GDT: Game 9: Red Wings vs oilers 6:00 pm et 10/27/24

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
what decided the game was the fact that we did not give 60 minutes of effort at playing in all three zones and we haven't once this entire season thus far. our goaltenders have been the only players consistently giving effort. this has never been a sustainable model for success and we're at major risk of going on a prolonged skid should that change. until we make meaningful improvements to our defense and overall scoring acuity winning is going to be tough.
Neither did the Oilers. Now what?

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Stick tight till thanksgiving at least pal. We'll have a good read by then...

I haven't had a good feeling about this team all summer but you've got to give them a shot... They're actually still right in the thick of things early.
No, I know.

I’m just frustrated. I don’t think we’re as bad as the play has indicated. This turtle after getting a lead or even turtling off the start is really baffling and not fun to watch. It’s probably why the players aren’t motivated

Reactions: PelagicJoe

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Pretty much the same as Kane, very small samples they make a play that leads to a goal. But as for 5on5 it's not great.
Interesting. Kane has been pretty darn good this season, multiple game winners and a few good assists assists to go along with a ton of decent chances that just didn't find the back of the net. The crazy thing I've noticed with him this season is he's actually made a few pretty good defensive plays as well. He hasn't been lights out or anything but I have no issues with his play so far. Tarasenko, yeah I think we all expect a little more there, hopefully he breaks out soon.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Pretty interesting post game interview, especially Copp

I agree with Copp here. Blashill and now Lalonde both love the sit back mentality with leads, especially in the 3rd period. All that does is let the other team have chance after chance to score, and you aren't going to win those battles all the time, especially against skill players. In the first we pushed and had the best period by far of the season, and then we sat back. Copp speaking about it, tells me that the coaching staff wants it that way, and Copp sounded annoyed at the style they play. Regardless of who the coach is, I have always thought that was a dumb way to try and protect a lead, by just sitting back.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
4-4-1 after 9 very tough games is impressive, very impressive.

Seider shows signs he might emerge as our best player during this season. He has had some amazing shifts and games.

Copp leads the team in goals and has more points than Larkin

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
4-4-1 after 9 very tough games is impressive, very impressive.

Seider shows signs he might emerge as our best player during this season. He has had some amazing shifts and games.

Copp leads the team in goals and has more points than Larkin
I mean, we took a cup final team (that has McDavid and Drai on it) to overtime. On paper, they should have beat the snot out of us.

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
I expected to be below .500 after 9 games.

I am more impressed with our record than what has been shown on the ice.

Watching the last press conference, Copp gave hints that he is not happy with the game plan, and Kane agreed. Lalonde is going to lose the room soon if nothing happens.

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
I agree with Copp here. Blashill and now Lalonde both love the sit back mentality with leads, especially in the 3rd period. All that does is let the other team have chance after chance to score, and you aren't going to win those battles all the time, especially against skill players. In the first we pushed and had the best period by far of the season, and then we sat back. Copp speaking about it, tells me that the coaching staff wants it that way, and Copp sounded annoyed at the style they play. Regardless of who the coach is, I have always thought that was a dumb way to try and protect a lead, by just sitting back.
Yes Sir, a huge difference between playing defense responsibly and turtling...the coaches should know this, you keep the other team honest if you at least try to score on them when you have a lead.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Husso down in GR again. Looks like he can't physically hockey.
Yeah, he seems to be made of glass. It sounds minor at the moment, but the guy might be one more tweak away from LTIR.

"The first indicator that Husso may be set to miss some time came when the Red Wings re-assigned Carter Gylander (a 2019 7th round pick and Colgate University product) from the ECHL Toledo Walleye to GR. Then, Griffins coach Dan Watson provide an update and more clarity.

"Per Watson, the present injury for Husso is not a flare up of the ailments that nagged and eventually debilitated him last season. Instead, it's a new injury and a relatively modest one. Watson said that Husso believed he could play though it, only to tweak it in the second period. Watson characterized Husso as "day-to-day" in the timetable toward his return.

"In theory, this is an encouraging update, though it's also worth noting that when Husso was injured for the second time last year, Detroit said the same thing—that it was a new injury to his lower body, rather than a re-aggravation of a previous malady. Whether that was true or not, it didn't change the fact that the injury ended his season, despite coming in February. Hopefully, Husso's latest knock is indeed a minor one. We'll keep you posted as more information becomes available."

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
Pretty interesting post game interview, especially Copp

If Lalonde is the one picking guys to do the post game pressers, I don't think Copp will be asked to do one again. lol

I appreciate how blunt he is in interviews. I think it was when he got his 100th goal and was asked about it his response was "I don't give a shit."

That just gave me flashbacks of Blashill going into the 1-2-2 in the second period if the Wings were up by a goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad