Post-Game Talk: Game V: Pens win vs Habs

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
It’s that he’s a plug and he’s talking about a HOFer lol…as Pancakes said, could you imagine him saying the same thing about Sid? Never…here’s the whole comment:

How encouraged are you by Geno’s performance through these first four games? It looks like he’s playing at a particularly high level. “I think he is. I think he looks strong. He's in great shape. I think he's trying to play the game the right way. We talked to him a lot about certain aspects of his game. We can see him making a concerted effort out there to try to play the game the right way. We've asked him to cut his skating down a little bit in the defensive zone, or his play away from the puck, and not playing so much in motion. I think he's trying to do that when the time calls for it. But I think he looks really strong, and he still has the ability to take over the game at particular points in time. I thought he had a really strong game tonight. His line played extremely well. I think he's a big part of it. He drives that line just with his ability to carry the puck, his ability to see the ice. I think he’s playing really well right now.”
...but the top line isn't scoring, so we're going to take Rakell and give him to Sid.

Reactions: Andy99

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
I don't know what's more surprising - that the first MON shot came after something like 15 minutes and Jarry actually saved it or that Geno was in for the EN and scored it like it's a video game on easy mode.

It's nice that the team is still capable of good offensive performances even with the top line being a non-factor. Some beautiful goals too especially the fifth one.

Anyone else laughed out loud when the commentators said that play along the boards was one of the Pens' great strengths? Sure, it was a good effort in this particular game but this team is generally soft as butter.

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
I don't know what's more surprising - that the first MON shot came after something like 15 minutes and Jarry actually saved it or that Geno was in for the EN and scored it like it's a video game on easy mode.

It's nice that the team is still capable of good offensive performances even with the top line being a non-factor. Some beautiful goals too especially the fifth one.

Anyone else laughed out loud when the commentators said that play along the boards was one of the Pens' great strengths? Sure, it was a good effort in this particular game but this team is generally soft as butter.
I appreciate the username! I just started book 2 and am about halfway through. Fantastic series so far.

Swapping Puus for Beau would be an easy fix.
I don’t think he’d look any better at this point. Puuljujarvi is making plays on the 3rd line, but that’s a lot different than playing against top defensive pairs.

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
On the one hand, Kaiden Guhle is an underrated defenseman, so it's not totally shocking that he did so well against Crosby's line. On the other hand, I'm still not convinced that Beauvillier is a good fit with Crosby, so that may also be a factor.

Also, it's funny that Kevin Hayes has more goals so far this season than Crosby and Malkin combined.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
On the one hand, Kaiden Guhle is an underrated defenseman, so it's not totally shocking that he did so well against Crosby's line. On the other hand, I'm still not convinced that Beauvillier is a good fit with Crosby, so that may also be a factor.

Also, it's funny that Kevin Hayes has more goals so far this season than Crosby and Malkin combined.
Probably KD most under the radar move this off season and perhaps another pick coming our way along with the 2nd we got with him when we flip him come trade deadline

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
I know it has only been two games, but I am once again asking for Rust to be traded to anywhere but here.

He is the new Sheary. Until Dubas trades him away, Sullivan will keep using him in places he does not belong.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
On one hand I actually think Sullivan has a bit of a point re: Malkin's efficiency of motion in the DZ, especially. It really could lead to his legs staying fresher. On the other hand those do strike me as some rather self-absorbed and questionably timed comments by Sullivan. You can't just say like... "yeah wow he and Eller really saved our bacon, tonight?" No... there has to be some sideways shot at Malkin's game.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
My take...
+ bottom 6 - finally contributing. That 3rd line is fierce. I hope that Pulj doesn't get scratched again. He is noticeably one of our most dynamic players out there!

+ Malkin - it looks like when he has good help, it invigorates him. That's what we're seeing here. Just need Bunting to hang more around the net, however I see the problem. If Raks is open area shot guy (aka James Neal), and Malkin is the playmaker, Bunting has to chase pucks, so he can't also be in front of the net. Something to sort out.

= Jarry - he gave up his usual late period goal, but didn't let us lose, so there is that.

- Crosby - not gelling with his linemates. Beau needs more time..maybe move him off. Hard to upgrade.

- D corp - I don't know what's wrong, but they look uncomfortable out there.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
It is in fact, truly unexpected and amazing how an aging playdriver can be more effective when you give him linemates that aren't a parking meter and three small cats in a trenchcoat.

It's funny how the board en masse has zero faith in this head coach to not immediately move away from what is working because it happens to be working for our affable Russian dork but I'm not sure why anyone would not assume that is what is going to happen. The most likely move is 67 up to L1 and some random detritus moved to his spot on L2.

The way Rakell and Malkin have been working kind of reminds me of the way Sid and Jake always worked. 71, when he is as fluid and puck-hungry as he has been, still draws attention and eyeballs which gives 67 freedom to get himself into those deceptive high-percentage shooting spots and Geno just finds him. It helps that Rak's release is looking as good as it ever has on this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad