GDT: Game V Pens vs Swords: Can we make it 2 in a row?

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I guess Groats is a shit-tier prospect because my understanding from our intrepid media and elements of the fanbase is that the only reason this team hasn't developed any young players is because there weren't any in the whole system for going on a decade worth developing.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I guess Groats is a shit-tier prospect because my understanding from our intrepid media and elements of the fanbase is that the only reason this team hasn't developed any young players is because there weren't any in the whole system for going on a decade worth developing.

Yup. Cue "Circumstances" by Rush...

plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose...

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Jake started in the AHL, got a call up, went back down, then came back up.

This is fine.

It is far, far preferable to what is going on for him at the NHL level which is nothing.

Also regardless of my potshots at the team and Sullivan... Groats is clearly not some hotshot top tier guy and absolutely could use some work. The AHL is basically designed for that.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
McGroarty earned a look because he was excellent in preseason and the Pens had a lineup spot open with Rust out a couple of games.

But it was clear even in preseason that he wasn't fully ready. Could he have stuck? Sure. But this was always the most likely result.

He can go and play first line minutes, play in all situations, and get some pro games under his belt. The Pens can see where they are with the likes of Beauviller, Lizotte, Hayes, and Glass for 6-8 weeks. And then you go from there.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
McGroarty earned a look because he was excellent in preseason and the Pens had a lineup spot open with Rust out a couple of games.

But it was clear even in preseason that he wasn't fully ready. Could he have stuck? Sure. But this was always the most likely result.

He can go and play first line minutes, play in all situations, and get some pro games under his belt. The Pens can see where they are with the likes of Beauviller, Lizotte, Hayes, and Glass for 6-8 weeks. And then you go from there.

Why risk the chance of being better when we can be mid..

Reactions: pistolpete11

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Why risk the chance of being better when we can be mid..
Why force a player into the lineup who hasn't even played half a season in the AHL and who has generally looked unready in the NHL games he has played?

Just because our team sucks doesn't mean you force our best prospect into NHL games when he doesn't look particularly ready for them.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
"The big advantage of this trade is Rutger's NHL readiness."

"This idea that I don't play young players is a false narrative."

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
That can still be true if he establishes himself as an NHL player before Yager does which he probably will if for no reason than because he's a year older

I know I just think it was a silly horn to toot with Sullivan behind the bench. "NHL ready" on this team is like... 29.

Frankly the idea all along should have been to just send him to the AHL but whatever they at least didn't let him languish for weeks before they made a decision.

Reactions: Pancakes

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
"The big advantage of this trade is Rutger's NHL readiness."

"This idea that I don't play young players is a false narrative."

That can still be true if he establishes himself as an NHL player before Yager does which he probably will if for no reason than because he's a year older

Closer to the NHL.

I mean Rutger played in the NHL Yager got sent back. So check mate haha

Reactions: Pancakes

wopper

Jan 12, 2009
The question is always - how does Sullivan utilize the remaining players...

Likely:
Beau-Sid-Rust
BMR
DOC-Eller-Pulju
Hayes-Glass-Acciari

I think that's fine and works for now. Have to monitor Beau/Rust with Sid... lots of options to try in the future with current roster.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I know this place complains for the sake of complaining, but poking fun at the idea that McGroarty is more NHL ready when Yager is literally in the WHL right now seems....bizarre, to put it likely.

It's not like Yager is lighting it up in Winnipeg while McGroarty doesn't look close to NHL ready. Yager isn't evne particularly lighting up the WHL right now, albeit in a very small sample size.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I know this place complains for the sake of complaining, but poking fun at the idea that McGroarty is more NHL ready when Yager is literally in the WHL right now seems....bizarre, to put it likely.

It's not like Yager is lighting it up in Winnipeg while McGroarty doesn't look close to NHL ready. Yager isn't evne particularly lighting up the WHL right now, albeit in a very small sample size.

Just some lighthearted ribbing. Hit a little too close?

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Yeah... looks like they sent him down. Kinda sucks but it's for the best:

Oh... no..

Sully be like....

Time for torches.

Kill 'em all
01n2OEa.gif

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Rutger M can play top minutes and needs to get some seasoning in the AHL coming from Michigan. I do think his development is better served playing vs sitting. Get him comfortable and build his confidence as he gets going.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
I predict McGroarty will be back up around the deadline after Eller and/or DOC are sold off for picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad