GDT: Game IV Pens vs Habs 1730hrs EST: Battle of the Prime

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I’m about ready to switch Bunting and DOC on L2 lol…I see more chemistry right now between G and DOC than G and Bunting…

My thing is that Bunting isn't just looking snakebit or really close just no cigar... he doesn't look like a top six wing. Probably because he likely isn't on most teams. That said I'm willing to give it some time... Malkin/Bunt WERE good together late last year so it's worth some more games to see. It's not like there is anything at stake so who cares.

I did like what I saw between Malkin and DOC, though.

Reactions: Andy99

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Giant-Thumb-Guy-meme-3.jpg

Great.

Realistically, he will be gone at the deadline. Then I think you will see Pono hopefully take over or you ride out the rest of the year with Hayes, Lizotte, or Acciari. That said, Glass may get a bump as well.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Eller and Hayes off the roster next year. Then Pono/Glass is 3C and Lizotte is 4C. Acciari is either gone or 4RW. More or less, a turnover of the previous Sullivan-influenced mistakes.

As per usual when given discourse and facts you ignore / post a gif.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Also, Bunting seems to be escaping a lot of criticism but he’s gotten prime playing time on the second line and produced squat and -3. Not sure how that’s worse than Groats who has to play with Eller.
I wouldn’t be shocked if Bunting underwhelms this year tbh.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
As per usual when given discourse and facts you ignore / post a gif.
If you want to dive into Nick Bonino vs Lars Eller stats, lol, be my guest. I'm sure there's a brick wall near you that would love to hear your in-depth analysis.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I can't be arsed to care about player usage anymore

I just want them to accidentally show they can score once in awhile

Blind squirrel and finding a nut and all that

There's almost no one on this team that isn't a painfully hardcore mediocre waste of a roster slot
Yeah complaining about line-up changes seems pointless when no one can point out where the Dzone is on a map.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
It's pretty clear that the only reason McG even made the team was because of the high profile nature of his acquisition/signing, not because Sullivan was ever interested--let alone excited--about playing the kid. Just send him down, which is definitely gonna f*** with his confidence a bit, but hopefully he can stabilize and become more comfortable doing what he's best suited for with big minutes in the AHL.

It's just always the same shit. Kid's a smart player, works well on the cycle, works well in the slot and down low in offensive situations and his value comes as an addition to a line and not in a vacuum. What does the team do? Play him for 10 minutes a night alongside Eller in a defense-first 3rd line. And on his off-wing. :laugh:

Can't wait for this loser coach to kick rocks, man. But he's already been named Team USA HC and this organization's f***ing stupid so, something like that matters to them for some reason.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
It's pretty clear that the only reason McG even made the team was because of the high profile nature of his acquisition/signing, not because Sullivan was ever interested--let alone excited--about playing the kid. Just send him down, which is definitely gonna f*** with his confidence a bit, but hopefully he can stabilize and become more comfortable doing what he's best suited for with big minutes in the AHL.

It's just always the same shit. Kid's a smart player, works well on the cycle, works well in the slot and down low in offensive situations and his value comes as an addition to a line and not in a vacuum. What does the team do? Play him for 10 minutes a night alongside Eller in a defense-first 3rd line. And on his off-wing. :laugh:

Can't wait for this loser coach to kick rocks, man. But he's already been named Team USA HC and this organization's f***ing stupid so, something like that matters to them for some reason.

I can’t wait until Bryan Rust makes the US team for reasons.

• Love
Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Also, Bunting seems to be escaping a lot of criticism but he’s gotten prime playing time on the second line and produced squat and -3. Not sure how that’s worse than Groats who has to play with Eller.
Almost like it was predictable that Bunting wasn't on Jake's level. But I guess 5on5 points per 60 stats always tell the real picture.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Rust is a career top-6 winger that has been about a 60 point per 82 game player for the Penguins in the last 8 years, and is coming off a year with 56 points in 62 games. The only part about Rust's usage that is silly is that people here think that literally any team is going to be using him any differently.
Eh, I think on a better team Rust's probably the #3 option on the wing. Like, put him on the Oilers. Is he playing on the top PP unit? How about the Leafs? Lightning? Panthers?

Rust, IMO, is a guy who's filling that role of "gets points on a shallow team because someone has to play those minutes". On an actual contender, he's probably the third best winger and gets top six minutes but only 2nd unit PP usage.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Fordy

May 28, 2008
bunting is getting significantly fewer minutes than he was to end last year

1728944629840.png

1728944645136.png

checks out because i already felt like i've barely seen him on the ice. he was pulled off the powerplay for whatever reason and now he isn't getting involved in the game

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia

View attachment 916703
View attachment 916704

checks out because i already felt like i've barely seen him on the ice. he was pulled off the powerplay for whatever reason and now he isn't getting involved in the game
Sullivan is a master at stifling potential continued success.
Bunting, Puustinen, now Puljujarvi...
DOC's been moved off L1 and might fade away on L3. TBD.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
McGroarty's probably going to be (if he isn't already) wishing he never asked for that trade out of Winnipeg.

If I was any sort of offensively talented youngster, I'd want nothing to do with the Penguins as long as Sullivan is the coach. Time and time again we've seen him bury these kids.

The funny thing is it's one thing if we're a contender and you can't afford to play a youngster force fed minutes because every point counts. Let's be honest. We suck. We're rebuilding without actually using the word. So they should be playing youngsters as much as possible rather than going with the "can't play youngsters ahead of vets" thing that contenders do.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Eh, I think on a better team Rust's probably the #3 option on the wing. Like, put him on the Oilers. Is he playing on the top PP unit? How about the Leafs? Lightning? Panthers?

Rust, IMO, is a guy who's filling that role of "gets points on a shallow team because someone has to play those minutes". On an actual contender, he's probably the third best winger and gets top six minutes but only 2nd unit PP usage.
Yeah, people take criticism of Rust's usage as saying the guy is garbage. He's a fine player, good even. But it's pretty undeniable that his stats are inflated here, and he's got a serious problem with injury issues, that's all. /shrug

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA

View attachment 916703
View attachment 916704

I for one am shocked that Mike Sullivan is making weird roster decisions.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Yeah, people take criticism of Rust's usage as saying the guy is garbage. He's a fine player, good even. But it's pretty undeniable that his stats are inflated here, and he's got a serious problem with injury issues, that's all. /shrug
He is a fine, but he's treated as royalty, which he's not. The fact that he has a lifetime slot next to Sid is BS. It happens with every coach in every sport when they stay too long, they play favorites within the roster; It's cancer for a locker-room.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

View attachment 916703
View attachment 916704

He was on 1PP for a bit last season as well. IIRC, Sullivan relied a bit more on the top 6 and top 9 towards the end of last year. This year, with a competent bottom 6 (compared to last year), he may be trying to roll all four lines a bit more evenly.

He is a fine, but he's treated as royalty, which he's not. The fact that he has a lifetime slot next to Sid is BS. It happens with every coach in every sport when they stay too long, they play favorites within the roster; It's cancer for a locker-room.
I imagine at this point, Sid also has a say. Who is better to put with Sid than Rust though? Rust vs Rakell is a coin flip.

It's not like Sullivan is forcing Tanner Glass on Sid.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Doc-Geno-Bunting looked great the little bit they played together so naturally they'll never play together again

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad