GDT: Game 5: Sharks @ Jets 5:00pm NBCSCA

mogambomoroo

Sponsor
Oct 12, 2020
Celebrini and Eklund are injured and Smith is having an off night (Leo Carlsson treatment, which is fine)

We need to address the defence during this season, draft and next offseason. That's the next obvious step.

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
The overreaction to Warsofsky is as bad as the overreaction to Smith. I actually thought they were significantly better their first 3 games of the year and I did see far more of a system in those games than I did last year.

They had a couple of particularly bad games but let’s give them and Warsofsky a chance to learn and grow from this. The fact is, we’re a bad team and most everyone figured we’d be picking top 3 this year, but I’d withhold grand sweeping statements of who should be fired and replaced for a bit, give this team a chance to shake off the dregs of last year and learn to play together.
I don't think Warsofsky should be fired. I think you need a lot of data over a significant number of games before you can start to say that a coach is making the talent he has available less than it should be. But I also read a whole hell of a lot of people talking about how there was no plan and no system under Quinn when Quinn had the same bad defense and the same lack of talent to deal with and now that we have a brand new coach that people want to work out (and I want him to work out as well), plus two new defensemen that are clearly upgrades (even if it's slight) over the guys on last year's roster, it's suddenly only a talent problem and the plan goes unquestioned when we can see with our own two eyes that they struggle every bit as much getting the puck out of their own zone as they did last year with the supposed "lack of plan" or "bad plan."

I don't buy into the argument that the problem is Warsofsky wants to be the player's friend. I'm in no position to evaluate player-coach interactions that I can't see. But I can see the line combinations and I can see what happens on the ice during games and I can see who gets to play and who gets to sit and I can read what I frankly consider to be standard issue bullshit coach-speak pablum like the "We need to be tougher to play against" and then I watch on the ice as the Sharks make the same mistakes over and over.

A coach can't coach a guy who's a third-line talent into being a first-line talent. That's an unreasonable expectation. And my measure of success this year is not number of wins or goal differential. But I do want to see some basic competence out there and have the losses be due to talent differential. Instead I'm seeing a lot of stupid penalties and guys getting wide open due to defensive coverage errors and the sum total of that doesn't even remotely look like the Sharks being even one iota tougher to play against than they were last year.

So yeah, coach, I don't want you fired after three games, but I'm also waiting to be impressed.

Skeksis25

Feb 17, 2023
North Brunswick, NJ
I had zero desire to watch this game once I learned that the only 3 guys that matter right now were not going to play. Its still basically the same team as last year, specially when Celebrini is out, so I'm not surprised that we once again look like one of the worst teams in the league, if not the worst.

I'm not ready to turn on War after 5 games already. I had hoped he would be our Cooper or Bednar type, but maybe he will just be the transitional coach till our team is ready to compete again. Either way, I wasn't expecting him to create magic out of a shitty roster, specially one that is missing its biggest new addition.

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
I had zero desire to watch this game once I learned that the only 3 guys that matter right now were not going to play. Its still basically the same team as last year, specially when Celebrini is out, so I'm not surprised that we once again look like one of the worst teams in the league, if not the worst.
I talked myself into hoping Gushchin might make it worth watching. By the time the third goal went in, the curse words were flying.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
We're the odds-on favorite for worst in the league and we're missing our two best players and our closest D prospect. It was the second of a back-to-back on the road versus a top team. Losing 8-3 shouldn't be surprising. I'm way more surprised at the extreme reactions after 5 games.

The first three games looked materially different, the last two were same old. I'm guessing this will be a repeated pattern this year, sometimes 1 and 3, sometimes 4 and 2, whatever. Everyone should probably get used to it.

Hopefully we don't have three 10 game losing streaks, Celebrini gets healthy, Eklund stays near PPG, and Smith gets his feet under him or at least shows flashes. And we pick Hagens, Martone, Schaefer, Smith, McQueen, or whoever else gets to be exciting in the top 3.

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
We're the odds-on favorite for worst in the league and we're missing our two best players and our closest D prospect. It was the second of a back-to-back on the road versus a top team. Losing 8-3 shouldn't be surprising. I'm way more surprised at the extreme reactions after 5 games.

The first three games looked materially different, the last two were same old. I'm guessing this will be a repeated pattern this year, sometimes 1 and 3, sometimes 4 and 2, whatever. Everyone should probably get used to it.

Hopefully we don't have three 10 game losing streaks, Celebrini gets healthy, Eklund stays near PPG, and Smith gets his feet under him or at least shows flashes. And we pick Hagens, Martone, Schaefer, Smith, McQueen, or whoever else gets to be exciting in the top 3.
All of this, and 100% on the bolded. We have the worst roster in the league and already know we are tanking. People want to send Smith down and fire the coach after a few games. We knew going into the season we would suck - I just want to see the kids develop and land another franchise player which looks very likely.

Reactions: coooldude

CHALUPA

Oct 9, 2008
San Francisco , CA
A coach can't coach a guy who's a third-line talent into being a first-line talent. That's an unreasonable expectation. And my measure of success this year is not number of wins or goal differential. But I do want to see some basic competence out there and have the losses be due to talent differential. Instead I'm seeing a lot of stupid penalties and guys getting wide open due to defensive coverage errors and the sum total of that doesn't even remotely look like the Sharks being even one iota tougher to play against than they were last year.

I think they’ve shown a significant difference from last year in the first 3 games

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
I think they’ve shown a significant difference from last year in the first 3 games
Posters are only looking at the losses. We’ve earned points because we are actually playing more the way Wars wants. To sustain that effort over a season is not only difficult but if players aren’t used to it, they need to step up. That takes time.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
To be fair, there have only been losses 😂
True. That doesn’t mean we are terrible. If we had won those OT games and “won” the shootout (I hate the shootout) we’d be talking differently. This is a game of inches. An inch too high and you hit the post. That the Jets hit the spots yesterday is amazing.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
I mean after getting the Goodrows and Cecis of the world it was clear this year's objective was Hagens, don't know why anyone is surprised.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I mean after getting the Goodrows and Cecis of the world it was clear this year's objective was Hagens, don't know why anyone is surprised.
I expected to see some sort of template for what War has planned for the year. Is it nurturing the young talent and letting them endure the bumps and bruises regardless of the results or is it putting the best product on the ice to maximize whatever chances we have of winning games. With Celebrini in the line-up it's easy to find a way to do both since he's that good, but without him in the line-up I'm not quite sure War had a plan B.

Reactions: luiginb

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
The team desperately needs the youthful energy and desire of Celebrini and to a lesser extent, Smith and Eklund.

Outside of Toffoli, that's basically the Sharks offense.

What I watched yesterday is what I would describe as the perfect tank team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad