GDT: Game 9: Sharks @ Vegas 7pm NBCSCA

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
I loved the "Gushchin has been promoted" discourse before the game.

He gets 10 minutes lol.
He’s not doing much.

This was supposed to be the year we see some improvement. I'm not ready to fire Grier yet because this was a massive teardown but if we are still tearing down, I'm not sure if that is great.
The season has just started.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
All Grier has shown is that he’s good at putting a bad team on the ice. That restocked the prospect pool.

But this was meant to be a step forward and he recruited more players (Toffoli) aside that had the same MO as the players from last season. Hell, he replaced the coach with a member of the coaching staff from last season.

Doing the same thing and expecting different results…

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
He’s not doing much.
He’s had the 4th highest expected goals per 60 on the team.

He’s 3rd of best sharks forward in Corsi, and 2nd in Fenwick, 3rd in on-ice expected goals percentage

In terms of defence, when hes on the ice the Sharks have conceded the fewest high danger chances per 60 (for forwards).

All this whilst he has started his shifts in the defensive zone more than the other two zones.

He has earned the ice time.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
This is the hard part. Grier has done a commendable job with the teardown and the amateur scouting department is doing a good job. The pro scouting department on the other hand, hasn't created much confidence in their ability to identify and acquire good players.
The pro scouting has been fine aside from the issue with the defense.

Curse on DW for wasting 2-3 years.

I'm OK with the forwards and the plan in net, and I can understand why Grier had to make compromises there. But the Sharks have one top-4 defenseman—one experienced player who can move the puck, an absolute must-have in today's game.

Reactions: PeePeeMcGee

hotcabbagesoup

"I'm going to get what I deserve" -RutgerMcgroarty
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Well, we do have an NHL-ready LD prospect waiting in the wings.

And I'm not talking about Mukhamadullin, no, this guy's name rhymes with Pooka Anchovy.

PF has been advocating for his call-up since the last game and I'm leaning toward agreing with him.

drunksage

Sphere = underrated?
Jan 13, 2007
30-ish min from Sphere
SNOG announcement

I'm a bit surprised that nobody got the SNOG, but then again I certainly wasn't expecting 3 goals either.

SNOGLossFail.JPG

#
Date / Opponent
SNOG Winner(s)
Result
1Oct. 10 vs BluesnoneBlues 5-4 OT
2Oct. 12 vs DucksnoneDucks 2-0
3Oct. 15 at Starsweastern biasStars 3-2 SO
4Oct. 17 at Blackhawksweastern biasBlackhawks 4-2
5Oct. 18 at JetsnoneJets 8-3
6Oct. 20 vs AvalanchenoneAvalanche 4-1
7Oct. 22 at DucksTimo TimeDucks 3-1
8Oct. 24 at KingsFridayKings 3-2
9Oct. 26 at VGKnoneVGK 7-3

Rank
2024-25 SNOG standings
# of SNOGs
1.weastern bias2
T-2.Friday, Timo Time1

------

Update on semi-OT parking situation: signs at gate at Aria self-parking for $35 but managed to get in and out for free with MGM Rewards card of a sufficient tier. This particular card may not have belonged to me though, as my own has somehow been rejected from multiple MGM properties even during non-event hours.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
The pro scouting has been fine aside from the issue with the defense.

Curse on DW for wasting 2-3 years.

I'm OK with the forwards and the plan in net, and I can understand why Grier had to make compromises there. But the Sharks have one top-4 defenseman—one experienced player who can move the puck, an absolute must-have in today's game.
The defense falls under the pro scouting department, and that in and of itself brings down the entire squad. If they can’t make the moves to make the defense competitive then they’re struggling with team building.

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
Look up the chain. Who let things linger for so long before actually turning over the GM position? How many seasons did that delay put us behind?
Truth be told, if health issues hadn't forced him to retire, I believe Doug Wilson would still be here today. He was teflon with this franchise for years because of one trade that he lucked into winning ridiculously well.

Reactions: LilLeeroy

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
He’s not doing much.
It's been really weird, I have to say, how you're always so positive about every player, even the ones who absolutely don't deserve it, yet with Gushchin this year you've been relentlessly critical or negative. I don't get it--it's like other people being positive like you are has made you go the other direction.

It's not like he's even been bad, as @Anomie2029 pointed out; it's just that the points aren't coming (it's like with Will Smith, whom you've been supporting--which I'm right there with you on--except Gushchin has actually been better by those advanced stats, with the caveat that it's easier being a young winger than a young center).

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
If the goal was developing the kids then hiring a 36 year old rookie coach to spearhead that movement was the wrong choice. If the goal was to win more games then perhaps hiring a 36 year old rookie coach to spearhead that movement was the wrong choice.

I like War but regardless of the talent on the team, the reason we’re winless 9 games in is because the team is consistently making bad decisions whether mental or physical. And that falls squarely on the coach. We have basically one rookie in the lineup so it’s not like these are guys who are just getting their feet wet. The players just aren’t responding to whatever he’s doing.

do think part of the panic is that losing is habitual and when you get into a rut like this it becomes exponentially harder to get out. They looked pretty good the first few games of the season but every loss is taking a toll and everyone is gripping their stick (except Granlund who has decided to quietly become a star).
And this is where a competent coaching staff if integral. It’s why Edmonton fired what’s his name and brought in Knoblough and they immediately responded. I’m not necessarily advocating firing war now or in the future but he is very much a big part of why the team is struggling to just show any signs of life as any.

Shark Finn

∀dministrator
Jan 5, 2012
Herwood
Watching the highlights of this one was just about the worst way to start a Sunday morning. At least the Kn*ghts didn't win another Cup in this one!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad