Pre-Game Talk: Game 5: Tampa @ Toronto - April 27th, 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Keefes quote today has got to do wonders for Knies and his already high confidence level.

Instead of wondering for 3 days if he's in or out, he can just go and prepare and focus on the game ahead.

Reactions: kb and HolyCrap

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
On one hand, he's better than Lafferty at virtually everything, so he should draw in for an all hands on deck game.

On the other hand, he's a Lightning rod so to speak so he could burn you by taking a bad penalty in the heat of the moment.

On the third hand, he could distract Tampa from the task of playing a real hockey game, so he could be useful.

On the other other hand, you gotta have trust at this time of year and he's damaged that relationship with his antics in Game 1.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Not sure who will be in the lineup but I think it’s obvious you need to get a quick first goal like game 2. Put pressure on them to take chances and open up the ice, then bury your own. Don’t play passive like they have on starts on the road.

Would be a nice game for Samsonov to be an absolute wall.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Would swap Bunting for either one for Lafferty or ZAR, makes most sense to do that and you can run a different amount of combos in the lineup and your much deeper. Lets be real, Toronto might be up 3-1 in the series, but easily could be down 3-1 as well and Bunting isn't a bad player.

Bunting / Matthews / Nylander
Jarnkrok / Tavares / Marner
Knies / RoR / Accari
Kerfoot / Kampf / Lafferty/ZAR

Is the type of example you can do, or switch around the bottom 6 wingers and put Bunting there.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
This series has been rough on the goalies but how many teams switch goalies if they lose 3 straight and their starter throws up an .842 over that stretch (and is .856 overall) like Tampa just experienced?

Tampa, Islanders and Rangers the only teams that go with their starter?

I think the Leafs switch to Woll.
Not a chance Leafs switch to Woll. Switch Vasi and Sammy the last two games and the Leafs come home down 3-1 inatead of up 3-1. If not always about pure numbers. It’s about making big saves at important times.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
It will be unpopular but I would dress Simmer and sit Bunts.
Giving TB a chance to get retribution is not what I would be doing.
We get last change and can manage Simmers and Luke to police if TB gets stupid.
Let Bunts come back in game 6 if we need him
Why would Tampa play stupid when they are on the brink of being eliminated.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
It will be unpopular but I would dress Simmer and sit Bunts.
Giving TB a chance to get retribution is not what I would be doing.
We get last change and can manage Simmers and Luke to police if TB gets stupid.
Let Bunts come back in game 6 if we need him

Short of injuries forcing our hand, Simmonds is never cracking this lineup.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
At the end of the day they can win 8-6, as long as long as they win, I don't care.

But would be to much to ask for a nice, clean, stress free 4-1, maybe 5-1 win.?

A game that builds up Samsonov confidence a little bit, a game that fixes his numbers, a little bit? A 3.72 GAA and an 876 sv % it would be great if those got better, and no that's not defense 876 is not defense.

Also a 4-1 or 5-1 win be great because the last 2 have gone to OT and my pulse has ended up in neck, if your pulse ends up in your neck I think that means you are about to die.

I don't want tod ie so can I please have a nice, clean, stress free Leafs win?

Please?
I'm praying for a one goal win (or a goal and an empty better to seal it). If it's out of reach for Tampa in Game 5 then they'll start gooning it up, but if they have to focus on hockey then they'll do anything to stay out of the box.

A tall order I know, this is going to be the toughest game for the Leafs in about 2 years

Reactions: CLCTrinh

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
If Knies isn't in the game 5 lineup, expect #FireKeef to be trending.
Keefe already said Knies is playing no matter what.

Mike Johnson just had a great point.

When Cooper said he thought Tampa had been the better team 5v5.

"Who cares? The Leafs have been the better team 5v5 for years and it has led to zero series wins"
He’s not wrong.

MAB1

Jul 18, 2022
On one hand, he's better than Lafferty at virtually everything, so he should draw in for an all hands on deck game.

On the other hand, he's a Lightning rod so to speak so he could burn you by taking a bad penalty in the heat of the moment.

On the third hand, he could distract Tampa from the task of playing a real hockey game, so he could be useful.

On the other other hand, you gotta have trust at this time of year and he's damaged that relationship with his antics in Game 1.
On one hand, the Leafs won both games in Tampa. On the other hand, they could've easily been the ones down 3-1 in this series. Those two road games weren't fully dominated by the Leafs.

If the Leafs were the ones down 3-1, would Bunting draw back in game 5? I'd say yes (Knies should've always been in the lineup, Tampa can thank their only win for Keefe trying to galaxy-brain everything)

I'd leave ZAR in and take out Lafferty for Bunts. Bunting-Kampf-ZAR could be a feisty line.

Reactions: Ciao

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
Hey y’all
Question ….?
Recently upon going on this form , a frame like look appears around the edges in different colours??

It shrinks and expands border edge ??
On my iPhone …
Anyone getting this ?
If so how can I make this annoying shhhhhh T
stop ?

Thank you in advance
GLG
I wasn’t claimed on waivers and now I’m playing in the “I” for the Tulsa eggheads …

Sorry for doubting the leafs and actually walking away for the first time .
I hope I get called up soon to the big club
If not
I get it …
GLG

Reactions: BayStBullies

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I'm praying for a one goal win (or a goal and an empty better to seal it). If it's out of reach for Tampa in Game 5 then they'll start gooning it up, but if they have to focus on hockey then they'll do anything to stay out of the box.

A tall order I know, this is going to be the toughest game for the Leafs in about 2 years

I think you missed the part where I said my pluse has been in my neck.

I prefer no heart attacks

Reactions: seventieslord

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
We outplayed Montreal and Tampa last year 5v5 and had nothing to show for it.
We lost the Corsi last night.

1682467993551.png

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
Mike Johnson just had a great point.

When Cooper said he thought Tampa had been the better team 5v5.

"Who cares? The Leafs have been the better team 5v5 for years and it has led to zero series wins"

The late great Al Davis
“ Just win it Baby !

1682474530464.jpeg

That’s the attitude I hope we are building again as the Mighty mighty Maple Leafs once more …
Wouldn’t that be awesome , to be a fan of a team with that pedigree ,stature , swagger and to be known as winners again !
Why not us !
Loved those Raiders of that era !
GLG
GLG GLG !!!

Respect to all these additions at the deadline ..

3-1 Leafs series lead
That’s all that matters for now …
Let’s finish it off

Last edited:

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
Matthews Marner Nylander combine for 24 points after 4 games damn. Gotta think cup is guaranteed if they continue to rack points.

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
This series has been rough on the goalies but how many teams switch goalies if they lose 3 straight and their starter throws up an .842 over that stretch (and is .856 overall) like Tampa just experienced?

Tampa, Islanders and Rangers the only teams that go with their starter?

I think the Leafs switch to Woll.
1682469944236.png

That would be the dumbest decision in the history of dumb decisions. I'm no Keefe fan, but even he wouldn't make that decision.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

I think he has a short leash in this game. Because he's more effective than Lafferty when he's on his game and can play in the top six.

If he is more of a sideshow and they lose, bench him in game 6.

On the fourth line it would be tough for him to lose the team the game. But if he's on and the Leafs need a spark offensively, he can slide up and play in the top 9.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad