GDT: Game II Pens vs Caps Oct 13th 1930hrs: Friday the 13th

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

First goal

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
As a Caps fan, I really love seeing how the dynamic has shifted from pure hatred to begrudging respect to just straight up respect for each other between the teams.

It definitely helps that the Caps finally beat the Pens and went on to win the Stanley Cup and then both teams immediately cratered into overwhelming mediocrity and then finally fell out of the playoffs at the exact same time.
Well...one traded away players at the deadline knowing they weren't going to make it.
The other acquired Granlund as the missing piece to a deep Stanley Cup run!

I think it was Marek who was saying Dubas was brought in to rebuild the Penguins and everything about winning is a facade.
If that were true, we wouldn't have traded for EK. Sure we cleaned house, but we also gave up draft picks.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Either way, this shit kicks ass. I can't wait for Sullivan to neuter EK's offensive game to the point that he's like a 45pt blueliner who is entirely incapable of playing anything resembling a defensive game.

I hope Dubas spikes a tablet off of Sully's head in a closed door meeting around December.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Memo to EK65:

F005.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Ugene Magic

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Well...one traded away players at the deadline knowing they weren't going to make it.
The other acquired Granlund as the missing piece to a deep Stanley Cup run!

If that were true, we wouldn't have traded for EK. Sure we cleaned house, but we also gave up draft picks.
EK fell into this team's lap for essentially free. I love that the team landed him, and I'm still excited to see what he can do, but Dubas didn't go out there and get the guy out of the blue. Nobody else made a serious effort to acquire him, including Carolina, and the SJ/EK relationship was fractured.

I think it speaks more to the Marek idea that the team kept the pick and got Yager as opposed to throwing it around without a second though for some random addition.

I don't think he's gonna tear things down until Sid's done, but I will be interested to see just how much he hangs on to prospects/picks as time marches on.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
EK fell into this team's lap for essentially free. I love that the team landed him, and I'm still excited to see what he can do, but Dubas didn't go out there and get the guy out of the blue. Nobody else made a serious effort to acquire him, including Carolina, and the SJ/EK relationship was fractured.

I think it speaks more to the Marek idea that the team kept the pick and got Yager as opposed to throwing it around without a second though for some random addition.

I don't think he's gonna tear things down until Sid's done, but I will be interested to see just how much he hangs on to prospects/picks as time marches on.

Basically Marek’s point was the team will be competitive enough to sneak into the playoffs.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Basically Marek’s point was the team will be competitive enough to sneak into the playoffs.
Pretty much what I expect as well. Keep up appearances, get the billionaire owners their revenue from 2-3 home playoff games and wait for the clock to strike midnight.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I know I'm captain of the Sullivan defense team here, but even the author of that Karlsson article is suggesting people are overreacting.

Whyshynski retweeted the tweet below:

Sullivan is one of those coaches who believes players don't stop learning and growing in their 30s.

Let's put it this way - if Sullivan was guilty of what some fans suggest and that he forces talented players to sacrifice offense for defense, then he wouldn't still be the coach of this team. The core would have tuned him out several years ago.

Instead, they back him. And they still produce at a high rate.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Conversely; I think the stars tuning him out is exactly why they all continue, to varying degrees, to be effective and productive players. :laugh:

Also, I'm not sure we're still in the "give Sullivan the benefit of the doubt" stage anymore. We're a half decade into this. /shrug

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I know I'm captain of the Sullivan defense team here, but even the author of that Karlsson article is suggesting people are overreacting.

Whyshynski retweeted the tweet below:

Sullivan is one of those coaches who believes players don't stop learning and growing in their 30s.

Let's put it this way - if Sullivan was guilty of what some fans suggest and that he forces talented players to sacrifice offense for defense, then he wouldn't still be the coach of this team. The core would have tuned him out several years ago.

Instead, they back him. And they still produce at a high rate.

EK should do what he does, he doesn't need to be ''coached'' up, what a dweeb gork.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
Pittsburgh
Two immutable postulates on the current Penguin era: 1.) We suck against the Hawks and our games versus them are usually inexplicably awful 2.) We don't like the Caps and generally play them tough in entertaining games. I'm betting the mood will be better in here Friday evening (but I'm not betting the house).
Third postulate: games against Winnipeg are insane and usually have scores of like 7-5

Reactions: CascadiaPenguin

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Sullivan coaching and results from here will be under more scrutiny. Dubas no matter what is the boss and while he thinks sullivan with his rep has merit, He expects results and will be involved with player usage ect. Dubas inheriited this situation and has done what he can to rectify what he could. the PP can't be ineffective here. Sullican has to actually make some tough decisions on elevating the PP. all in all, I think the bottom 6 sans Carter is better. Carter will be gone at some point with White called up.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
No Conor Sheary? No W for the CAPS. Pens win big.
That definitely tilts the scale in our favor.

We will see a little before puck drop, only an optional skate today. Malkin, Smith, Harkins, Graves, Shea, Ludvig, and Nedeljkovic participating.

Re: Saint Sullivan and EK:

I'm glad they're ''ALLOWING'' one of the most talent and dynamic players as well as a A THREE TIME NORRIS trophy winner to trust his instincts, what a noble concept, congrats Sully!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad