GDT: Game IV Pens vs Habs 1730hrs EST: Battle of the Prime

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
He’s a plug.

He’s exactly what is wrong with this team too.

The brain trust has even brainwashed the fans into think Lars Eller is “great”.
Or maybe it's the fact that the majority of this board's expectation of a 3C is Jordan Staal at 19-23 yo.

Yeah Eller is a plug but practically every team has a plug as 3C. Oilers are using Henrique and they are the cup favorites.

Sike Mullivan

Nickstuitveness.
Nov 15, 2010
I think Eller could be a potential TDL acquisition for a team like Nashville, I think he would be an upgrade over former Penguin great Mark Jankowski.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I mean Eller is fine but I don't know that he is "first powerplay unit and OT starter" fine.

I think people only make a semi-fuss about him being this whiz-bang bottom sixer here because this team has been largely bereft of them for a long time. Despite all the money thrown at that "problem."

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Eller plays a boring brand of hockey, who cares if he’s market value or whatever.
I think he's getting traded at the TDL regardless if we are in it or not. Given previous years prices, I could see a 3rd with there possibly being a 2nd if we retain. We might have to gauge which retention slot to use (Eller v Petterson) based on which return is better for us.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Or maybe it's the fact that the majority of this board's expectation of a 3C is Jordan Staal at 19-23 yo.

Yeah Eller is a plug but practically every team has a plug as 3C. Oilers are using Henrique and they are the cup favorites.
I think expectations are of Nick Bonino. Staal hasn't even been Staal of 23 and he's older than Eller.

Bonino isn't the 25-25 for 50 Staal was. Bonino was 16-20-36 type guy which Eller clearly falls in line with more.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Adam Henrique had 51 points last year. That’s more than Eller did over the last two.

Before you say Henrique played on a bad team, we are a bad team.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I mean Eller is fine but I don't know that he is "first powerplay unit and OT starter" fine.

I think people only make a semi-fuss about him being this whiz-bang bottom sixer here because this team has been largely bereft of them for a long time. Despite all the money thrown at that "problem."
He was a monster in his prime

Now he’s just simply decent. I think hed look better on a better team though tbh.

Like if someone wanted to HBK their 3rd line, Eller would probably be good enough to win a cup with.

The way the Pens run their lines and the talent we have, he’s never gonna be a difference maker here.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
He was a monster in his prime

Now he’s just simply decent. I think hed look better on a better team though tbh.

Like if someone wanted to HBK their 3rd line, Eller would probably be good enough to win a cup with.

The way the Pens run their lines and the talent we have, he’s never gonna be a difference maker here.

Colorado used him as their 2C before he came here and he sucked dog shit.

When he isn’t moved and our room buys him a lawn mower or whatever they use in Denmark don’t be shocked.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I think expectations are of Nick Bonino. Staal hasn't even been Staal of 23 and he's older than Eller.

Bonino isn't the 25-25 for 50 Staal was. Bonino was 16-20-36 type guy which Eller clearly falls in line with more.
If the expectation is Bonino, then Eller is fine. There's not much of a difference between those two really.
Adam Henrique had 51 points last year. That’s more than Eller did over the last two.

Before you say Henrique played on a bad team, we are a bad team.
He spent a lot of time in the top 6 both at center and wing.

Reactions: Ugene Magic

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Colorado used him as their 2C before he came here and he sucked dog shit.

When he isn’t moved and our room buys him a lawn mower or whatever they use in Denmark don’t be shocked.
If we are out of a spot he’s 100% getting moved.

Fair to be down on this team but you’re being dramatic. If they moved Guentzel they will move Eller for whatever he can get :laugh:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
If we are out of a spot he’s 100% getting moved.

Fair to be down on this team but you’re being dramatic. If they moved Guentzel they will move Eller for whatever he can get :laugh:

Let’s see if anyone even wants him.

I was told Reilly Smith, Eller and others would be moved last deadline than poor Kyle said “it was hard to move them”.

If the expectation is Bonino, then Eller is fine. There's not much of a difference between those two really.

He spent a lot of time in the top 6 both at center and wing.

Did you forget Lars Eller on our top Powerplay?

Nick Bonino was 26 coming off multiple 40 point seasons.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

I was told Reilly Smith, Eller and others would be moved last deadline than poor Kyle said “it was hard to move them”.

Both had term. I'm sure Dubas wasn't eating cap on this years salary cap.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I really don't see any reason in keeping McGroarty up if Sully is gonna play him 10 minutes a night or scratch him.

The rest of our bottom six has been hot garbage. McGroarty hasn't been great either but at least he has theoretical upside. Upside he's not going to be hitting sitting in the press box or playing 10 minutes a night.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
I really don't see any reason in keeping McGroarty up if Sully is gonna play him 10 minutes a night or scratch him.

The rest of our bottom six has been hot garbage. McGroarty hasn't been great either but at least he has theoretical upside. Upside he's not going to be hitting sitting in the press box or playing 10 minutes a night.

I’ve liked Cody Glass’s game. He should honestly be up on L2 IMO or played with talent.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I’ve liked Cody Glass’s game. He should honestly be up on L2 IMO or played with talent.
He's been alright. I like that he's shown decent playmaking. If he had anyone with him with any offensive talent at all he might be able to cash in on some of the passes he's made. Well I guess Kevin Hayes cashed in one of his nice passes vs Detroit.

Agree big time on Eller being a disappointment so far. Eller is always talking a big game in the media about how the Pens need to play better and he's been one of the most disappointing players so far. I hope he gets his shit together or I'm going to start hating him like Brooks Orpik lmao. I used to hate how Orpik would always criticize the team in the media but meanwhile he'd be playing like garbage himself.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
The problem is Eller is one of our “faster” players. He’s ideally a 4th C at best but we’re so devoid of speed I would be hesitant to remove him from the lineup.

The real issue is Dubas thought he was a 3C based off of feedback from a coach that was fired last year and was already 3 years removed from coaching that player.

Reactions: SEALBound

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Giant-Thumb-Guy-meme-3.jpg

Great.

The problem is Eller is one of our “faster” players. He’s ideally a 4th C at best but we’re so devoid of speed I would be hesitant to remove him from the lineup.

The real issue is Dubas thought he was a 3C based off of feedback from a coach that was fired last year and was already 3 years removed from coaching that player.
Realistically, he will be gone at the deadline. Then I think you will see Pono hopefully take over or you ride out the rest of the year with Hayes, Lizotte, or Acciari. That said, Glass may get a bump as well.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Eller and Hayes off the roster next year. Then Pono/Glass is 3C and Lizotte is 4C. Acciari is either gone or 4RW. More or less, a turnover of the previous Sullivan-influenced mistakes.

• Haha
Reactions: BusinessGoose

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
Sacramento, CA
I can't be arsed to care about player usage anymore

I just want them to accidentally show they can score once in awhile

Blind squirrel and finding a nut and all that

There's almost no one on this team that isn't a painfully hardcore mediocre waste of a roster slot

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Also, Bunting seems to be escaping a lot of criticism but he’s gotten prime playing time on the second line and produced squat and -3. Not sure how that’s worse than Groats who has to play with Eller.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018

Well given they moved Smith pretty much the moment he was a pending FA.. bad example.

I feel confident that if Eller has interest and the Pens are out of the race he’ll be gone. Don’t really give a shit what you think on this subject because I’m sure it’ll be contrarian for the sake of it.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

He’s not going to get a real opportunity unless he comes in as Jake Guentzel fresh from PPG scoring in the AHL, lands in the top six and scores a couple goals early lol…that’s reality with this coach

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Also, Bunting seems to be escaping a lot of criticism but he’s gotten prime playing time on the second line and produced squat and -3. Not sure how that’s worse than Groats who has to play with Eller.

It's still extremely early of course but Bunting turning right back into a 3rd liner is an eventuality everyone should have been prepared for.

His sample size as an effective top six wing is minimal, to be kind. Heck he doesn't even have 300 total NHL games to this point.

Reactions: tom_servo

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
It's still extremely early of course but Bunting turning right back into a 3rd liner is an eventuality everyone should have been prepared for.

His sample size as an effective top six wing is minimal, to be kind. Heck he doesn't even have 300 total NHL games to this point.
I’m about ready to switch Bunting and DOC on L2 lol…I see more chemistry right now between G and DOC than G and Bunting…

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad