Post-Game Talk: Game V: Pens win vs Habs

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Not sure why having a problem with Sully’s statement that they tried to improve Geno’s game by not taking those wide loops, that was one of my main complaints about coaching staff that they don’t get players to change bad habits and improve their game.
It’s that he’s a plug and he’s talking about a HOFer lol…as Pancakes said, could you imagine him saying the same thing about Sid? Never…here’s the whole comment:

How encouraged are you by Geno’s performance through these first four games? It looks like he’s playing at a particularly high level. “I think he is. I think he looks strong. He's in great shape. I think he's trying to play the game the right way. We talked to him a lot about certain aspects of his game. We can see him making a concerted effort out there to try to play the game the right way. We've asked him to cut his skating down a little bit in the defensive zone, or his play away from the puck, and not playing so much in motion. I think he's trying to do that when the time calls for it. But I think he looks really strong, and he still has the ability to take over the game at particular points in time. I thought he had a really strong game tonight. His line played extremely well. I think he's a big part of it. He drives that line just with his ability to carry the puck, his ability to see the ice. I think he’s playing really well right now.”

Last edited:
Reactions: Pancakes

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Did we all sleep on Geno? What a game from him.
lol half this board wanted to let him walk two years ago and like 60 percent of the board wanted to trade him in the off season

I hate TK on the intermission and post-game. He's new, I get it, but man he needs some polishing. Same with Army. He hasn't gotten better.

Someone they should look to - Bob Errey. He spoke well and was very knowledgeable about the game. I never agreed with letting him go especially given who the replacements are.
Yeah, letting Errey go was dumb as hell.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Ironically enough given his NHL career was the same way Army is OK as the third wheel color guy who just chimes in now and then while another primary color guy carries the play. But put him as the primary color guy and he's just not great at it.

canadianguy77

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2006
Pretty crazy that they’re still a .500 team this deep into the season.
Rak looks like a much better version of the real deal right now. He could easily have 5-6 goals already.
I don’t know about Bunting. He gets chances, but he cheats a lot for offense. But maybe that’s what opening up so much space for Geno. Then Rak is finding those soft spots and the goalie isn’t even seeing his shot he gets it off so fast.

I don’t know how many more games of Beau on L1 I can take. It’s just not working. He’s constantly within 2 or 3 feet of either Sid or Rust. He’s a great systems player, but he’s not anticipating the way Sid plays properly. He always wants to support. Sid is getting frustrated and forcing things. Coach needs to get his head out of his ass.

Reactions: Darren McCord

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
lol half this board wanted to let him walk two years ago and like 60 percent of the board wanted to trade him in the off season
Still wish that happened, today. Same goes for Rust, Letang and Rakell.
Not because of anticipated level of players, but because keeping them here makes ownership and management commit to purgatory for several seasons.

This year would be less entertaining, sure. But more progress would have been made organizationally over the course of the season when you account for net gains/losses come April.
I would like to see another Cup in my life, if possible.
Yeah, letting Errey go was dumb as hell.
That was the worst organizational decision in the last 5 years. He was like top-10 in the league among color comms.
Insightful, funny, energetic, hard-working, passionate, cohesive with partner, etc... Change for the sake of change is stupid. You have to have someone actually better at the job lined up if you're gonna do that.
It was a very clear downgrade the moment it happened.

Although I still like Getzoff way more than android Mears. If he was Mears level or worse I'd exclusively watch away broadcasts.

Ironically enough given his NHL career was the same way Army is OK as the third wheel color guy who just chimes in now and then while another primary color guy carries the play. But put him as the primary color guy and he's just not great at it.
We had a great one. We threw him away.
Hopefully people by now can tell the difference in level. Like even the Errey haters should see it.

Reactions: Pancakes

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Is it just me, or does Rust look like total dog shit? Like he's playing with a cement twig.
It's almost like it would be a good idea not to just instantly give him his spot on the top line until he finds his skating legs.

But that would require Sullivan actually ever demoting Rust. Nah, just leave Sid on an island. I'm sure he'll eventually figure it out.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Lol imagine if Sid put up three points and had a great all around game and Sullivan's post game comment was "Well we had Sid cut down on his turnovers this year and you can see the results"

The disrespect Malkin gets from Sully is absurd
Malkin was a liability in his own zone the past couple seasons, there's nothing wrong with what Sullivan said.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Either get McG in the lineup instead of Beu next game, or send him down. 1 game is 1 game. But dont have him in the pressbox extended time.

Reactions: Giskard

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
I still think beau isn’t good. He had that 2 goal game but doc gelled better with Sid and Rust.
Beau's goals were a fluky bank shot and sliding it into half a vacated net. It's good that he's going into those areas and everything, but nothing's changed in that this guy can't shoot.
Rust is definitely rusty in coming back. Get him tf off the PP, jesus.
And for as much as we blame his wingers, Sid himself hasn't been very good to start this season. One assist was a faceoff win that worked out. The other was the Letang rocket, where all he did was just leave the puck for Letang at the blue line and he took care of it from there.
He's fortunate to not only have 1 assist in 4 games.
He went shotless tonight. I'm not seeing a ton of urgency with his skating either.

It's not horrible play by any means, but it's not 1C level either, so far.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
You and @SomeDude will come around by game 25
Mate, you gotta understand. I have faith in the team, not the coach. I think this coach is why this team fails to reach any sort of potential it is capable of.

Today, the Penguins didn't win because they executed some incredible Sullivan system, by no means did they win because of that. They quite literally won because of incredible individual efforts. Namely Eller and Malkin, both put this team on their backs today and willed them to a win with a lot of others following their lead.

Sullivan is the type of bell end that likely thinks he is the reason they won, he's that much of a twat.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Sid has been costing on his reputation as a two way player for half a decade, lol.
Jokes aside, his line hasn't been the best defensively for more than a beat and one of the reasons was the duo of Jake and Rust with him and even just Rust with him isn't the ideal pairing for him at all. It's why I think maybe Bunting would level things out for him and I think DOC right now fits Malkin's line a f***ton better especially with Geno looking like his old healthy self again and Rakell doing his strong 2-way game while chipping in.

I'd like to see the line-up look like this.

Bunting, Crosby, Rust
O'Connor, Malkin, Rakell
Hayues/Beau/Lizotte, Eller, Puustinen
Hayes/Beau/Lizotte, Glass, Puljujarvi

Also, let's not take St Ivany out for Shea unless Jack is hurt, that was just monumentally stupid by an already stupid ass coach. I think Puljujarvi with Glass could be beneficial to both especially with Hayes, not quite sure how much I like the idea of Beauvillier with Eller and Puustinen, I'd almost rather see Beau dropped to the 4th line because Jesse and Glass have the size to balance that while Hayes with Eller and Puustinen could potentially produce very well while also being a solid line defensively as well.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Beau's goals were a fluky bank shot and sliding it into half a vacated net. It's good that he's going into those areas and everything, but nothing's changed in that this guy can't shoot.
Rust is definitely rusty in coming back. Get him tf off the PP, jesus.
And for as much as we blame his wingers, Sid himself hasn't been very good to start this season. One assist was a faceoff win that worked out. The other was the Letang rocket, where all he did was just leave the puck for Letang at the blue line and he took care of it from there.
He's fortunate to not only have 1 assist in 4 games.
He went shotless tonight. I'm not seeing a ton of urgency with his skating either.

It's not horrible play by any means, but it's not 1C level either, so far.
I like the idea of Beauvillier with someone like Glass on the 4th line, I think the way he comes in on the forecheck and buzzes around the net would help someone like him with creating some offense because Defensively, Glass is very sound and has been. Its his safe space with his game. I am warming up to the idea of Beau + Puljujarvi as his wingers, I want to see Hayes moved up to the 3rd line.

I personally don't give a shit about Acciari on this roster, he is what he is while the others have more to offer.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Jokes aside, his line hasn't been the best defensively for more than a beat and one of the reasons was the duo of Jake and Rust with him and even just Rust with him isn't the ideal pairing for him at all. It's why I think maybe Bunting would level things out for him and I think DOC right now fits Malkin's line a f***ton better especially with Geno looking like his old healthy self again and Rakell doing his strong 2-way game while chipping in.

I'd like to see the line-up look like this.

Bunting, Crosby, Rust
O'Connor, Malkin, Rakell
Hayues/Beau/Lizotte, Eller, Puustinen
Hayes/Beau/Lizotte, Glass, Puljujarvi

Also, let's not take St Ivany out for Shea unless Jack is hurt, that was just monumentally stupid by an already stupid ass coach. I think Puljujarvi with Glass could be beneficial to both especially with Hayes, not quite sure how much I like the idea of Beauvillier with Eller and Puustinen, I'd almost rather see Beau dropped to the 4th line because Jesse and Glass have the size to balance that while Hayes with Eller and Puustinen could potentially produce very well while also being a solid line defensively as well.
Yeah GCR was a pretty defensively atrocious line, especially at the end.

spcastlemagic

Jul 3, 2006
Lol…omg…this arrogant SOB is too much…his postgame comments were probably: “I told Malkin how he needed to be playing hockey. If I hadn’t, who knows where our team’s record would be right now.”

He’s such a dickhead. The fact Malkin is our only player willing to play the game with the slightest bit of lateral movement and creativity is why he’s our most important player right now. Sullivan is such a petty little fraud. Actually looking forward to him getting embarrassed at the Olympics.

Not sure why having a problem with Sully’s statement that they tried to improve Geno’s game by not taking those wide loops, that was one of my main complaints about coaching staff that they don’t get players to change bad habits and improve their game.
I’ll explain why - it’s because I hate him.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
I like the idea of Beauvillier with someone like Glass on the 4th line, I think the way he comes in on the forecheck and buzzes around the net would help someone like him with creating some offense because Defensively, Glass is very sound and has been. Its his safe space with his game. I am warming up to the idea of Beau + Puljujarvi as his wingers, I want to see Hayes moved up to the 3rd line.

I personally don't give a shit about Acciari on this roster, he is what he is while the others have more to offer.
Glass makes too much for how little scoring he will provide here, but that's okay because they took on that contract for picks.
Yeah he's really solid defensively. Both him and Puljujarvi can fallback on that if their offense sucks over the long haul.

I think fans are kinda overreacting to fortunate events that led to Beau's goals. But yeah the forechecking, skating and shot volume is a thing he can realistically sustain.
He just can't pick corners at all.
If his early production tails off, I'm not convinced he should be in the lineup. But he's not gonna hurt you too much either, so it's whatever.

Hayes has a few goals but is also hemorrhaging goals against. He cost us that 3rd Montreal goal today by leaving his feet unnecessarily instead of backchecking.
I'm on the fence as to whether he's worth a sweater. Right now I'd say probably yes, but that can change quick.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
It’s more about the timing. Dude just carried your team to a win.

Sully should worship the ground Sid and Geno walk. Without them he’s coaching in Coachella or Hershey.

I still think beau isn’t good. He had that 2 goal game but doc gelled better with Sid and Rust.
He scored two goals on the twelve opportunities Sid set him up for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad