GDT: Game 57|Yotes vs Avs|02/16/2015 7PM MT|Will the real Avs please show up

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Fact of the matter is, dominant win or not, this is still a team that is very likely to miss the playoffs. A team that has not been consistently good at anything outside of goaltending at any point this season. Frankly this has been as unbearable to watch as last season was thrilling. If people have a problem with me remaining negative even after a dominant win, I don't know what to tell you. It's not like the Avs are suddenly a great team, they just happened to play good hockey tonight against a truly horrible team in the midst of a full tank with an AHL-caliber goalie between the pipes. Good for them, but that hasn't erased this team's previous missteps. I'm not sure why people are surprised, or even annoyed by any negativity. If it was last season when the Avs were winning big, then I could see that. This year, however, has been a long, painful slog. We as fans continue to watch because that's what we are--fans. Doesn't mean we have to like it, and we're allowed to say so.

El_Loco_Avs

Jul 6, 2003
The Netherlands
Fact of the matter is, dominant win or not, this is still a team that is very likely to miss the playoffs. A team that has not been consistently good at anything outside of goaltending at any point this season. Frankly this has been as unbearable to watch as last season was thrilling. If people have a problem with me remaining negative even after a dominant win, I don't know what to tell you. It's not like the Avs are suddenly a great team, they just happened to play good hockey tonight against a truly horrible team in the midst of a full tank with an AHL-caliber goalie between the pipes. Good for them, but that hasn't erased this team's previous missteps. I'm not sure why people are surprised, or even annoyed by any negativity. If it was last season when the Avs were winning big, then I could see that. This year, however, has been a long, painful slog. We as fans continue to watch because that's what we are--fans. Doesn't mean we have to like it, and we're allowed to say so.

Do people even remember the season before last? At least we're above .500 now. It's frustrating after last seasons absurdity raised our expectations so much, but it's not like we're Buffalo or something. We're just... unbalanced.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
If this were an NFL game and we were talking about QBs instead of goalies, there'd be nothing unusual about it. However, it's the NHL, and you don't see this sort of thing happen very often. I'm glad he did it, but I don't have a problem with some who are characterizing it as being a tad brazen. That's kind of what we were all hoping for when Roy signed on the dotted line, no?

Also, hockey culture is so stodgy and traditional, even moreso than most other sports, that even a goalie going to high five his teammates after scoring a goal is characterized as "disrespectful," I could see this move being perceived as "cocky." I'm sure Tippett was a bit annoyed afterwards, but I don't really care, and neither does Roy.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
If this were an NFL game and we were talking about QBs instead of goalies, there'd be nothing unusual about it. However, it's the NHL, and you don't see this sort of thing happen very often. I'm glad he did it, but I don't have a problem with some who are characterizing it as being a tad brazen. That's kind of what we were all hoping for when Roy signed on the dotted line, no?

Again, read back through the comments, a few select people were completely losing their **** over the move. Not just saying "Lol, that's cocky!"

MonsterMack

He did the Mack, He did the monster Mack
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2013
Arvada, CO

You're not sure why people are annoyed by any negativity? Really?

And of course you can voice your displeasure. And in turn other posters can post their displeasure of your displeasure. Which is why this board has seemingly become a cycle of negativity.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Yeah but why risk it anyway? What's one period of rest gonna do for Varly?

We have a pretty special situation here where we have a back up that we dont trust at all. And Roy hasn't given up on the playoffs. If he sees a golden oppurtunity to rest Varly, even for a little bit, he'll take it. It isn't hard to see the logic behind it.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
I think Roy has done a fine, if not excellent job coaching the team. If any of you guys didn't think that this team was deeply flawed from the beginning of the season... I don't know what to tell you. I have a problem with the team that management has put together, but I actually think they perform pretty well on the ice for what they are.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Iginla still has only started 27.7% of his shifts in the offensive zone. The lowest by all our forwards. I am stunned by the production he has put up in the role he has been put in. He has truly had a fantastic season.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Iginla still has only started 27.7% of his shifts in the offensive zone. The lowest by all our forwards. I am stunned by the production he has put up in the role he has been put in. He has truly had a fantastic season.

I don't know if I'd go that far. He's looked as lackluster as most of our top 6 most of the time imo.

He has done better in the last couple months. I'll give you that.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Again, read back through the comments, a few select people were completely losing their **** over the move. Not just saying "Lol, that's cocky!"

As I said, I didn't read the earlier comments, and don't intend to, just going by what RobinDIF was saying and frankly I don't have a problem with what he said.

And again, it was a pretty unusual move. I liked it, but it's pretty unusual. Not surprised that it caught a lot of us off-guard and some may have reacted negatively. Given Berra's truly awful track record this season you can't be entirely shocked here. But whatever, I think it was a bit of a cocky move, and I liked it for that reason. It wasn't stupid, or arrogant, in fact there was logic behind it, but yes, a bit brazen.

You're not sure why people are annoyed by any negativity? Really?

And of course you can voice your displeasure. And in turn other posters can post their displeasure of your displeasure. Which is why this board has seemingly become a cycle of negativity.

It gets that way in a fan forum. People are bouncing around taking shots and high-fiving one another when things are going great, and the opposite happens when the team struggles. I won't sit here and say it doesn't get out of hand, but that's kinda what "fanaticism" is about, right?

But I'll agree, the negative comments about negative comments are kind of a self-perpetuating monster, and THAT, I will admit, is quite annoying.

Anyway, I realize I am part of this cycle right now as well, so I'm taking my exit from this thread.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
I don't know if I'd go that far. He's looked as lackluster as most of our top 6 most of the time imo.

He has done better in the last couple months. I'll give you that.

But you have to consider the circumstances. Personally I never thought Jarome was going to produce like this in the role Roy has put him in. He has been sheltered a lot the last few years and just been put in a role to produce offensively. Here he has been given a two way role and still produced above expectations. At least the expectations I had on him. Don't forget how much he has been moved around as well. Not the same consistency as he had in Boston.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
Great win tonight. The fact that this thread is imploding is pathetic. If you all scare off one of the few cool mods on hf with your ****ed up masochistic personality disorders this place is gonna really turn into a big ol steaming pile of poo. Get a grip on yourselves. Maybe Persue therapy or better support structures in your lives... Just a thought

member 116861

Great couple of games by Paul Carey. I hope he stays and keeps the scrubs honest.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Read the whole GDT, the whole thing never had anything to do with being cocky or not. Who cares if it's cocky? And of course Roy is known for those sorts of things.

I'm not going to get into the whole "negativity" thing but I really question at what point does it become trolling because that line has been blurred quite a bit. If certain remarks or at least at certain frequency wouldn't be accepted from someone outside coming here, at what point does it become "friendly" trolling? Because trolls aren't granted free license to their right to "freedom of speech" within a community so let's not pretend there are no boundaries.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Berra played well. Hard to do anything about that goal. I can't decide if Roy playing him in the third is a sign he trusts him a little bit more or if he still doesn't trust him.

Due to Avs blocking 17 shots and Arizona only blocking 4, Avs outshot them 34-17 and only won the corsi by 49-47. Most of it was in the third though, when Avs weren't pushing as hard as in the first two periods.

18Mike18

Aug 3, 2007
BC
Great to see this win, No idea what happened with Varly. But if Roy decided to rest him. im all for that. let berra have some action with no pressue. Avs just coasted. this was nice.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Lol at the arguments on this board. Some posters here actually read through the threads to quote anybody who brings any negativity and ends up bringing more without bringing any real discussion about our team outside of when somebody says something bad about their favorite players.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
First time this forum has surprised me in a long time. That much complaining over a move no one else really cares about? I'm pretty sure Tippet didn't even care. Varly is a flexible goalie that does well when he has a ton of shots. With so few shots, it's actually a risk if Varly needs to make a big save for some reason. Plus I think it's been mentioned above. Varly is going to be playing a lot of games so why not give him some rest and have Berra get some playing time.

This isn't Roy putting Berra in after being outshot 30-5 and up by two goals. Cocky Roy was a goalie. Our coach isn't cocky. This was a more calculated move. Kind of like Roy on opening night against the Ducks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad