GDT: Game 57|Yotes vs Avs|02/16/2015 7PM MT|Will the real Avs please show up

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
It is like some of you are watching hockey for the first time.

Like what the hell are you even talking about? Cocky? What?

You don't think it's a cocky move from a coach to switch to your back up after two periods because you feel the other teams sucks so much than you might as well rest your starter? Seriously?

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
It seems like everyone is forgetting that we came within an inch of it being a 5-3 game with plenty of time left.

I maintain that if we had a normal backup who plays consistently then I'm perfectly fine with the move, but Berra hadn't seen NHL action since November. Not the best decision when you need all the points you can get.
No one is forgetting it, there's just no point in bringing it up because IT DIDN'T GO IN. There's a lot of close calls in NHL games. The Avs could have been up a lot more in that game.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I never watched a NFL game in my life. So I don't know what you are talking about.

I have never seen that happen in any hockey league though, you taking out your starter after two periods to rest him because the other team just flat out sucks. I have thought about it before and wondered why it doesn't happen more often though.

And I hate teams who send out there 4th line to the PP at the game to "not mock" the team who are down by five goals. It's not their problem the other team sucks.

You usually don't see it with NHL goalies so it was a bit odd but it does happen in every sport. NFL teams go to the 2nd string QB and pull some starters. NBA teams also pull their starters and usually send some younger guys in to finish the game. Not a big deal IMO.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
It seems like everyone is forgetting that we came within an inch of it being a 5-3 game with plenty of time left.

I maintain that if we had a normal backup who plays consistently then I'm perfectly fine with the move, but Berra hadn't seen NHL action since November. Not the best decision when you need all the points you can get.

Are you aware that the original goalie can come back in? So if it gets to 5-3 or 5-4 he can put Varly back in. It's not like he sent Varly home after the second period.

Here is another scenario, say Varly gets hurt in the third period of a blowout. Then Roy is an idiot for leaving Varly in a game he didn't need to keep playing in.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
The management is getting less heat than ever on hfboards. What's the problem? Everyone was hated more than these two.

That's complete bulls**t.

Maybe "less heat" spread around, but the same old crowd is excessively incessant with the whining in numerous threads every damn day.

Sacco didn't get this much hate 1.5 years into his tenure, yet you and everyone who complains non-stop expected Roy/Sakic to have the magic fix 1.5 years into their tenure? Sounds like people are holding Roy/Sakic to a higher standard either because they didn't want them in the first place (and therefore are looking for anything to throw back at them) or just believe that because they were legendary Avalanche figures that they should have fixed the horrific problems with this franchise.

It doesn't work that way.

Have they made bad decisions? Yeah, but what management group doesn't? Steve Yzerman traded for Lindback and gave up TWO 2nd round picks and a 3rd on top of a roster player. Ken Holland gave a *********G 1st ROUND DRAFT PICK for Kyle Quincey.

But yeah, it's the people who want to be patient with a new management group who are wrong :shakehead

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
You usually don't see it with NHL goalies so it was a bit odd but it does happen in every sport. NFL teams go to the 2nd string QB and pull some starters. NBA teams also pull their starters and usually send some younger guys in to finish the game. Not a big deal IMO.

Nah win doesn't count

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Are you aware that the original goalie can come back in? So if it gets to 5-3 or 5-4 he can put Varly back in. It's not like he sent Varly home after the second period.

Here is another scenario, say Varly gets hurt in the third period of a blowout. Then Roy is an idiot for leaving Varly in a game he didn't need to keep playing in.

Do you really think anyone would have said "Why didn't he go to his back up in the 3rd period when the game was already won?" when it's a move that probably hasn't happened in the NHL for a decade?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Do you really think anyone would have said "Why didn't he go to his back up in the 3rd period when the game was already won?" when it's a move that probably hasn't happened in the NHL for a decade?

Are you serious? Have you met this fanbase?

Roy would get blamed if Varly got hurt in the first minute of the LA game. He certainly would get blamed if Varly got injured in a blowout. Come on.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I swear, this is the only fanbase that argues and bickers with each other after a solid win :laugh:

Every thread consists of people just taking shots at each other now. It's not even a good argument/debate about something. Just straight insults and condescending posts out of nowhere.

People are way too concerned with other posters and the "fanbase".

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Every thread consists of people just taking shots at each other now. It's not even a good argument/debate about something. Just straight insults and condescending posts out of nowhere.

Yeah, I can't disagree with that...its getting pretty ridiculous. We should just enjoy a nice win and look towards the next game to attempt to get back into the playoff race.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
You don't think it's a cocky move from a coach to switch to your back up after two periods because you feel the other teams sucks so much than you might as well rest your starter? Seriously?

It doesn't matter what I think. It isn't a cocky move. It is a logical move. And a smart move to manage your goaltender and the rest of the season.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

I agree, I hate it too. It starts with certain posters' irrational and incessant whining that puts everyone on the defensive. It's "friendly" trolling is all it is.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
That's complete bulls**t.

Maybe "less heat" spread around, but the same old crowd is excessively incessant with the whining in numerous threads every damn day.

Sacco didn't get this much hate 1.5 years into his tenure, yet you and everyone who complains non-stop expected Roy/Sakic to have the magic fix 1.5 years into their tenure? Sounds like people are holding Roy/Sakic to a higher standard either because they didn't want them in the first place (and therefore are looking for anything to throw back at them) or just believe that because they were legendary Avalanche figures that they should have fixed the horrific problems with this franchise.

It doesn't work that way.

Have they made bad decisions? Yeah, but what management group doesn't? Steve Yzerman traded for Lindback and gave up TWO 2nd round picks and a 3rd on top of a roster player. Ken Holland gave a *********G 1st ROUND DRAFT PICK for Kyle Quincey.

But yeah, it's the people who want to be patient with a new management group who are wrong :shakehead
You really need to calm down.

First of all, Holland and Yzerman get heat on their boards as well. Second. The people who defend Roy and Sakic anytime someone even questions a single move from him, like the Berra move tonight, are outnumbering the rest of the boards BIG TIME.

And what do you expect? Just because Roy and Sakic are darlings to the Avs nation doesn't mean that everyone is gonna close their eyes to the fact that a team packed with young talent who are entering their prime and owners who are spending money to cap once again are 12th in the conference after trading draft picks for veterans as well. Do you expect NO ONE to talk about the managements decisions in negative way?

Regardless if you think it's BS or not, you must understand that the discussion is going to take place, regardless what the names are of the two people in charge.

And I know you think it's bs that Roy and Sakic gets some slack for being Roy and Sakic. But personally I think it's ridiculous to even deny that. The average fan and this board would be flaming a lot more over some of their decisions if their idols wasn't in charge. Why wouldn't it be like that?

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Yeah...

We have a fine coach already.

This forum :facepalm:

Patrick Roy will never win with some people here. It's those people who like to say "If this were anyone but Roy, the whole Avs fanbase would be demanding firings", those people are completely wrong.

Those people are so far in the other extreme that they're not willing to actually HAVE any "give" when it comes to Roy. Like they expected him to just solve all the problems in the 1.5 years he was here. Let's completely ignore the fact that the Avs HAVE been trying to fix the Defense (trading for them is hard and the Avs couldn't make people come here last year), they ***** & moan about the Stastny situation--but if they would have traded him for a s**t package at the Deadline last year, Sakic & Roy would have been crucified here.

You guys are the reason I want to quit doing this. You make it too difficult with the incessant whining.

No one is saying we expect Roy to fix everything in 1.5 years, but he does make a lot of questionable coaching decisions.

Having said that, I wouldn't want Bob Hartley coaching the Avs like some do, I'd love to have someone like Babcock

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
None of them are correct.

Well, no, I think it's safe to say Roy is crazy, that goes back to his playing days. :laugh:

Good win against a really, really bad team. No complaints. And hey, Roy gave Berra some reps, plenty to like here.

I'm sure I'll be back to my grumpy ways soon enough, but it's nice for the team to get a laugher in there. But holy crap is Arizona bad.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Are you serious? Have you met this fanbase?

Roy would get blamed if Varly got hurt in the first minute of the LA game. He certainly would get blamed if Varly got injured in a blowout. Come on.

I don't buy it at all. You know it isn't true as well.

No one would blame Roy for not doing a move that hasn't been done in the NHL for as long as I've followed it.

Don't act like Roy is some scapegoat for everything that goes wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad