GDT: Game 9: Sharks @ Vegas 7pm NBCSCA

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
It’s beyond that. It’s the inconsistency in lines, the effort, the discipline, the lack of improvement. The lack of identity. What kind of team are they trying to be?

Yeah, I’m not sure. I don’t necessarily know that the effort isn’t there — I think they’re trying but when your defense can’t get the puck out of the zone, everything starts breaking down. You can’t play to your identity if you can’t get the puck, so they start pressing and trying desperately to get the puck, but they can’t, so they trip and hold and etc.

There isn’t enough talent on the team and when your best defenseman is probably a #4 on a good team (and maybe a #5 on a great team), there’s a very big problem that I’m not sure coaching can solve.

The line blender thing is literally a thing every coach does in the history of everything.

I’m not saying Wars is doing a great job but I’m just unsure that any coach would be doing much better.

Reactions: Star Platinum

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Yeah, I’m not sure. I don’t necessarily know that the effort isn’t there — I think they’re trying but when your defense can’t get the puck out of the zone, everything starts breaking down. You can’t play to your identity if you can’t get the puck, so they start pressing and trying desperately to get the puck, but they can’t, so they trip and hold and etc.

There isn’t enough talent on the team and when your best defenseman is probably a #4 on a good team (and maybe a #5 on a great team), there’s a very big problem that I’m not sure coaching can solve.

The line blender thing is literally a thing every coach does in the history of everything.

I’m not saying Wars is doing a great job but I’m just unsure that any coach would be doing much better.
To your point about the talent here, every game they show up at times during these games. They have tonight. These boys are NHL players and have played for literally their whole lives. They have talent, not necessarily goal scoring but they do have talent.
Putting together these stretches will come and it’ll get better.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass

I think there’s a major lack of commitment to detail and playing smart hockey. Too much panic and unsureness leads to tons of lazy penalties.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

That was very well said. The problem is that Grier didn't address the biggest hole on the team, and everyone shrugged their shoulders and said that it was OK since the team wasn't going to compete this year. But getting curb-stomped like this is demoralizing and depressing, and it is not an environment conducive to development.

The other issue is the lack of detail in players's games. The lack of experience shows; obviously in players like Smith and Gushchin, but also in guys like Zetterlund and Eklund. Granlund, Goodrow, Sturm, and maybe Wennberg consistently do "the little things".

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
This defense is so awful I’m not sure there’s a coach out there that could do much better. Consider the Barracuda: we all wanted McCarthy fired, they went out and rebuilt the team so it’s actually… good… and they’ve shot out of the gate. I just don’t think we have the personnel.
This is most likely the right answer, but I want the people who were positive that Quinn was dragging a bad roster down to consider that sometimes, a coach can only do so much.

That was very well said. The problem is that Grier didn't address the biggest hole on the team, and everyone shrugged their shoulders and said that it was OK since the team wasn't going to compete this year. But getting curb-stomped like this is demoralizing and depressing, and it is not an environment conducive to development.

The other issue is the lack of detail in players's games. The lack of experience shows; obviously in players like Smith and Gushchin, but also in guys like Zetterlund and Eklund. Granlund, Goodrow, Sturm, and maybe Wennberg consistently do "the little things".
I don't think anyone felt okay about it, but players have to want to come here too.

Skeksis25

Feb 17, 2023
North Brunswick, NJ
If we fire two coaches in a row for not being able to extract more wins out of godawful rosters given to them, how can we expect anyone worth their salt to want to coach here until the roster is improved? I don't know what coach is going to come here and stumble on to the magic line combinations when you are forced to plug in 7-8 4th liners and a bunch of #7 defencemen into the starting lineup.

Are there players on this roster who are actually performing worse than you would expect them to? Sure, Smith should be making more of an impact and maybe Thrun should have shown more improvement by now, but other than that, I feel like the players are all doing what you would think they are capable of doing. Which isn't much.

Reactions: PeePeeMcGee

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Artificial disk replacement surgery…so he already had an artificial disk and he needed it replaced??

Wish you knew this much about the sharks, Randis

f*** Hertl. Got your pay check and bailed as soon as you could.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
To your point about the talent here, every game they show up at times during these games. They have tonight. These boys are NHL players and have played for literally their whole lives. They have talent, not necessarily goal scoring but they do have talent.
Putting together these stretches will come and it’ll get better.

They have talent because they’re NHL players but they, and I mean particularly the defense, do not have the talent to play where they have been placed in the lineup. It’s no affront to them, we have no one better, but it’s partly why we’re so bad.

Reactions: PeePeeMcGee

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad