Pre-Game Talk: Game #7 Leafs (2-3-1) vs. Canes (4-0-0), 7pm Mon

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
Pretty sure we gonna win this one in convincing fashion and be left with more questions than answers. Its the Leaf way

Reactions: nuck and stickty111

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I don't even know what I want anymore.
On one hand I want them to win (obv); but realize they aren't any closer to being a playoff ready team.

On the other hand, I want them to get throttled, shake the core...but realize, we're just staying status quo until Matthews walks.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Pretty sure we gonna win this one in convincing fashion and be left with more questions than answers. Its the Leaf way
Its pretty difficult to win this type of club such as the hurriganez sire in a "convincing" way. They are so much solid and better in every area of the game. Therefore, that type of winning is not possible to do. At all. We could win, but only by a small margin and through errors and real close tighty situations. That's the only way, we might win tomorrow sire.

We gon have to see if we will be able to fight in this one and how hard and much do "they" want it sire. Interesting to see, or not.

Reactions: NinjaKick

On-the-Fly

Feb 6, 2007
Has anyone heard if 34 is going to get some runway with 88 and 58, or is 20 back up to LW1?

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
a win would be nice, but just go out there and work hard show that you actually give a shit... last night was a disgrace...

Reactions: D00bis

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Frederik Andersen is back on his game after a rough season with the Leafs. The Hurricanes pretended it never happened | The Star

andersen_save.jpg

Frederik Andersen had the worst season of his five as a Leaf, with injuries a big factor. He lost his job to Jack Campbell because of them.

“The pandemic was tough on everyone, but I think that that year was extremely difficult for me personally,” said Andersen, who had career worsts in goals-against average (2.96) and save percentage (.895).

His career resumé, however, is impressive: 230 wins vs. 100 losses and 48 loser points, with a 2.64 average and .916 save mark.

“I know it wasn’t a great year for him, but if you look at how he played over the last four or five years you get a lot of good things coming out of that,” said Waddell. “We just felt he was a good fit with our defence, with our team, the way we played.”

And he’s six-foot-four and 238 pounds in a league that increasingly values big goaltenders. Waddell’s Canes lost in the second round of the playoffs last year to Tampa Bay with goalie Andrei Vasilevskiy, six-foot-three and 225 pounds. Robin Lehner of the Golden Knights and Anthony Stolarz of the Ducks are the only netminders who weigh more than Andersen.

“We love the size,” said Waddell. “We haven’t had big goalies in the past. So we noticed that last year, we played Tampa in the second round, their goalie is a monster. So we made a decision early this summer as a team that we were going to make changes, try to do something different with our goaltending."

“We had a lot of guys on the list — not only free agents, but through trades. But at the end of the day, we felt Freddie was one of our best (options) and that’s why we went that direction.”

The Canes also signed Antti Raanta to back up Andersen. The Leafs would go on to sign Petr Mrázek, who played for Carolina last season, to form a tandem with Campbell. Mrázek is out with a groin injury, but travelling on this trip.

So, Monday’s night’s game could well be billed as a grudge match for Andersen against Campbell and his old team. After all, Andersen seemed to be painted as the villain in the Amazon series “All or Nothing” — the subject of a shouting match between coach Sheldon Keefe and goalie coach Steve Briere, and his health status questioned at one point by assistant coach Paul MacLean.

“I feel like shows like that would tend to play a little bit on the drama and then over-exaggerate that stuff a little bit,” said Andersen. “I don’t think there was any (acrimony) on my end. I was doing what I could to get healthy. It was a frustrating period for me personally, not being able to figure out what was wrong.”

Healthy now and off to a good start in Carolina, he’s too nice a guy to say he’s holding a grudge.

“You play them as hard as you can and hopefully it plays out,” the goalie said. “But I think overall, I enjoyed my time there."

“It’s an amazing city with amazing people. I have a lot of friendships that I made there and that I’m going to cherish for a long time. We had some success, but not obviously the ultimate success.”

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Mrazek vs Andersen would have been interesting for obvious reasons. Toronto trying to halt Carolina's perfect run in an attempt to get themselves back on the winning track works just as well for me.

Mar 12, 2009
If this isn't at least a fun game to watch, probably checking out for a bit. It's not just that they've been losing, they just aren't fun to watch right now period.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Petr Mrazek (b.1992) Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

For perspective ...

That team is pretty good. ;-)

I get what you're saying Ulf.

Was also told by a few here that the Leafs have the best defence in the league, after their one-year layover in the mighty North Division.

I wonder where those posters are and what they think now?

Carolina coach seems to be implying that their defence is better and would better insulate Freddie than Toronto's...

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
The Canes are a hard working, fast team. They have a lot skill and good depth and well coached.
Their weakness is in goal which will probably keep them from any playoff success, but they’ll be a solid regular season team.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
I am not going to lie, a part of me wants to see Freddie shut us out.
Asked one of my buddies if it makes me a bad person to wanna see this happen just to see leafs nation burn more just for entertainment reasons...

But then go back to cheering on wins after.

Reactions: Rogue Leader

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I get what you're saying Ulf.

Was also told by a few here that the Leafs have the best defence in the league, after their one-year layover in the mighty North Division.

I wonder where those posters are and what they think now?

Carolina coach seems to be implying that their defence is better and would better insulate Freddie than Toronto's...

Except, it isn't all the Canadian teams struggling, just Ottawa, Toronto, and Montreal. And we know why Montreal without Price, Weber and Byron.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
This is going to be an interesting game to see how Leafs respond after their embarrassing beating they took on Saturday night by Pens farm team, and going up against their former #1 goalie Andersen who was moved out because he was considered washed up.

So many underlying stories to follow to see if Matthews and Marner finally light the goal lamp and get out of their slumps and Leafs start righting the ship again as their core 4 show up and ball out in this one.

We could have so many possible outcomes here where a pissed off Leafs team extracts revenge on the Canes tonight in a blowout win, or Andersen can extract his own revenge and lock down and frustrate Leafs offense and everything in-between in a Campbell vs Andersen head to head battle.

Reactions: CDN24

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Except, it isn't all the Canadian teams struggling, just Ottawa, Toronto, and Montreal. And we know why Montreal without Price, Weber and Byron.
It’s funny but the playoff teams are almost set in the west. Colorado, and maybe LA, will move into a position but mostly they’ll be jockeying for their positions.

axman15

Sep 6, 2012
Toronto
Remember a few years back when Matthews had a goal disallowed vs Colorado, got pissed, and went back and scored on his next shift? We need that level of intensity tonight across the board.

upload_2021-10-25_10-0-57.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad