Goal-Day Thread Game 8: Ducks @ Coyotes - 7PM - FSAZ - Goal Day Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sm00chy

Sep 29, 2017
More poor comprehension. Look at what he sees on the ice, his vision is excellent, just needs to put it together and achieve better execution.
Some people only care about goals and assists. If that is how you are judging Hayton, then yes he hasnt done much lol... but Hayton has taken a step this year IMO. Much more responsible in his own end. He has looked much more poised in the offensive zone when he has the puck. His passing has also looked good. Hayton is trending in the right direction IMO

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
More poor comprehension. Look at what he sees on the ice, his vision is excellent, just needs to put it together and achieve better execution.
The more ice time he is getting the more comfortable he is getting. No results yet, but showing "flashes" of skill. Much more involved, especially along the boards. Not sure what his upside is, but we have to keep on feeding him ice time. RT should have done that last year.

Reactions: PuckLife

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Something I've been noticing: Hayton has usually been very quick with the puck. He gets it on and off of his stick pretty fast, generally. Watch him on the PP... he shuffles that puck right to the next guy very fast... usually.

So maybe that's one reason it doesn't seem like he's as involved to some but he's actually doing a good job at moving the puck and creating chances.

He also likes to set up near the top of the circles/slot looking to get hit for that one timer when the puck is on a rush or down low (just like the goal he scored) and he hasn't been hit there with the puck very often. If he somehow was, I'd suspect he could get some more shots/goals.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Something I've been noticing: Hayton has usually been very quick with the puck. He gets it on and off of his stick pretty fast, generally. Watch him on the PP... he shuffles that puck right to the next guy very fast... usually.

So maybe that's one reason it doesn't seem like he's as involved to some but he's actually doing a good job at moving the puck and creating chances.

He also likes to set up near the top of the circles/slot looking to get hit for that one timer when the puck is on a rush or down low (just like the goal he scored) and he hasn't been hit there with the puck very often. If he somehow was, I'd suspect he could get some more shots/goals.
Didn’t connect on one last night. I’m not worried though.

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Dvorak's contract is way better than Keller's - although the modified NTC he has starting in 2023 is a bit excessive. Nothing near the albatross that Keller's contract represents.
DVO also plays a much more important position than keller/Schmaltz, small wingers. Chych is more important as well, 3/4D with upside. Because of the positions they play, I have a lot less problem with the DVO/Chych contracts and a lot more problem with the small winger (Keller/schmaltz) contracts. Small wingers are easier to get, easiest position to replace, look at Garland, came out of no where.

Sm00chy

Sep 29, 2017
DVO also plays a much more important position than keller/Schmaltz, small wingers. Chych is more important as well, 3/4D with upside. Because of the positions they play, I have a lot less problem with the DVO/Chych contracts and a lot more problem with the small winger (Keller/schmaltz) contracts. Small wingers are easier to get, easiest position to replace, look at Garland, came out of no where.
Isn't Schmaltz playing center? And I feel he is doing a fairly decent job as a centerman. Personally I wouldn't include Schmaltz as a "small winger" mainly because he doesnt play small. He has been attacking the center of this ice much better this year and has not been shying away from the dirty areas.

Keller definitely has aspects of his game physically that he needs to address. I think actually has a very strong shot and if he would focus on shooting more often I could see him becoming a legitimate 30 goal scorer.

Reactions: DoanStopBelievin

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
He's looked good when he's in the ice but he hasn't been playing enough. 9 minutes in the 1st game against Anaheim and 13 minutes last night. I don't understand it, he looks when he is on the ice. He wasn't out of place on the 1st line to start the year.

He needs more ice time to become more comfortable. Have the game slow down for him. I'd also like him to play harder in front of the net. Overall though I'm happy with what I've seen.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Isn't Schmaltz playing center? And I feel he is doing a fairly decent job as a centerman. Personally I wouldn't include Schmaltz as a "small winger" mainly because he doesnt play small. He has been attacking the center of this ice much better this year and has not been shying away from the dirty areas.

Keller definitely has aspects of his game physically that he needs to address. I think actually has a very strong shot and if he would focus on shooting more often I could see him becoming a legitimate 30 goal scorer.
I know he plays C, but he really isn't a true C likeDVO. I actually like schmaltz and Keller as wingers but think their contracts were overpays for the easiest position/production to replace.

Reactions: PuckLife

Sm00chy

Sep 29, 2017
I know he plays C, but he really isn't a true C likeDVO. I actually like schmaltz and Keller as wingers but think their contracts were overpays for the easiest position/production to replace.
I understand that take, however he has been playing as a center and doing so effectively. Some could argue he could be an effective center in this league. I would like to see him play out the year as a center to see if he can handle a full season there, because if he can that would be an excellent piece the team has developed.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I understand that take, however he has been playing as a center and doing so effectively. Some could argue he could be an effective center in this league. I would like to see him play out the year as a center to see if he can handle a full season there, because if he can that would be an excellent piece the team has developed.
I agree with you, we should try and keep him at C, we don't have much choice. I just don't see him as a 1C or 2C on a good team, if we ever get there, but I hope it works!

Sm00chy

Sep 29, 2017
I agree with you, we should try and keep him at C, we don't have much choice. I just don't see him as a 1C or 2C on a good team, if we ever get there, but I hope it works!
If Schmaltz can stay relatively healthy for most of the year and consistently play the way he has for the entire season I would consider him a 2C. Having that with Dvorak is an excellent #2 and #3 punch up the middle.

Hayton is the wild card in all of this. If he can continue to develop and be able to handle #1C responsibilities this team could look pretty good up the middle which hasnt happened in a VERY long time.

Reactions: cobra427

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Schmaltz's play at C has really surprised me. If he can keep that up all year what a big plus for the team..

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
He's looked good when he's in the ice but he hasn't been playing enough. 9 minutes in the 1st game against Anaheim and 13 minutes last night. I don't understand it, he looks when he is on the ice. He wasn't out of place on the 1st line to start the year.

He needs more ice time to become more comfortable. Have the game slow down for him. I'd also like him to play harder in front of the net. Overall though I'm happy with what I've seen.

Context is important here. 9 minutes isn't acceptable but in a game where all four lines are rolling and his wasn't particularly great, 13 minutes with 3:28 of that coming on the PP is lightyears ahead of how Dave Tippett or Tocchet of last year would deploy him. He's playing nearly every game now and getting more comfortable. The points aren't there but that's not really his fault as he has handed out lots of juicy opportunities to linemates that haven't been converted.

I'm not worried about this player at all. He looks like and moves around like a future impact player. He's only 20. I know most people want a savage that comes in and absolutely dunks on the opposition but that's not really Hayton's style.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I've never been terribly down on Hayton. I think in the draft night chat I was the only one without a toaster.

I wanted him sent back last year. I didn't want him on the roster this year unless he was ready, and kept asking for centers (still will) because I thought asking him to be a top six C was insane, and that he should be in Tucson unless he was ready for an every day role out of camp. He hadn't shown anything to convince me he was ready.

He's absolutely looked like an NHL player to start the year. He looks good, sometimes great. We can run him along with Dvo and Brassard in the top nine lineblender. He's an NHL player who isn't hurting us. Today. That's huge.

I don't understand anyone who has soured on a 20 yr old kid who took a giant step into becoming a responsible NHL center because he hasn't put up an arbitrary amount of points in eight games. I'm happier with him than ever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad