GDT: Game 8: Sharks @ Kings 7:30pm NBCSCA

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Losing sucks. Yes, I admit that. My optimistic view is that our boys DID play better in the last half of the game. If they didn’t, that’s not good. So, they’re doing some good, playing the right way. When they do, they keep goals out and score some.
As Zetts said, they just need to win one.

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
I will say outside of thr Winnipeg game, it's a much, MUCH, better team. The boys just have to play a full 60 and that hasn't happened more than once

Bizz

Slacked for Mack
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Even though he's not wrong, he's way too early in his career to be blaming guys in the press. You're just speeding your way to the unemployment line.

I think it took him too long to call out players for being passengers. This should've been addressed 5 games ago.

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
Yeah I’d love to see a situation where he sticks around until smith and Mack take over as #1 and #2 centers and granny drops down to the 3c and Wennberg to 4c

The hate towards Ferraro is way overblown, look at who he’s paired with and they are facing teams top lines. Ferraro should at most be 4/5 and he will excel asking for and expected away to much if Ferraro he can’t carry Rutta prime Lidstrom couldn’t carry rutta
Ferraro just can't handle the puck worth a damn. That isn't going to change no matter who he's paired with or how low in the lineup he plays.

I think it took him too long to call out players for being passengers. This should've been addressed 5 games ago.
Call out all the guys you want to in private. Calling them out in the press is an expressway to losing the respect of your players.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Ferraro just can't handle the puck worth a damn. That isn't going to change no matter who he's paired with or how low in the lineup he plays.

Call out all the guys you want to in private. Calling them out in the press is an expressway to losing the respect of your players.
That's why Ferraro needs a puck-mover to even try to be legitimately valuable as a defenseman. Thompson is really their only option and he may just be flashing skill rather than figuring it out. It's why we should trade any of these defensemen if they have 2nd round pick value or better. Clear the way for guys like Cagnoni, Mukhamadullin, and Thrun a bit.

Reactions: wickedwitch

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I think Ferraro just needs to be definite lesser member of a pair. He's like so much of a leader that he wants to elevate his game and do it all for his pairing but he just doesn't have the ability to do it. Like if you got a well rounded star defenseman to pair with Ferraro, he'd be a good partner.

Reactions: TheBigDrunkPanda

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Ferraro needing to be the lesser member on a pair is what I've been saying for the last year. The problem is that I don't think he has the brain to handle tougher assignments either, so he needs to be the lesser member on a third pair, with someone who can both move the puck and play solid positional defense and allow Ferraro to work in the corners and along the boards.

Basically, Ferraro needs to be the partner to a legitimate top-four right-handed defenseman on a team that is deep enough to be able to play said partner on the third pair. How many teams have that?

He's just not very good, and will be a guy floating between bad and bubble teams for a few more years (before physical decline pushes him entirely out of the league by the time he's 32) if some team doesn't give him a four-year deal they immediately regret.

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
I think Ferraro just needs to be definite lesser member of a pair. He's like so much of a leader that he wants to elevate his game and do it all for his pairing but he just doesn't have the ability to do it. Like if you got a well rounded star defenseman to pair with Ferraro, he'd be a good partner.
If we got a well rounded star defenseman, I'd want to put someone much better than Ferraro with him.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Obviously he called out Granlund/Eklund/Toffoli as having a bad start, and he called out Kostin, but who else is he calling out?

Wennberg perhaps? Gushchin? Zetts, I guess? Can't really say Goodrow or Kunin have been inconsistent in effort. Dellandrea seems to be bringing effort every night.

So I guess the shit list (in order) is Kostin, Gushchin/Zetts, Wennberg/Granlund/Eklund/Toffoli? So like more than half the forwards.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Obviously he called out Granlund/Eklund/Toffoli as having a bad start, and he called out Kostin, but who else is he calling out?

Wennberg perhaps? Gushchin? Zetts, I guess? Can't really say Goodrow or Kunin have been inconsistent in effort. Dellandrea seems to be bringing effort every night.

So I guess the shit list (in order) is Kostin, Gushchin/Zetts, Wennberg/Granlund/Eklund/Toffoli? So like more than half the forwards.
It's hard to point to anybody specific but there were a lot of times where there's a play coming loose and you could see their guys reacting to the play coming apart while our guys don't react until the puck is actually loose. If that makes sense. Was pretty annoying to see the late reactions so I could see that be construed as "passenger" behavior.

Skeksis25

Feb 17, 2023
North Brunswick, NJ

Who did he call out by name? When he mentioned the top line, he was obviously referring to Granlund, Eklund and Toffoli, but that was in response to a question about them starting the game terribly. Don't think there was anything wrong with that.

But who did he call out specifically for being a passenger? He mentioned Kostin wasn't offering much so he got benched and if that causes Kostin to lose respect for him, oh well. Even that was in response to a question asking why he got benched. I really don't see anything wrong with what he said.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

It's pretty much everyone. Nobody is scoring 5v5 and they're pretty consistently outplayed there. That's a big part of why they were taking so many penalties lately.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Forwards will get there- especially after adding another premier pick next year, and maybe another Wennberg-esque overpay. I hope we trade Granlund for a 1st, then offer him 2/3 $8-10M to come back. Failing that we'll find a 2nd liner to take a ton of money.

Defense however, we need 2-3 more guys ahead of Ferraro. I have no hope for a #2, let alone a #1 next year, but hopefully we can run a 3/4/4/4/5/5/6 type of well rounded capable guys, with no world beaters. Enough for Askarov to play behind a bad, but NHL caliber defense. Right now we've got a 4/5/5/6/7/8/8 group:

This year
#4 Walman
#5 Ferraro
#5 Ceci
#6 Thompson
(#6 Muk)
#7 Thrun
#8 Benning
#8/9 Vlasic

Next year best case:
#3- Walman (with growth if we're lucky)
#4- UFA (viable targets: Borgen, Fabbro; Ekblad is a 2/3 guy, Petterson/Gavrikov 3/4 but both LHD)
#5- Ferraro
#5- Cap dump like Ceci (Trouba/Liljigren as targets)
#5- Muk (if we're very lucky)
#6- Thompson (maybe he grows into a 4/5, more likely regresses to 7/8)
#6- Thrun (same as Thompson but less variance)
#8- Benning (waived to AHL)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad