Post-Game Talk: GAME 7 - Nashville 4 BRUINS 0

bruins cup

Jun 29, 2024
Is everyone remember Edmonton started 2 and 10 last year and ended up in game 7 of the Stanley cup final it's not how you stopped my friends it's how you finish and we got a long ways to go

• Haha
Reactions: SonnyBoy

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Team is just trash.. no reason to even sugarcoat it. Its embarrassing. Second and third line just awful. All the talent on the defense is also just awful. It’s very early in the season but I’m official in panic mode. Hard to see a way out of this mess.
The only thing that matters is making the PO. So you slot Toronto, Florida, NYR, NJ and Carolina as PO teams. So Boston has TB, Caps, NYI ,Det, Buff, OTT and Philly.

Of those teams TB has a significant edge upfront and an edge on D in their
top 3D, as I'll take Hedman, McD and Cernak over McAvoy, Lindholm and Carlo for certain. The goalie edge goes to Swayman over Vasi. Vasi continues showing
he isn't the Vasi of prior years. All things considered, lets put TB ahead of Boston.

So 2 of those remaining teams need to beat Boston out. I can see one of them doing it
for certain, most likely the Caps or NYI. So the dogfight will be the other team and Boston's remaining Atlantic Division brethern. Looks to me try will be in the PO hunt all year.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
If/when they rebuild (btw, they never will, with this owner), the current FO is the people I would have do it.
I've said it before, be ready for a decade of
"good enough to barely make the playoffs, not good enough to win a round"
Harry Sinden was considered a success here for 25 years using that mantra

Reactions: LSCII

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
I think this team way over achieved last year with respect to the seasons our forwards had.
We were blessed with great goaltending as well.
Players like Coyle/Frederic/Geekie/Zacha had career seasons, add that with Heinen and a decent season from JDB and you have six forwards that exceeded expectations.
Our 4th line has played great so far this year. They are the only line that gets a passing grade so far.
Jones is not an NHL player, should be waived.
Marchand is a year older and with his off season surgeries looks slower, should be on the third line.
Signing Tyler Johnson will not hurt this team, give him a deal.

Reactions: KillerMillerTime

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019

This is a better roster than last year but performing so much worse. That's a concern.
This isn't a better roster. On D a healthy Forbort\Gryz\Wotherspoon aren't far off Zadorov\Lohrei in the 2\3 LD rolls.

No comparison in net as last year will be better to the tune of possibly 6-8 points ninimum.

Upfront last years is better also as Marchand\DeBrusk\Heinen\ brought more than Zacha, Marchand and Frederic will.

Center will be better with Lindholm but isn't offsetting the drop in play if Marchand, no DeBrusk or Heinen. Try have all the earmarks if a WC Team.p, possible DNQ.

This is a better roster than last year but performing so much worse. That's a concern.

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
The problem is they have no idea on how to play as a team right now. Too many swing and misses on passes, breakout, clears, shots on goal.
It looks very dysfunctional. This team brought back most of the roster, it should look this bad.

bruinsfan1968

Make America United Again! Save our Democracy!
May 6, 2019
Who would've thought this team would the remedy for any team that is on a losing streak. Just play Boston, you'll be back to your winning ways. Lol

TorontLoL 67

Ekwensu Ocha
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Central Vermont
You people realize that the bruins are 500 and we've only played seven games and they are currently two points out of first place in the division yet everyone is acting like the season is over
If you're not at least a little concerned, you're not paying attention. They may be "2 points out of first place" but with this trajectory it will get much worse in a hurry.

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
Screenshot_20241023-064155-240.png

Scary of how low the plus\minus drops after the effort of the 4th line.

I'm not sure as to why people wet themselves over Frederic when he is at best a fringe NHLer.
What is he? A scorer? An enforcer? An agitator? A grinder? A pylon? What?

Coyle is horrible. Absolutely horrible. His decisions with the puck is mind boggling. How one could justify the ice time he's getting is beyond me.

Pasta looked disinterested in the last two games. Perhaps he's marveling at his big bank account now.
Marchand hustling, grinding but is playing with an inept center man.
Zacha has had the most clear chances to score in most games but either hits the post or off the glass.
Zadorov...waiting for him to throw his first actual check

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Decided to take a look at how the B's team ranks in the NHL for certain categories. Since some teams have more and some less games, I look at a per 60 basis.

Offense (for)
Shots - 23rd
Goals - 20th
xGoals - 22nd
Scoring Chances - 28th
High Danger Chances - 30th
High Danger Goals - 30th

Defense (against)
Shots - 27th
Goals - 21st
xGoals - 24th
Scoring Chances - 23rd
High Danger Chances - 25th
High Danger Goals - 28th

This team right now is just bad at both end of the ice. A guy that really need to figure shit out is Frederic. Everyone ready for this one.....he's got the 4th most TOI at 5v5 among B's forwards. Are you surprised? me too because most games I forget he's on the team.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
You can say it's too early to panic, and maybe it is, but the same things keep coming up every game (even when they win) and there's glaring problems that don't seem to have solutions.

The Jones experiment was a dud for example. He's just a penalty taking liability. Marchand looked better on the top line but Zacha became totally invisible. They play slow, stupid and make tons of mistakes. Sloppy every game and a low scoring team like this simply cannot make mistakes or play sloppy. It's suicide.

Rather than thinking about Monty extensions I think it's time to start a pool on how many more games until he's out the door and Jay Leach gets an interim shot at it. My early bet is 6 more games max unless things change drastically fast.

The off season plan was build a big team that can win in the playoffs but what they seem to have achieved is a team that won't even make the playoffs. On the bright side, we should get some good assets for Marchand and Frederic at the deadline. lol, that's right folks, we might end up as sellers!

This can all change fast, but it's a veteran team so I just don't see it happening. If this was a bunch of rookies sure, they might need time, but these guys should be better, if they could be. Very disappointing.
Zacha played well, better then #63 who did play better.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Up to 10 now - Heinen scored 2 goals tonight while Acciari, M. Johansson, Seguin, R. Smith, JVR, Bertuzzi, Hall, Donato and C. Miller ( I had no idea he was playing with Winnipeg this season or even still in the NHL ) also found the back of the net.
To be fair, there is not much on that list that would fill me with confidence if you told me we'd signed them to a contract last night.

Hall (depending on how he's faring after recent injuries) and Seguin aside.

No one else is likely going to fix what ails us right now.

Beyonder

May 20, 2024
Putting aside the .500 record not being so bad, what Edmonton did last year, silver linings, all that stuff, the bottom line question to me is: Can you look at this team and truly believe it is highly probable that they will go deep in the playoffs? Even allowing for some progress with chemistry and slumps, etc.? If you ease up on the rationalizations... is this a top team?

They are better than most teams. They should make the playoffs handily, barring key injuries. But when it comes to them being a better playoff team than recent years past, I don't see it. Even though that 2022 team bombed in the playoffs, it was clearly a much deeper, better team than the years since - I miss that team despite the huge disappointment. I will always give Sweeney full credit for going all in that season. It just didn't work out.

The good news is that the 2024-25 NHL is very watered down. I don't see a truly scary team in the league. Things could break many different ways, maybe even the Bruins way. I'm not going to call them a really good team. But maybe they're good enough in today's NHL.

Lastly... I'm just not sold on this coach. It's been long enough where an inkling of that feeling is solidifying into a conclusion.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
You people realize that the bruins are 500 and we've only played seven games and they are currently two points out of first place in the division yet everyone is acting like the season is over

They're also two points out from being tied for last in the division.

Lets look at the teams the Bruins have beaten....

MTL - That was a 1 goal game with 4 minutes left in the game. Montreal is a bottom 5 team in the league

LAK - OT win where the Bruins managed 1 goals in regulation while facing a back-up level goaltender in Darcy Kuemper

COL - Another 1 goal game 4 minutes or less to play. They were facing the worst goalie in the NHL statistically. Georgiev as a -9.9 Goals saved about expected. The next worst guy in GSAE is Connor Ingram (who held the Bruins to 1 goal in the next game) and he's a -4.7 GSAE.

You want to see the GSAE of all the goalies the Bruins have faced this year?

Georgiev: -9.9
Ingram: -4.7
Bobrovsky: -4.6
Kuemper: -1.5
Saros: -1.3
Primeau: 0.0

Georgiev, Ingram & Bobrovsky are bottom 3 in the NHL and all the goalies they've faced are bottom 35 among the 68 goalies to get NHL action this season.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Zacha played well, better then #63 who did play better.
Brad looks, at best, uncomfortable out there. I'd bet he's a little ball of pain most nights.

I suspect his mind is writing checks his body can't cash. Two seasons in a row he's had major surgeries over summer and come back after an extremely short period of rehab. That's a young man's game and usually just pushes the payment down the road anyway.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Is everyone remember Edmonton started 2 and 10 last year and ended up in game 7 of the Stanley cup final it's not how you stopped my friends it's how you finish and we got a long ways to go

Edmonton has a generational talent + another top 5 player in the world, maybe even top 3.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Is it okay to trash Frederick now?
Yes. He's played like absolute total dogshit. Embarrassing that the 4th line is doing what it is doing and he's just floating around. He couldn't even make the 4th line at this point -- if he were on a PTO for the 4th line he'd already have been shit canned.

A guy like Freddie has to play the game with the total package. He's got some decent offensive skills but it HAS to be combined with hustle, physicality, and intensity. If not, he's average at best.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Regardless of how bad they are playing I am thrilled that I do not have to see Grizz and Heinen in Bruins uniforms. I will take Kastelic and Zadorov over those two every day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad