Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
11 points I believe.
Yup

1729130768922.png

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Posting this here too since Zirak has no clue how threads or time work:

First full game I've watched this season. And I barely watched last season from January on.

+ battling through that 3-1 start
+ Blomqvist
+ milestones for Sid & Geno
+ MalKing straight up feeling it this season
+ 3rd line
+ 4th line looks way more competent although expensive
+ tying it up with 46s left
+ Graves with the least amount of minutes on D
+ OT PP

= Graves looks better?
= PP looks better but still isn't good given the Hall of Fame personnel

- Jarry obviously
- Karlsson
- Bunting quitting when he needs to keep the motor going
- blowing the lead in the 3rd
- JSI looked to be way out of position this game
Letang and Petts were both pretty awful too

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The thing that makes Malkin's production so far even more impressive is that I don't feel like the Bunting-Malkin-Rakell line has been clicking that much at 5v5 yet either. I think Rakell has been totally solid, but Bunting has been flat out bad and that line has some upside that it's not hitting. I don't expect Bunting to repeat what he did last year, but him at his normal level should yield a damn good line with Malkin and Rakell with how they're playing.

canadianguy77

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2006
He started off super hot last year, too. Hopefully he can keep it up to some degree. I'll be optimistic and say he looks stronger this year and I think his overall linemate situation is better.

EDIT: lol I think I was a little late on the 11 points thing
Bunting is cheating up ice for offense basically all the time but it’s opening some space for the other 2. But when they get stuck in their zone, they really get stuck. I’m sure opposing coaches will go over the tapes from these early games and adjust accordingly.

Bowski

Taking out the trash.
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
Tristan Jarry as a starting Goaltenderpretender:
d77e414c89d2a74fc9f585b79cfb9eae.gif

He probably thinks he's Brodeur, Turco, or Barrasso when it comes to handling the puck.
With his choking/loser mentality, all he handled was the series over to the Isles.

Ned/Joel are more than capable of carrying this team along for some magic playoff carpet ride.
If not/injured, trade for Matt Murray, his dirt cheap stock is better than TJ's overpaid ass at this point.

Reactions: ETA and Lustaf

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
That game may have been the perfect summation of what you get with Erik Karlsson. My man looked like a particularly gnarly three-coiler a large dog would leave in his neighbors' yard for 99.998% of the game and then he closes it out by making a pass like, 4 defenseman in the world could even think of making.
Yup.

He's good in his own way, but I don't see the fit here, especially with Sully. I would trade him if possible.

spcastlemagic

Jul 3, 2006
That game may have been the perfect summation of what you get with Erik Karlsson. My man looked like a particularly gnarly three-coiler a large dog would leave in his neighbors' yard for 99.998% of the game and then he closes it out by making a pass like, 4 defenseman in the world could even think of making.

I’ve always had a soft for players like this that drive you crazy and make you angry aaaaand they just won the game

LiffLaff

Crazy? Me?
Feb 22, 2010
Vardal
+ Geno, they guy is just such a machine when he's invested, it's been a treat watching him get to 500.

+ Sid 1600, nothing more to say really, legend!

+ Blomqvist, now i've learned that early returns with goalies might not be the best indicator of future success, but he was great this game, couldnt have done it without him, and looks like we might have a potential gem on our hands here.

+ Forward depth, both the third and fourth line look good for what they are, great to see them get rewarded with some goals.

- Defense, they just look so disjointed and lost out there half the time, getting in each others way, missing what should be clear assignments.

- Beauvillier on line one, not a bad player really, just not a fit at all.

Not a minus really, and he did score tonight, but I'd still rather see Rakell on the powerplay than Rust.

canadianguy77

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2006
Yup.

He's good in his own way, but I don't see the fit here, especially with Sully. I would trade him if possible.
They still need to sell tickets. If you think back to the beginning of last season, he’s been involved in like 90% of the positive memorable moments that have occurred. He’s been involved in his fair share of negative moments too, but I’ll take the trade-off.

I think if we have a competent goalie last season, they probably make the playoffs. I want to see him in the playoffs playing for us. Just for a series.

Bishop7979

Sep 9, 2005
Graves is in a weird spot, but

The thing with graves is IF this team hadn't traded for karlsson I feel like he'd be a adequate 2nd pairing, two way defender with Peterson watching his back just like he was on NJ with Marino... But they got EK.

Now Sullivan saw a big guy and thought he can force him into a dumo role with either EK or letang, both who are absolute dumpster fires in their own zone and it didn't work, because while Graves has the build to be that player, he has never been that player and never will be.

You pair him with Peterson, shea or st ivany he gets to play a style hes comfortable with, he doesn't hurt the team most of the time, but at 14 mins a night he's over paid for what he brings.

That's really not 100 percent on him, that just poor roster management. Dubas grabbed graves when he wasn't sure he could get EK, then got EK, and now Sullivan doesn't know what to do with him.

But he's quietly been a plus player for three straight games, games where the pens have give up 12 goals. He's an overall plus player on the season when the team as a whole has been outscored 21-20.

Keep feeding him minutes with a non-train wreck in his own zone partner, give him some pp2 time, and he will get you 25 pts and more often than not, will not be the reason you lose a game.

Best case scenario, you build up his value just enough to trade him to a team who can actually use him in an appropriate role on their second pairing.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
They still need to sell tickets. If you think back to the beginning of last season, he’s been involved in like 90% of the positive memorable moments that have occurred. He’s been involved in his fair share of negative moments too, but I’ll take the trade-off.

I think if we have a competent goalie last season, they probably make the playoffs. I want to see him in the playoffs playing for us. Just for a series.
Yea.. I get that. How about getting him a stay at home physical d to pair with?

Reactions: canadianguy77

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad