GDT: GAME 55 | Golden Knights @ Senators | Last Minute Edition | Sat Feb 24 7PM, 2024 | SN1, TVAS

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Kind of annoying seeing sens fans pumping tires on the main boards because of a winning streak after we lost the season AGAIN.

Like, didn't we realize we sucked this year and the season was done in November/December. Haven't we realized this team always does better in the second half once the pressure is off?

It's been several years of this team winning games when they're well below 500 only to have them hit 500 and then lose a bunch of games because the pressure is on. Same thing this year, but everyone is falling for it AGAIN.

Why do you guys keep doing this to yourselves?

Just wait until they clinch a playoff spot and then go nuts.

It's like humility and humbleness are non existent.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I’d be open to bringing him back for sure but if he isn’t ready to commit before the deadline you have to be ruthless and move him for picks/prospects. The pool is way to shallow and needs all the help it can get.

It would not be ruthless, as he has a complete NMC, and if asked to waive it, to be sent to a contender he would like to join, it would be 100% his choice to be moved….. he is an impending UFA, and moving to a contender and having a deep playoff run will only up his value come July 1st.

keeping him with Ottawa, by turning down all trade offers for him, and not communicating the possibility of a trade to a contender to him, in the hopes his UFA price tag is still within the Sens budget come July 1st, would be ruthless, and would probably turn him against resigning in Ottawa.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Weird analysis.

They were coached by a hack for 5 years and are now in the process of both unlearning a bad system and learning how to play a proper one. Do you expect zero bumps in the road? It has little to do with character and more with being taught how to play the game at the NHL level for the first time(at least for the young core players).

Not a weird analysis. He was right that we don't show up against weak teams.

What's our record against non playoff teams? If we were good, we would have almsot twice as many wins as losses.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Totally agree. If teams aren’t offering a 1st just keep him. He is a legit good player

Again, Tarasenko might want to be moved to a contender, of his choice, to increase his value in the UFA market come July 1st.
Whomever he signs with will most likely be his last (retirement) contract, and if the Sens deny him the opportunity to move to a contender, how do you think this affects the relations they’ve made since he’s been here?

If he wants to be moved, he will ask the rookie GM to entertain the offers, and let him know the possibilities….and He will decide to waive his NMC to go to the team of his choice….. Ottawa gets assets in return, they depart on good terms, and perhaps the relationship is something he considers if they make him an offer on July first.

Reactions: LiseL

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Kind of annoying seeing sens fans pumping tires on the main boards because of a winning streak after we lost the season AGAIN.

Like, didn't we realize we sucked this year and the season was done in November/December. Haven't we realized this team always does better in the second half once the pressure is off?

It's been several years of this team winning games when they're well below 500 only to have them hit 500 and then lose a bunch of games because the pressure is on. Same thing this year, but everyone is falling for it AGAIN.

Why do you guys keep doing this to yourselves?

Just wait until they clinch a playoff spot and then go nuts.

It's like humility and humbleness are non existent.

I kinda remember that this has team done the same for a couple of seasons? Play well after they are out. Lose easy games, win big games.... lose road trips.

It is really not anything to celebrate yet... especially taunt the main boards about.

Reactions: bert and maclean

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
It would not be ruthless, as he has a complete NMC, and if asked to waive it, to be sent to a contender he would like to join, it would be 100% his choice to be moved….. he is an impending UFA, and moving to a contender and having a deep playoff run will only up his value come July 1st.

keeping him with Ottawa, by turning down all trade offers for him, and not communicating the possibility of a trade to a contender to him, in the hopes his UFA price tag is still within the Sens budget come July 1st, would be ruthless, and would probably turn him against resigning in Ottawa.

Yeah everyone knows he’s UFA and has an NMC.

I’m obviously not saying trade him to Columbus. They wouldn’t have interest in a UFA anyway.

I’m saying the sens can’t get caught up in emotion/optimism and bank on hope that he will extend later on.

They have to be ruthless and set aside emotion to make the logical choice, the one which increases odds of long term success, which is to trade him.

Reactions: DrEasy

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I mostly agree with you, but I don't think they are unlearning a bad system....

.. They never had a system (outside of "being hard on pucks") so the whole system thing is new to many on this team.

Love this team now though

I mean, they have to have had a system.

I had a system playing competitive A hockey at 15.

They had a system. It just wasn't good or being followed properly is my guess.

Reactions: Bileur

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I kinda remember that this has team done the same for a couple of seasons? Play well after they are out. Lose easy games, win big games.... lose road trips.

It is really not anything to celebrate yet... especially taunt the main boards about.
Exactly. Just enjoy the better hockey. Enjoy Jacques speedy counter attack system.

But for the love of god, don't go bragging to the main boards while we're second last in the conference and it's almost March.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Yeah, was more thinking about the most recent stretch of games… forgot about Zub, thanks for the fact check… did not watch the game, just the Condensed Game on the NHL channel, when I return home late last night.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I agree to a degree. But there is a pretty seismic change in how they forecheck. They do it in a much smarter way. They've been taught to keep a forward high with a mind towards defending. Then they pressure the puck at all times. In the DJ era all they did was get the puck deep and then attack. but they never had a 5 man unit moving up the ice and the good teams could just break out and cruise through the neutral zone with all 3 of forwards going the wrong way.

We can be more aggressive in the NZ not just by design but because the team has, at least, 3 defenders there. Plus our new staff has demanded that forwards apply back pressure.

As for not getting plastered in our own zone, it's because Martin has implemented a breakout that relies on short passes using the whole zone. DJ had us using only the boards with the exception of the stretch pass, which we tried to rely on. Which was garbage.

Our ability to exit our own zone in control of the puck is what makes us better now.

There are so many changes to our system beyond the lack of collapse. It's night and day,

I tried to tune in to the pregame show and had to turn that garbage off immediately after hearing Dean Brown bullshit about Jacques making little to no changes and « saying the same thing DJ was » but just backing it up with accountability.

Of course the added accountability is a factor, but the system is completely different I couldn’t believe my ears.

TSN 1200’s complicity and water carrying for DJ is a major reason it took way too long for him to get fired. I’m sure he was fun to have a beer with though so what’s another year or two without playoffs?

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Have liked JBD the last 20 while, a perfect guy for the bottom pairing and pressbox when needed.
I agree . He seems like a heart and soul guy who will block whatever it takes, absorb whatever hit, to help the team win.

And he has underrated good hockey sense/vision which is becoming more apparent as the game slows down for him

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
Have liked JBD the last 20 or so, a perfect guy for the bottom pairing and pressbox when needed.
I was thinking last night, this is likely a combination of experience but also some good coaching. I am no longer nervous when he’s on the ice. He is looking competent and has some strengths coming through, translating into some good play.

Reactions: NB613 and DrEasy

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
JBD is starting to come into his own as a bottom 4 D
He's been great, decision making has been a bit quicker, positioning has been solid, he's even holding the zone well and getting pucks on net in the OZ.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
I agree to a degree. But there is a pretty seismic change in how they forecheck. They do it in a much smarter way. They've been taught to keep a forward high with a mind towards defending. Then they pressure the puck at all times. In the DJ era all they did was get the puck deep and then attack. but they never had a 5 man unit moving up the ice and the good teams could just break out and cruise through the neutral zone with all 3 of forwards going the wrong way.

We can be more aggressive in the NZ not just by design but because the team has, at least, 3 defenders there. Plus our new staff has demanded that forwards apply back pressure.

As for not getting plastered in our own zone, it's because Martin has implemented a breakout that relies on short passes using the whole zone. DJ had us using only the boards with the exception of the stretch pass, which we tried to rely on. Which was garbage.

Our ability to exit our own zone in control of the puck is what makes us better now.

There are so many changes to our system beyond the lack of collapse. It's night and day,
The biggest improvement is active sticks and attempts for takeaways and to attack forwards when they receive passes to lock right and left wings. Vegas is still better at this. The difference - Ottawa 19 giveaways and Vegas only 9. Just even up and it an easy win. Vegas has garbage forwards, who still much better at defence. Every pass in the offensive zone goes through the forest of Vegas active sticks. Just rewatch the game.

• Haha
Reactions: Alf Silfversson

misplacedsensfan

Jun 9, 2009
Vancouver
Again, Tarasenko might want to be moved to a contender, of his choice, to increase his value in the UFA market come July 1st.
Whomever he signs with will most likely be his last (retirement) contract, and if the Sens deny him the opportunity to move to a contender, how do you think this affects the relations they’ve made since he’s been here?

If he wants to be moved, he will ask the rookie GM to entertain the offers, and let him know the possibilities….and He will decide to waive his NMC to go to the team of his choice….. Ottawa gets assets in return, they depart on good terms, and perhaps the relationship is something he considers if they make him an offer on July first.
If he doesn’t want to be here, then of course move him for an asset.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
He's been great, decision making has been a bit quicker, positioning has been solid, he's even holding the zone well and getting pucks on net in the OZ.

He's been pretty good.

I'm trying to think of who he reminds me of when he's playing well, and it's a bit like Chris Phillips.

Not that I think he can maintain that level of play with that kind of consistency. More stylistically.

Could he ride shotgun for cheap with a much better defenceman on a regular basis? Hard to say. Not enough evidence yet IMO.

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
For me, JBD is a slightly bigger version of Brannstrom. He isn't great at any one thing, but he does move pretty well. He retrieves pucks and gets them out. I'm just a bit underwhelmed; based on his years at Nodak, I had hopes he would turn into more of a weapon. He is what he is.
That said. Jacques likes him more than I do; he got the 4th highest ice time last night. They seem to trust him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad