Day and paid the $200 for PS+. It’ll be worth it for the first year for sure but beyond that I’m not sure I’ll keep it.

Played a few hours of GoT and liked it enough. A little wary of all these open world games but it seemed pretty fun so far. I’ll get back to that one after some other games I’m sure.

Last of Us 1 & 2 just blew me away so it’s hard to compare all these games to that series

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Struggling to stay interested in Horizon Zero Dawn. I’m probably 1/5th into the game. Wish I could lock on to enemies and the whole bit with robots designed like wildlife is a bit distracting. For some reason I also thought climbing would be more like BOTW but instead it’s very limited.

Anything I should keep in mind going forward with this one? A remaster would’ve been nice as well.

Otherwise I’ll just start Spider-Man 2, I beat the first one last week and liked it a lot.
I think you should drop Horizon. If you don't like the gameplay loop now, you won't like it 12 hours later. It won't drastically change because you got better weapons and are better at targeting weaknesses.

I played it on PS4 but i think it's a game that really benefits by being played on PC with a mouse and keyboard. The gameplay suffers on a controller.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I think you should drop Horizon. If you don't like the gameplay loop now, you won't like it 12 hours later. It won't drastically change because you got better weapons and are better at targeting weaknesses.

I played it on PS4 but i think it's a game that really benefits by being played on PC with a mouse and keyboard. The gameplay suffers on a controller.
Interesting. I’ll drop it for now and finish the other games. Maybe I’ll come back to it later when I’ve played everything else.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

Anything I should keep in mind going forward with this one?
There's a skill that allows you to slow down time while you're aiming. It's not a target lock, but it makes it easier to hit enemies, especially different parts of them. I avoided it for much of the game, since I generally don't like using slow motion abilities, until I got frustrated with the combat and caved. I then realized how useful it was, to the point that it felt like the devs expect us get the skill and use it.

Also, there's a skill to string two arrows at once, and another to string three. With those and the slow-mo aiming, enemies (especially tough ones) become significantly easier to take down, since you can string three arrows, slow down time and then reliably hit their weak spots. Before you drop the game, you might care to get those skills and see if they improve your experience like they did mine.

I, too, didn't much care for the robot wildlife early on, but I got used to it and eventually came to appreciate it. It's unique and makes the creatures a bit awesome to behold, more so than if the dinos, dragons and whatnot were flesh and bone, which we've seen in games countless times.

I tried to warn you that the climbing was very limited. :laugh:

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Isn't there a remaster for Horizon coming? I don't get remastering a last gen game that came out in the middle of the cycle, seems like a waste of resources.

If you want a game with BOTW climbing, give Fenix a shot, it's incredibly fun (if you have a passing knowledge of Greek mythology) and it does some gameplay mechanics better than BOTW.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014

As much as I love the environment and aesthetic of Ghost, this is definitely something that makes it a bit hard at times.

The combat definitely does get stale at times. Once you acquire more weapons and fighting styles + abilities you can really string together some great sequences and you have a ton of variability in how you want to take on encounters. But sometimes it feels like you really have to go out of your way to make combat encounters varied. The greatest appeal is the storyline and characters, I think.

Reactions: HanSolo

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Isn't there a remaster for Horizon coming? I don't get remastering a last gen game that came out in the middle of the cycle, seems like a waste of resources.

If you want a game with BOTW climbing, give Fenix a shot, it's incredibly fun (if you have a passing knowledge of Greek mythology) and it does some gameplay mechanics better than BOTW.
It’s been cool for me with Spider-Man and TLOU. It makes it feel like I’m playing a new game instead of seeing some relatively dated graphics from 7 years ago. Personally it takes me out of the game a little bit if the graphics aren’t updated.

I probably wouldn’t have played Witcher 3 at all if they didn’t remaster it.

Reactions: Jovavic

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Can't say, don't want Gaben to ban me...

1723814785045.png

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I've been pretty much exclusively playing Yakuza Like a Dragon for the past month or so, already 60 hours in. I saw Core Keeper had a free weekend and a buddy of mine asked if I wanted to play so I hopped on. It's a pretty fun Stardew Valley type game except there's a lot more action in it. It has some neat quality of life things to it too. I decided to grab it while on sale because it's apparently coming out of early access soon and it's on sale.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I'm doing a runthrough of all the Souls games plus Bloodborne, Sekiro, and finishing off with Elden Ring. Finished Demon's Souls and Dark Souls over the past couple of weeks.

Demon's Souls, even the remade version, hasn't aged super well imo. The remake LOOKS amazing. But you're working against the gameplay systems at all times, with some brief respite with easy boss fights. Almost all of them have some kind of gimmick (deliberate), but after 15 years of FromSoft releases, they are more interesting to view from the lens of seeing how they led to other better boss fights in later games. I'm glad I played it for that reason if nothing else.

Dark Souls on the other hand, except for Lost Izalith, has aged extremely well. I do think it peaks halfway through the game (Anor Londo), but even after that I think most of the open paths are really well designed and finished off with a very memorable boss fight. The DLC is also great.

On to Dark Souls II.

Reactions: PeteWorrell

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
Just got the platinum trophy for Cyberpunk and Phantom Liberty and have now moved onto Final Fantasy 16 that has been sitting on my backlog started but unfinished for nearly a year. Taking a bit to get my feet wet but I’m enjoying the hell out of it so far, possibly more than Rebirth but we will see. I love the dark tone of the game and the frantic combat even though it can verge on button mashy

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
The fighting gets even better once you get more summons and unlock their moves, mixing and matching to get the right fit. It is a bit button mashy but I remember quite a few really good boss battles that I barely survived and probably wouldn't have if I didn't pick the right moves for my play style. I haven't bothered with the DLCs, did you get them?

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
The fighting gets even better once you get more summons and unlock their moves, mixing and matching to get the right fit. It is a bit button mashy but I remember quite a few really good boss battles that I barely survived and probably wouldn't have if I didn't pick the right moves for my play style. I haven't bothered with the DLCs, did you get them?
Yeah I’ve noticed that as well, cycling between the three eikons that I have during battle to chain combos together has been incredible fun.
I truly think the game is very underrated so far. As for the DLCs, I’ll definitely be getting to them at some point

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I'll disagree that PS+ isn't worth it after a year.

I've had it for 3 years and am still getting my money's worth. In the last year alone, I've played NHL 24, Tunic, Animal Well, FC 24, Outer Wilds, Frost Punk, Disco Elysium, Alan Wake, one of the CoD.

Started and quit for whatever reason Prey, Undertale, Sifu, Death Stranding, Witcher 3, GTA 3, and Humanity.

I've downloaded another probably 5-10 games for my nephew to try. Never know what he's going to like.

That's like 25 games. Even if some of them are cheaper games, that's still easily worth the $150/year or whatever it is. If I had more time, I still have Cult of the Lamb, Remnant 2, Dredge, Doom Eternal, Rollerdome, Dave the Diver, and probably another 10-20 games that I'd check out. They are constantly adding enough games that I'm never able to get caught up even if I only played the games on PS+.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Spider-Man 2 has been absolutely NUTS so far. I think I’m about 80% done with the story. This is the definition of a AAA game to me. Minus the non-Spider-Man missions and having to beat bosses 3 times to finally beat them.

VENOM!!!! Gtfo. 10 year old me would’ve loved this. He never looked better in a show, game, or movie. I love that they made Harry become Venom too. Perfectly works with the story.

Reactions: robertmac43

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
There's a game named VLADiK BRUTAL that people are calling the "Russian Half Life." Any time I see anything compared to Half Life, I immediately get interested.

For only $12, this feels like an absolute steal. It is very clearly inspired by Half Life. The gunplay is a little janky but I'm really enjoying my time in it so far. It definitely feels more of a horror game than Half Life ever did though.

I loved the beginning which basically has the same story as Half Life when you're in a huge room with a machine for a science experiment and one of the scientists say something along the lines of "Have you ever played Half Life? I'm worried that we might mess up and introduce an alien world like in that game." Then the other scientists responds with, "No, that won't happen, those scientists were idiots! We're smart!" Sure enough, same exact thing happens while you start fighting aliens/zombies.

Reactions: Osprey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad