Post-Game Talk: GAME 8 - ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ Dallas 5 BRUINS 2

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
Monty has no answers because there are no answers. There's a lack of high end scoring talent on this team and the Providence skill guys just aren't good enough either. As much as I love Marchand, he's no longer a legit top 6 forward. Zacha and Coyle never have been.

This is the price you pay after years of deadline trades.
Bold part, I disagree.....respectfully.

Reactions: Ladyfan

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Watching Unobstructed Views with McQuaid, Tuuka, Bergy, and Raycroft

McQuaid when goes down 3-1 looks like he just found out the killer is somewhere in the house and no internet or lights

you get a chance watch the first 10 minutes of period 2

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Yea I agree they are due to regress after a stellar 15 yr + run.That said though how the heck does Monty really know what can work when he switches things in blink of an eye.He will not give it a chance to percolate.Sheer panic.
Because he's coaching for his job and he's trying to make chicken salad out of chicken shit with that forward group. He's got 3 maybe 4 (if you include Marchand) legit top 6 forwards to fill 6 spots. He's on his last year of his contract, and they've come out of the gate slow. Him sitting on his hands and saying "lets give it a couple weeks" isn't going to cut it with the front office or with the fans when the performances have been as poor as they have been.

Now to your point, you DO have to give lines time to gel and constant shuffling isn't helping. But he obviously feels that he needs to do SOMETHING to find a spark..

Last edited:

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
I agree with this - it was quite obvious by the end of camp and has only been confirmed since - but the question is why? Inexcusable for modern, highly paid and trained athletes to come back to work out of shape. Marchand has a clear pass due to surgery, the rest do not, and it applies to every single one of the other senior guys with the possible exception of Hampus. It isn't the first time Pasta in particular has returned from a break in poor condition either.

I suppose we won't get an answer and what's done is done. The problem now as you allude to is the issue compounds and it's very hard to play catch up in a tough and competitive league. There is a path forwards but we haven't seen anything more than baby steps towards it yet, and little evidence that Monty can lead them down the right road. Which is not so much to blame the coach for where things are at as to wonder whether he has the right abilities to fix them.

It's still early, granted, but the warning signs are clear and the going is harder than it has been for a long time in Boston. Do these guys really want to knuckle down and grind their way out? How much are they willing to give? We will find out.
Marchand was hurt; Swayman was holding out; and Elias "Linholm" missed a lot camp.

Plus, Monty underplayed the top players in the pre-season games, so they didn't have a chance to gel.

Coyle had a career year last year, and it isn't happening for him this year. Same with Freddy..

Dallas may have the best forward depth, 1-9 in the league. Their third line, whichever one it is, is as good as their second line, whichever one it is.

If they lose the next two games, Monty is gone. Don't know if he deserves it, but it may be his time. Cassidy is a great coach, but he outlived his shelf life here, and it was his time.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Marchand was hurt; Swayman was holding out; and Elias "Linholm" missed a lot camp.

Plus, Monty underplayed the top players in the pre-season games, so they didn't have a chance to gel.

Coyle had a career year last year, and it isn't happening for him this year. Same with Freddy..

Dallas may have the best forward depth, 1-9 in the league. Their third line, whichever one it is, is as good as their second line, whichever one it is.

If they lose the next two games, Monty is gone. Don't know if he deserves it, but it may be his time. Cassidy is a great coach, but he outlived his shelf life here, and it was his time.
He didn’t underplay the top players in the preseason. They got what starters got across the league.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I think Marchand still has top tier edge work, and can still dig the pucks out of corners effectively. My issue is his decision making when he does so. He's just completely off.

Ideally the Bruins would be able to play Brad in a 3rd line role and on special teams. It seems that is where his game is now, and he could still be effective for a long time in that role I think. Expecting him to carry the team offensively appears to be beyond him these days.

Notice how the blues got better all of a sudden on the back end? I wonder why? Hint hint 2011 here for us. Wish he was with our team in some capacity . Brilliant defensive wizard.

Don, are we going to start wearing the Clode-colored glasses now? Yes, Cup, but thereafter, meh. And I remember well the bitching about him around here. I have to say he also iced a boring-ass style which I did not often enjoy watching. I don't know, maybe that is preferable to the dumpster fire we currently have going on.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Ideally the Bruins would be able to play Brad in a 3rd line role and on special teams. It seems that is where his game is now, and he could still be effective for a long time in that role I think. Expecting him to carry the team offensively appears to be beyond him these days.

Don, are we going to start wearing the Clode-colored glasses now? Yes, Cup, but thereafter, meh. And I remember well the bitching about him around here. I have to say he also iced a boring-ass style which I did not often enjoy watching. I don't know, maybe that is preferable to the dumpster fire we currently have going on.
Hope monty does the claude movie where claude also had buzzards over his head about to get fired and whammo delivers the cup. Crossing my fingers this scenario repeats itself feels so similar right now with what's going on here lately with the team. Let's go Monty get it done I'm on his bandwagon.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Hope monty does the claude movie where claude also had buzzards over his head about to get fired and whammo delivers the cup. Crossing my fingers this scenario repeats itself feels so similar right now with what's going on here lately with the team. Let's go Monty get it done I'm on his bandwagon.
Seriously. Enough his enough.

Give me some of those shrooms.

• Haha
Reactions: KWbruin and BTO

bruins19

Aug 11, 2005
Random observations

1. The guys who are playing the poorest are among their best players -- which is encouraging to me because we know that at some point, they'll figure it out and get back to their level -- hopefully it's soon.

2. Some of the role players have been much, much better than expected. Peake, Kastelic, Koepke, Beecher, most notable.

3. There doesn't seem to be a Bruins of 22/23 or TB of 2019/20 in the east. Nobody is a world beater right now --- so they can still break out of this slump and get into a good position.

4. I'm sure it looks this way for every team who isn't playing well during a given stretch of time -- but they do seem to be on the bad side of lady luck right now. Bounces going the other way, penalties where a guy just steps on one of our players sticks, a shanked shot, hit post, etc. When it rains it pours and the B's are in a hurricane right now. Hopefully some things go their way soon.

5. I'm weirdly not concerned about this team right now. Maybe I've learned from the past two very successful regular season's not to get too high about a team in the RS because aside from making the playoffs, what happens in the RS has little bearing on what happens in April, May and June.

6. I don't know what others think -- but I'm pretty solidly holding on to the belief that, if in the 7 games between now and November 9th --- they don't get at least 9 out of the 14 points, that they may move on from Monty. That's 4-2-1 at the least --- which isn't exactly world beating.
Lots of good points in this post.

I think tomorrow nights game against arguably your biggest rival should tell the story of a JRR Tolkien novel.
Is that a hobbit reference to Gryz? ;)

Reactions: sarge88

DoubleBack

Apr 29, 2024
Why is there no player mad as hell on the bench? Why has there been no story come out about a player losing their S**T in the locker room? Why hasn't a table been turned over?

Yeah, I know "it's early." What do you think will be different 30 games in?

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
I'll be honest I probably wouldn't being over enthused either, even if I scored the goal. 1-3 in the last 4, just got shutout to team that was winless on the season and now (before the goal) we were down 4-1 and playing like shit. There's nothing to really celebrate at that moment, just more work to do in order to try and get it back to a tie.
Sheesh - what a loser mentality that is. No Bruins team of recent vintage – including last year's squad – gave up when being down by 2 goals. Why should you even be on the ice if you're not willing to work hard to tie the game?

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Seriously. Enough his enough.

Give me some of those shrooms.
Never know strange things happen in the nhl world many times. Remember the blues last place team midseason 2019 missing playoffs and turn red hot get in and win the whole darn thing. Kings down 0 and 3 in the first round 2012 and win the cup. I've seen so much weird stuff in the nhl.

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
Watching Unobstructed Views with McQuaid, Tuuka, Bergy, and Raycroft

McQuaid when goes down 3-1 looks like he just found out the killer is somewhere in the house and no internet or lights

you get a chance watch the first 10 minutes of period 2
What?
You mean you were watching the game last night and had unobstructed views of McQ, Tuk, Bergy and Raycroft, and then when the Bruins went down 3-1 McQ looked as if he just found out the killer was in the house? And if we get a chance we should (re?)watch the first 10 minutes of period #2 because . . . why, specifically? The meaning of your posts is buried (“deliberately buried?” - 2001) deep enough in the mix without us having to decode the grammar as well.

And, in any case, I think it would be more that fear would strike the heart of the killer when they found out that McQuaid was in the house.

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
I think Marchand still has top tier edge work, and can still dig the pucks out of corners effectively. My issue is his decision making when he does so. He's just completely off.
Marchand is now a bit like Recchi when we got him. No longer what he was but he's a leader, a good role model, works hard, can still PK effectively, and can occasionally give you some offense or fill in for somebody but he should be 3rd or 4th line by the looks of it. He can play there for several more years maybe, but not as top line reliable scorer.

Unless he still hasn't recovered fully from the surgeries. That is always possible but then the question is still will he ever due to his age?

Reactions: RoccoF14

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
His speed is totally gone, too. He's losing foot races he used to dominate. I agree he's still a serviceable player and excels at lots of the game still, but the shiftiness/agility has really taken a hit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad