Post-Game Talk: GAME 63 - A rare third period meltdown - Oilers 3 BRUINS 2 F

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Team was due a loss. Flat in the second half tonight, it happens. Shrug it off and bounce back stronger in the next one.

There's not too much left to analyse with this team. The same weaknesses and issues, limited though they are, tend to present themselves each rare time they play poorly. Enough there to keep the coaches busy. Hopefully they can be addressed before the playoffs.

Like some others here, I'd like to see more of Lauko down the stretch. Greer battles and has a place but I like seeing some more speed in our bottom 6.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I usually see the good in Coyle but his bailing on two shots in the slot was pathetic. Luckily for him he wasn't alone on the shit list tonight. Rare bad game for the Bruins.
I'm not surprised ESPN didn't catch it, because they just don't know hockey. But no fan who watched the game should have missed that the puck was knocked off Coyle's stick on the second instance. He didn't "bail" on the shot.

Reactions: KWbruin

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
They respected the Edmonton offense too much and didn't attack them in the 3rd (until the very end) unlike most games this year when they have dominated and driven up scores late. Not a great game but hopefully a reminder to them that you need to show up every night in this league.

Not impressed with Bertuzzi tonight and Hathaway isn't really wowing me either. Both of those guys have to be more physical. We were outhit by Edmonton, and that's just wrong.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I usually see the good in Coyle but his bailing on two shots in the slot was pathetic. Luckily for him he wasn't alone on the shit list tonight. Rare bad game for the Bruins.
Just in.

sigh. You can't win them all...

The Bs were off tonight. Coyle had a rough night. Bergy had a bad play (doesn't happen often). Brad was bent over in pain on the bench. He is playing hurt...REST HIM.

On to the next game.

bruins19

Aug 11, 2005
Seems like when they play fast skilled teams and they keep taking/playing the puck back into their own zone it comes back to haunt them! 2 gift goals tonight and several times they were trapped in their zone due to the above tactic. Saw at least 3 times per period where they had the puck within 2 feet of the blueline and failed to get it out. This crap will kill them in the POs.
Did not score enough goals to maintain a cushion and the mistakes we made ended up in the back of our net. Threw away a very winnable game.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Lauko 12 nhl games and 5 nhl points age 22 impressive . NOW PUT HIM IN!
Yeah I don't understand why the Bruins yanked Lauko out of the lineup right after he had a great game against Buffalo with two goals

I'd like to see him play against some of the faster teams because the kid can skate and is always hustling

Last edited:

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Just caught the highlights; was disappointed I wouldn't be able to see McDavid in Boston, but in hindsight this was a good game to miss.

One positive, the reconfigured PP2 with Lindholm, McAvoy, and Bertuzzi net front looked good on the disallowed goal.

This game reminded me of the Washington game after the bye; the team just wasn't in sync after several days off.

Would've liked to at least get a point, as losing home ice to Carolina is still possible and could have unwelcome repercussions come playoffs.

Reactions: BTO and Gordoff

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Lauko absolutely should be in for Greer every 8 out of 10 games IMO.

Clifton shouldn't be the scratch either. I get Monty is rotating the bottom 3 guys as scratches but I think more often than not it should be one of Forbort or Gryz

Reactions: bobbyorr04 and BMC

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
They were on a ten game winning streak, had 4 days off, playing a team who want to prove something after the Bruins beat them a couple of weeks ago. Keeping McDavid to one shot is amazing. Honestly can't imagine we are going unbeaten until the end of the season...lol

I understand why Linus wouldn't want to play (if this is the reason) - lost one of his dogs and I feel so bad that he just got his new mask that has both dogs on it. I hope he doesn't feel it it unlucky now. @Ladyfan did he have that mask at the game or could you not see? Just curious.

On to the Wings!

Reactions: Bfan14

Bfan14

Jan 24, 2023
That whole line was very off. Same goes for the 1st line

We were bound to have a stinker of a game eventually

Move onto the next one. Only a concern if this keeps happening

Reactions: Ladyfan

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
The change I want to that rule is if the defending team touches puck at any time with control and turn it back over then it's game on.It was offside but going back over 30 + seconds in time and resetting clocks is a bummer for fans of any team it happens to.The other side of coin crowd will be offside is offside :dunno:

It is what it is with the rule. I don't want to be debating what constitutes "possesion" and then having replays on whether they got it within 30 seconds. It sucked it took a goal off the board but Zacha was offside.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Lauko 12 nhl games and 5 nhl points age 22 impressive . NOW PUT HIM IN!

Let's see them face hall and foligno with the rest of our firepower plus ullmark starting.

They faced Boston in Edmonton with Foligno but no Hall\Ullmark while Edmonton
didn't have Kane and Ekholm. The major difference between these teams right now
is Ullmark.

Oh hey I'm not saying the Oilers are on the same level, don't get me wrong. But I think it should be a good confidence booster for them, because even without a full lineup, the Bruins are a real good team.

You didn't have Kane and Ekholm while Boston had Foligno (1G). Fix your goalies and you are a threat to make SCF.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad