ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
dang what a great game to miss

Incredible effort by the bottom 6

Solid game by Tarasov

A bit disappointing Fantilli line did not have any production but it looks like they had their chances

Reactions: thebus88

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
A bit disappointing Fantilli line did not have any production but it looks like they had their chances

They were our worst line but if the top line keeps looking good, which it did tonight, then I think we can afford to give the second line time figure things out together.

Fantilli could use some video of Chinakhov and Marchenko working together, and how they follow each other and look for each other. He needs to do an impression. I really think Fantilli has all the basic tools to be a complete player but he's used to being a one man attack, he still has to learn how to attack in a group.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
They were our worst line but if the top line keeps looking good, which it did tonight, then I think we can afford to give the second line time figure things out together.

Fantilli could use some video of Chinakhov and Marchenko working together, and how they follow each other and look for each other. He needs to do an impression. I really think Fantilli has all the basic tools to be a complete player but he's used to being a one man attack, he still has to learn how to attack in a group.
Hopefully it clicks faster than the 4 years it took MacKinnon. MacK was good but when it all clicked... oh boy. Could be similar for Fantilli. Fantilli just looks like a kid trying to do too much right now

SteelCityCannon

Mar 25, 2017
Hopefully it clicks faster than the 4 years it took MacKinnon. MacK was good but when it all clicked... oh boy. Could be similar for Fantilli. Fantilli just looks like a kid trying to do too much right now
I agree. He tries to win like he would at Michigan. You're not just going to walk through NHLers. He's a 20 year old making 20 year old mistakes. To be expected. He'll gel with someone soon.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I know Dean's trying to win games. You can't tell coaches and players that, because of the unique circumstances, we are looking at a growth year where we don't compete and that's OK.

But... Johnny was killed, Laine was traded (a net positive in my book but no forward came in return), three regular forwards are injured and we're skating at least two guys that under other circumstances we wouldn't have signed.

There are going to be lines that don't work. There are going to be deficiencies. I don't think there are a whole lot of solutions game-to-game. If the guys are working hard and doing what coaches are asking of them, I'm good with it.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Sillinger at wing, Danforth at center? More of that, please.

Straight into my veins, please. That one switch feels like a big upgrade.

In the postgame interview Dean said it came about because he asked Danforth, earlier this season, what he preferred to play.

I wonder if he might ask Voronkov that too when he comes back. :D

I know Dean's trying to win games. You can't tell coaches and players that, because of the unique circumstances, we are looking at a growth year where we don't compete and that's OK.

But... Johnny was killed, Laine was traded (a net positive in my book but no forward came in return), three regular forwards are injured and we're skating at least two guys that under other circumstances we wouldn't have signed.

There are going to be lines that don't work. There are going to be deficiencies. I don't think there are a whole lot of solutions game-to-game. If the guys are working hard and doing what coaches are asking of them, I'm good with it.

I was expecting that to be my attitude, and maybe it will end up having to be my attitude as we start to have problems later in the year. But so far Dean's managed to make lines that work out of seemingly nothing. He's raising our expectations. And credit of course to guys like Danforth and Olivier that are playing well beyond what you would expect even from good coaching.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I was expecting that to be my attitude, and maybe it will end up having to be my attitude as we start to have problems later in the year. But so far Dean's managed to make lines that work out of seemingly nothing. He's raising our expectations. And credit of course to guys like Danforth and Olivier that are playing well beyond what you would expect even from good coaching.
I'm good with expectations and maybe working the roster will just try and be a thing where we're trying to use a player who's playing well to jump start someone else (i.e. Chinny and Fantilli). But I feel like we'll always be creating a deficiency somewhere else.

Ultimately, I've just decided that there will be some thing for which there are no solutions, at least until we start getting some players back, and maybe even then.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I'd like to see Danforth slotted at center-but never higher than the 2nd line.

I watched him in Cincinnati and he was an outstanding offensive player for the Cyclones who had great goal scoring ability and was a fairly decent passer. He (I think) was 3rd in goals scored in the KHL one year-and that's a very good (and low scoring) league. The on-ice 5 hole goal last night was a "goal scorer's" goal.

He's got great ability in the corners and shows exceptional work ethic in puck battles. While that will always be his best strength in the NHL, I think that he can be utilized more efficiently if he's allowed by the coaching staff to concentrate a bit more on his scoring abilities. I don't think that a 50 points production level is out of the question.

Given the horrible tragedy of #13 and the injuries to Boone and KJ, it seems like a "why not" experiment.

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio

I can’t like this enough

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad