GDT: Game 8 - SKA vs Avengard September 23 12:30 EST

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

sukimono

Mar 27, 2009
PQ
Yeah, I'm sure SKA would be highly receptive to the Habs acting as helicopter parents with regards to their kid, Ivan. He's going to be there for the season and will do what Rottenberg tells him to do, and he'll emerge unscathed.
Again, not worried one bit for Demidov. He's been playing great against men and indeed will be here in a year from now. Perhaps even before that, although those are less probable scenarios. But i wouldn't rule out the loan option just yet. Whether the SKA is receptive or not means very little, they know he's a goner. I don't think the Flyers were all too Kumbaya with the SKA organization last year either when it comes to Mitchkov's ice time management. You want what's best for the player and his development. Back-to-back 10mins toi coming off of a 4pts night is not exactly a great sign. We knew we'd probably end up in this situation, and so here we are.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andrei79

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
The negative for Demidov is really just doing really well and not getting rewarded with the ice time, that could cause frustration but he's a good kid so I'm sure he's managing it well.

Its not the worse case scenario, the frustration is from the fan side because the actual usage and tropes about treating young players don't apply here, he's impactful any time his line actually gets the puck, specifically him, he's drawing penalties at a high rate, he's creating chances at a ludicrous rate for his TOI.. he should be getting more ice time and more PP time.

There isn't a legit argument, being 18 years old is a stupid argument, no one would say Chicago was doing right by Bedard not using him on the PP and playing him 12 minutes a night.
I have faith in the habs, watching and listening etc as we move forward. I am sure they will intervene if they feel the need.
He has had a fantastic start guys, but my gut tells me the team and the league want him to stay and no way is he doing that, so this is the type of reaction he gets from his coach and teamm......so be it.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
The negative for Demidov is really just doing really well and not getting rewarded with the ice time, that could cause frustration but he's a good kid so I'm sure he's managing it well.

Its not the worse case scenario, the frustration is from the fan side because the actual usage and tropes about treating young players don't apply here, he's impactful any time his line actually gets the puck, specifically him, he's drawing penalties at a high rate, he's creating chances at a ludicrous rate for his TOI.. he should be getting more ice time and more PP time.

There isn't a legit argument, being 18 years old is a stupid argument, no one would say Chicago was doing right by Bedard not using him on the PP and playing him 12 minutes a night.

Its a serious problem for any player anywhere at any age if they are significantly affected by not being rewarded for their quality of play. Either by their coach or by not getting the points. There's no hint that Demidov is affected at all.

Chicago had zero depth, Bedard was also awful defensively (like most 18 year old NHLers) and got injured. And he's (rightly) the most hyped prospect in nearly a decade. SKA is a KHL team that has depth and Demidov isn't Bedard, There's really nothing comparable here

I still don't see that its a big deal that Demidov averaging 13 minutes a night in his first 8 pro games a big deal on the face of it. Its too small a sample. Its not bad for Demidov who has played well. Its probably bad for SKA, but they don't care. It shouldn't affect Demidov and he's still playing meaningful minutes on one of the top teams in the KHL. Hopefully he'll be able to earn more trust from Rotenberg, but either way he's getting good pro experience and the Canadiens will be able to direct his development better in a year.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Its a serious problem for any player anywhere at any age if they are significantly affected by not being rewarded for their quality of play. Either by their coach or by not getting the points. There's no hint that Demidov is affected at all.

Chicago had zero depth, Bedard was also awful defensively (like most 18 year old NHLers) and got injured. And he's (rightly) the most hyped prospect in nearly a decade. SKA is a KHL team that has depth and Demidov isn't Bedard, There's really nothing comparable here

I still don't see that its a big deal that Demidov averaging 13 minutes a night in his first 8 pro games a big deal on the face of it. Its too small a sample. Its not bad for Demidov who has played well. Its probably bad for SKA, but they don't care. It shouldn't affect Demidov and he's still playing meaningful minutes on one of the top teams in the KHL. Hopefully he'll be able to earn more trust from Rotenberg, but either way he's getting good pro experience and the Canadiens will be able to direct his development better in a year.

I personally never said it was a big deal. Just as a fan watching it, it's frustrating because it doesn't have merit to be handled the way he's been handled with how good he's been.

Personally I'm happy that he's getting 3rd line minutes in the KHL as it could be worse but still frustrated that his play demands more and Rotenberg just is too stupid to allow play to dictate what he's doing.

Outside of loaning him to the MHL and or giving him sub 10 minutes every night, there's no way he gets impacted. Kids too good and his mentality is A+

HuGo boss

Apr 7, 2022
As much as I'd like demi to get ice time a little adversity isn't a bad thing for such a young player teachs not to take ice time for granted and he has to work twice as hard as vets, long term with the right mentality (sounds like he does) could be a good thing wosrt case it's only 1 year

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021

I personally love Demidov game a lot more than Bedard. At this point in time he’s a more complete player while still being elite offensively

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad