Half-Assed GDT: Game 9/82 Blues @ Habs 6PM CST FDSNMW

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Wow I think Blues connected more passes with Habs players than they did with Blues players. For a bubble playoff team we have to win games against weaker opponents. Tonights level of effort and execution is just not good enough. Hang your heads in shame

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Wow I think Blues connected more passes with Habs players than they did with Blues players. For a bubble playoff team we have to win games against weaker opponents. Tonights level of effort and execution is just not good enough. Hang your heads in shame

I don't think effort is the issue tonight. The forecheck is generation quite a few turnovers, and the Blues are outshooting the Canadiens. It's the lack of discipline that lead to those penalties.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
only ones i can think ofL
Christopher Huet was okay, but really not good enough to be more than a fill-in for an injured fill-in. The French League is not of very high quality - probably a stop down from the Swiss and German Leagues (maybe a step higher than The Dutch League. It was amazing to me that Bozon could be a regular in The NHL, similar to Walker's situation. Dreiseitl is also an amazing story. The German league is probably slightly lower level than The Czech and Slovak leagues, which are a step down from The Finnish Elite League.

Reactions: i aint Dunn yet

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Some thoughts as the game starts to wind down and it looks like we're not going to get enough offense to get it to OT:
Blues felt like they've controlled basically this entire game. Lots of pressure, some good looks, some not so good looks, but overall it seems like they've been able to hold Montreal to rather weak chances. However, they've given Montreal great looks off the rush which has led to at least one goal. Powerplay and penalty kill have also put this team behind tonight (less so penalty kill but they gave up one). I don't feel like there have been a ton of breakdowns that would have prevented us from winning - on the contrary, I think we've played good enough to win in OT, if not regulation. Really it comes down to goaltending. Binnington has been bad tonight. Lots of turning around for some reason, getting beat clean, getting beat with 2 defenders back against Caufield (really don't care how well he can shoot), was a bit slow on the penalty kill goal. Just overall not a good game from him and I hate to put all the blame on him tonight but that's just how I feel and what I've seen. Normally I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on 2-on-1's, great shots, or penalty kill goals, but they all really felt like savable shots from the tv perspective. This is one of those games where you play well and get beat. Good game, bad loss.

i aint Dunn yet

Apr 13, 2015
i guess i cant watch no more (bad luck)
Christopher Huet was okay, but really not good enough to be more than a fill-in for an injured fill-in. The French League is not of very high quality - probably a stop down from the Swiss and German Leagues (maybe a step higher than The Dutch League. It was amazing to me that Bozon could be a regular in The NHL, similar to Walker's situation. Dreiseitl is also an amazing story. The German league is probably slightly lower level than The Czech and Slovak leagues, which are a step down from The Finnish Elite League.
i agree its rare to see a french hockey player

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
this is why we are not going to the playoffs this year and will finish 9-12 in conf ... at least two of LA, NSH, SEA, UTAH, MIN & CGY will consistently win games like this which they are in

Reactions: taylord22

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I don't think effort is the issue tonight. The forecheck is generation quite a few turnovers, and the Blues are outshooting the Canadiens. It's the lack of discipline that lead to those penalties.
But it's not just the penalties. They are not skating hard like they did in Toronto. And maybe their easy, 5-1 victory got them thinking that they did what they needed to do to get out of their slump, and SUBCONSCIOUSLY they let down. In The NHL, playing without asn edge can get you beat by even bad teams. I saw that at every competitive level above age 11 or 12.

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
Agree with others that 50 was probably the weak link tonight. He hasn’t looked too hot in our losses this yr.

Ad

Ad

Ad